Posts by JinxDefusing

hey I know this is super late, but I thought I would reply anyways.

Check out Gold Lion Studios. The owner, Max, sells a ton of Kemper profiles. I was on the fence about whether to purchsae any, and I sent him a message on facebook describing the kinds of tones I was looking for. He was able to recommend a few different profile packs that he had and sent me a few profiles for free so that I can try them out for myself. They were exactly what I was looking for.

If you have the money, it's absolutely worth buying the bundle with all of his profile packs. But this does cost about $100 or so. I'm stingy as hell, and never imagined I would spend that much all at once on profiles. In case you are wondering, if he puts out any new packs after you purchase all of the profiles, he will send you an email with a free download link (this isn't a lifetime deal or anything, but he will at least hook you up with the next couple of packs that he puts out).

If you are on a tight budget, that's understandable. I highly recommend two profile packs in particular, if you want a great 90s pop punk/ skate punk kind of tone. The Marshall JMP Mk2 Master Model pack is excellent, especially if you wanna go for something with higher treble. If you need something a little thicker (more chuggin/ palm mutes), you cannot go wrong with the Dual Rectifier pack.

I discovered Gold Lion about 3 or 4 years ago, and they are still my favorite profiles to this day. Trust me; Max is your guy.

This. Sounds. Awesome.

before my inner eye I already see, that I just have one or two great profiles from each amp I want and go from there. This is what threw me off the first time I used the profiler (to have 20 or 30 profiles of one amp for every different setting).

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I was a bit confused and a little disappointed when I first learned that the profiler isn't like some sort of tool that let's you replicate the tone knobs from a specific amplifier. I guess that's when I learned the difference between profiling and modeling. But even without this, the capabilities of the profiler were still mind blowing. I thought maybe I don't actually need to fiddle with the tone of these profiles because someone already spent time dialing in a bunch of great sounds for each profile htey created. So I went ahead and took a dive. It is probably one of the best music-related investments I have ever made. It's the sort of technology that I never would have believed was going to exist in my lifetime, to be honest.

But now... now, I'm reading about how the Kemper can and will allow users to interact with the EQ knobs that will match up with the response curves of the real deal. And.... let me get this straight. This is just going to be a part of an upcoming firmware update? I don't have to buy a new model? Also, does htis mean that a kemper is no longer just a profiler? Doesn't this mean it's also a modeling amp?

Also, does this mean I no longer have to deal with having 6,000 JCM800 profiles? It's totally insane, because after a few years, i really only ever use maybe 4 of these profiles.

I'm so hard right now.

But I had some time off from work and was determined to work on a song. I ordered some strings online, but couldn't wait to get started on something. And so I decided to just work with what I had in the meantime. Who needs the 2nd and 5th string anyways, right?

Here's a cover of "Bread, Cheese, Bow, and Arrow" by Future of the Left. In case you are wondering, I tuned to AAGE ^^

I use a strat and usually only tune half a step down haha... so my guitar was really not happy about this. I treated it to a full set up once I got new strings, so we cool again.

I'm looking for a bass rig with a sound like Skate Punk bassists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-8skzQCH0c

Any recommendations?

I believe he uses a mesa boogie head (I would literally not even know that mesa boogie makes bass amp heads if it wasn't for him. I don't think I've ever seen/heard anyone else play through one) through an ampeg cab. It's just the typical SVT 8x10. I can get pretty much the same tone through the UAD SVT-3 Pro amp sim or the SVT-CL profiles from Rock Profiles. Specifically, it's the profile called "RP SVT-CL ULT LH3 T2".

OK, so... let me preface this by saying that I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to profile their amps and provide them for free or for sale. But that one specific profile is the only bass profile of an SVT (any model) that sounds passable to me. I have tried well over 100 profiles over the last 4 years. I have spent at least $50 on bass profiles. I can't dial in anything that sounds acceptable to my ears on any SVT profiles except for that one in particular. I am probably bat shit crazy and hella rigid, so take this for what it's worth. I do have a few orange profiles that I think sound great. And I have some B15 profiles that I think are amazing. But out of the 100+ SVT profiles that I have, this is the only one that I can actually use. And it can get you pretty close to that 90s punk sound that I heard as a kid and made me go, "oh shit! bass is like super important! That sounds pretty rad!"

Even then, it's about 50/50.... I mostly use my kemper for home studio stuff. I always just record a DI track of my bass. Then, I print that track twice: once through the kemper, and once with the UAD amp sim that I mentioned. About half the time, the amp sim wins. That's just how it goes with bass, tbh. I would never use a guitar amp sim ever again, but bass amp sims still sound really good compared to a kemper profile.

The pick is pretty much mandatory. You already have that covered. But here's the thing.... this is pretty crucial.... Fat Mike's sound has a lot to do with the strumming pattern that he frequently uses. He almost always starts each measure with an upstroke. Give it a shot. The first time I tried it like 20 years ago, my teenage mind was blown away.

Hi everyone,

I've played guitar for over 20 years, and I have only recently become interested in using more effects pedals. I've always been a big fan of many distortion, fuzz, and overdrive pedals throughout the years. But I never had any interest whatsoever when it came to reverbs, delays, pitch shifters, phasers, chorus, etc....

In short, I have never used anything in my effects loops. That is true for my old tube amps and my kemper.

So anyways, I just got these old analog delay and chorus pedals, and I'm excited to use them with my Kemper in my home studio setup. A few things I would like clarification on before I mess something up:

First of all, how well does the Kemper even take to pedals? The kemper has a pretty sweet arsenal effects built in, so is it even worth it to bother with pedals (especially in a studio setting)?

Next, I understand why I wouldn't want to run the pedals before the kemper. Basically, what I should do is try to run the effects after the amp, but before the cab simulation in the kemper.

That must be what the Sends and Returns are for, right? This is basically just an effects loop?

Also, doesn't the signal get converted after the amp processing? In other words, won't the kemper be sending a line level signal into the delay pedal? isn't that going to be problematic? Does the delay pedal return an instrument level signal into the kemper, and is that problematic? If this stuff ends up in line level, then should I be using a TRS cable, or does it not matter?

What parameters do I need to be mindful of when setting this up? And I mean the parameters on the Kemper. I'm guessing it's not a simple plug and play.

Mono/ stereo... ok so... I might get two chorus pedals eventually. But not yet. And I just want to start with my delay (mono effect).

Since this is for a recording, I thought I would take advantage of the Kempers output routing. I would like to separate the amp sound and the effects, that will just give me more options once it's all in the box. I don't care about doing a DI right now.

My main output will be mono through an XLR. Do I select "Stack" for this output configuration? I've read the manual several times, but I am still confused about the difference between all of these outputs.

For the effects, I am guessing that I should use a mono output, since the pedal outputs in mono. How would I separate this? I could use spdif. Would that work? Do I select the "wet" configuration as the output?

Sorry guys, all these effects shenanigans are part of what kept me away for so long, but I don't want to keep avoiding it. Any help is appreciated.

SOLVED! The problem was with Windows 11 ! I know that y"all are shocked. I ran