Posts by Gjones

I’m not a sophisticated Kemper user yet, but I do like the iOS RM. It feels somewhat “version 1.0” but that’s ok. I am optimistic that it will get better. A few suggestions:

• Have the app automatically disable “auto lock” when the app is open. This is surely possible, as some other apps do this. If you use Access Point Mode, if auto lock puts the iPad to sleep, the connection to the Kemper unit is lost. And you have to keep repeating the camera/QR code dance.
    • Make the camera accessible from within the app (for reasons similar to above).
    • Are there other ways to access Home Network Mode besides WPS that could be implemented? Many routers do not allow access via WPS as it is considered unsecure. Access Point Mode fine, except that it is limited in that it renders all other iPad functions that depend on wifi useless.
    • Implement some way to revert control settings to default or stored values, as with the computer based rig manager.
    • Implement an alternative method of displaying control values during editing, as the finger covers the value display when manipulating the control.

I'm excited about the iPad version of Rig manager. I agree with Tallen that the app feels really new, and needs some refining. But I'm optimistic. A few observations:

• I was looking forward to using the Home Network Mode. Unfortunately it depends on your router having WPS capability. I have Eero routers, and unfortunately their website says that "...eero doesn’t support WEP, WPA, or WPS, as these protocols are known to be insecure." So that relegates me to the Access Point Mode.
    • Access Point Mode works fine, except that it requires going through a setup procedure that requires using the camera to read a QR code displayed on the Kemper display every time it is used. This is somewhat annoying, but unavoidable, given that there is no alternative if you don't have WPS.
    • More annoying is that when the iPad goes to sleep or locks in Access Point Mode, you have to re-link the iPad to the Kemper using the camera/QR code dance. To avoid this, set your iPad's Auto Lock to "never." But it is easy to forget to do that when you start a session, so this can be annoying. However, it is possibly correctable by Kemper. I know that other apps (Amplitube comes to mind) automatically disables the sleep/lock function when you are in the app. Kemper would be well-advised to add that feature. I'm going to add this to the Feature Requests thread.
    • When you use Access Point Mode, your iPad disconnects from your WiFi network so it can join the Kemper "private network." So the iPad basically becomes a dedicated rig editing device, and useless for any other purpose that requires internet access until you terminate your Kemper session. This is unfortunate, but probably not correctable, since you can't have an iPad on two networks at once.