Posts by Zenmaster

Wasn't it $40 before? This $60 is for the black Friday discount? :)

I see some so-so reviews on YouTube comments from those who've used it.. so I don't know if to pull the trigger..

I don't want to be disappointed.

I know nothing about IRs and look for profiles that sounds good out of the box without many tweaking.

Heavy bundle 3 is the best high gain pack I've ever purchased.. Other profiles just sounds less lively/real when A/B-ing with it.

I just wish he will profile JP2C one day because the magic he does with my gear seems to work well together (without tweaking, out of the box)..

By the way, Josh recommends using the EQ on his profiles when playing live and switch it off for recording.

No problem. Ye, I see your problem with this..

I'm really liking this, hopefully it will show up at a euro retailer soon. I have strap locks on all guitars but I would only use this at home where I quite often move between sitting and standing an adjusting the strap is so boring that I just don't do it.

Standing up I want it low because. that looks cool.

Exactly! Sitting/standing up is so different..

I've just played with it for an hour standing up and I've played in a much lower position than I used to.. because I finally could :D I had just one length which was pretty high and that's what I knew.. It's so much easier on the wrist for low frets chords/riffing.. I didn't know that!

and ye looks cool :D

Switching from low to high position again was so smooth and easy.. Real fun.

They ship worldwide from what I see on their site (Looks like shipping to Europe is extra $9.95)

Can't wait to put it on my heavy Gibson Les Paul and see the effect...

It's really comfortable and works as intended. The mechanism and this cable seems robust.
    It's so cool how easily I can switch between playing chords and riffs to playing solos in the higher frets (shorten it in a sec) without the usual discomfort or need to hold it in the air or lean on my leg or something...

So functionality-wise I'd give it a 10 :D

The cons I found are:

- The looks.. It's kinda bulky.. If they could make this main part flatter/smaller it would be much better.

- For strap locks (as in my guitar, see below), you need to move the strap lock from the strap to the drop for the part that connects to the guitar body, and it makes where the drops cable connect to the strap not secure enough..

I secured it with this rubber thingy I had (great solution, it fixes the problem), so it would be great if they could include something like that in the drop's package.

I mostly care about practicality and comfortability and less about the looks so it's a winner for me ;)

Yes, it adds about 5.5 inches. I've shorten mine (EBMM strap) for the shortest needed when the drop is at minimum (no cable shown) but I wasn't at the shortest length before the drop, so it worked for me.

If you're already at the shortest possible length then yes, you'll have to shorten the straps to use it.

I've ordered 3 and just installed the first one. It's amazing! :D

"How nobody thought about it before" is an understatement..

https://dropstrap.com/

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'd try the following steps:

1. Amp Definition

2. Low cut at the output settings (I set 80-120 but my room is untreated) or at the profile settings if it's just this one...

3. Green Scream with minimum gain before the amp (or one of the new drives, didn't try yet and don't know how they stack)

4. Throw the profile and find a better one :)

I've upgraded from Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to 8i6 to be able to reamp (needed the SPDIF). I have a Kemper Stage.

I think I've managed to configure the input/outputs Focusrite Control and the DAW (Studio one).

In the DAW I've added 3 inputs - SPDIF stereo (5-6), SPDIF L (5) and SPDIF R (6).

What should I do in the DAW and in the Kemper settings (output) when I record Stereo vs Mono?

Because I prefer to record stereo from the Kemper when it's clean or solo (wet, effects from Kemper only)

and record Mono when it's rhythm (dry and double tracked).

Stereo seems Ok, but I'm not sure how to record mono correctly, as the SPDIF connected as Stereo.

What should I do to record mono?

P.S I haven't tried yet, but I understand that from the Kemper Stage I should use Send 1 to send the direct with a TS cable (because there's no Direct output), is that correct?

P.P.S For anyone thinking Analog vs SPDIF with a Focusrite device - I've read a lot before that the differences are pretty inaudible,

but I hear a BIG difference when monitoring the Kemper through the daw with headphones - It's much better IMO with the SPDIF compared to the XLR and TRS I tried before with the 2i2.

I've received a formal answer from Focusrite saying that "When using the connections on the front of the device the signal will always pass through the 2i2s preamp circuit", no matter the cable type, so it makes sense..

Thanks, I'll check those picks, because it's probably due to my technique and pick selection.

Good to have that confirmed and that it's not something else..

I hold the pick at 45 degree angle which seems to cause more noise than parallel to the strings.

The pick itself - Ernie Ball mini prodigy 2.0, sure doesn't help for the noise..

I got used to this pick and it helped my playing so I don't think I'll change for all situations - maybe just for recording some solo parts.

That's where the main issue is.. Not when playing chords/rhythm.

It won't let me listen but I know there are a couple of profiles that are very active upper midrangy & gainy that really amplify when I mute the strings hard in a way and it almost sounds like a click from a DAW that has too small a buffer size. At first I thought there was something wrong with the profile clipping or something but found that it only occurred on certain passages I played. It was my technique. When I play the same thing the same way on other profiles or amps you don't notice it but one certain profile (a paid one from a top profiler) is so live and just at the right frequency that it makes the way I mute particular passages jump out. Personally I kinda like to hear strings squeaking a little and I noticed some profiles making that more pronounced. There is a lot of finger sensitivity available on a Kemper to control. More than most amps. Like I said, I couldn't hear your clip but try another rig or maybe check the definition in the amp menu?

Thanks I'll check that. I've edited the first post with SoundCloud now.
    Seems like G Drive is weird with audio files...

Hi,

Please listen to:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I play with a 2.0m prodigy pick.

What's causing the squeaky noise?

Is it the specific Kemper profile used?

Other settings on the Kemper that should help with it?

Something that should be controlled in the DAW?

Thanks

Great starting point Zenmaster , very well done! Really like how you did it.

Thank you! :) Really appreciated. It's great to get such feedback for my first work.

The singer does a great job 8o ...cool idea to take such a track and work around it. I wonder how you managed to put it into the timing. But it fits really well.

Ha ha :D Ye.. He was pretty good.

I worked on the exact same BPM so overall it fitted pretty well inside each part, but I had to cut the parts where it started to be off and adjust it to fit (tiny movements trial and error). See the red track below.. Some were really tiny milliseconds adjustments..

I like the rythm guitar sounds, that's a great Marshall. Thick sound. Overall the guitars are a bit too upfront in the mix for me. Typical trapp for guitar player's mixes (I'm sooooooo guilty!). Especially during the solos the drums get too far in the background and are not very punchy any more. I need to listen to it rather loud again to hear what's going on in the lower frequencies and how the bass does. Drums overall a bit dry, could benefit from some reverb. Just my 2 cents :)

Thank you for all the suggestions. Makes complete sense..
    This loud guitars trap is indeed very big - you get to a great guitar tone and you don't want it to be buried :P
    I'll gather more feedback and then head back to a fixing session.

Hi,

This is my first recording and using a DAW (ever). I did this to mostly learn how to record from Kemper, using the DAW (Studio one) and plugins (EZDrummer, EZBass, EZMix and others).

The great Marshall rhythm profiles (Katzbach JVM410) inspired me to start with this one although it's quite different than what I plan to record next with my ideas (more hard-rock/metal direction). I found an isolated track of David Bowie's vocals and added it as well.

In the end I was like 90% happy with it, but thought it's better to move on and start recording my own stuff. Now that I pretty much control the software.

It sounded a bit over-compressed to me first, so I've made it less compressed in the end, trying to give it some more air...

https://drive.google.com/file/…OpfVqrE9/view?usp=sharing

Not much to do about my playing.. It is what it is (I'm a self-taught "eternal beginner") :D

However, please share with my your advice about the recording/mixing/mastering.. What could I do better?

Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Thanks for listening.

And as John Petrucci says: "The ideal guitar sound is a little ugly."

I wouldn't take his word for it... :D

External Content youtu.be

So again we have someone connecting XLR instead of TRS. For this audio interface it's basically the same like the Focusrite example I discussed before. XLR is for microphone, TRS is for line inputs. See how low he turned the gain knob to have it not clip in the digital realm?

These kind of basic mistakes can cause things like "fizz" (I really don't like this term). Impedance mismatch, preamp overload, plenty of things can go wrong.

Thanks for that - I currently plug the Kemper stage to Focusrite scarlett 2i2 with two XLR to XLR cables (L & R).

I don't hear any fizz or problem with the sound, but indeed the gain on the focusrite set really really low (almost all the way to the left) so it won't clip.

I'll get XLR to TRS as you suggested. So after I'll switch the cables the gain could be set higher (like 12 o'clock) without clipping?

For the OP - My suggestion for high-gain after spending hundreds on commercial profiles, get Josh Middleton heavy tones 3 pack

Hi,

I'm after Petrucci JP2C tones and I've got both paid and free profiles that didn't work well for me in FRFR (Kones).

I'm happy with the clean and lead rigs I have, but not rhythm. Some profiles sounded great with headphones, but not great at all on FRFR (Choptones for example).

I've just found that SinMix also have their take on this amp, but I didn't find a lot of reviews or info about it (here and online).

Since the price is quite steep (especially after what I've already spent chasing this), I'd appreciate any review from those who are using it..

Also let me know if you know any other less known JP2C profile packs from other providers that worked well for you..

Thanks!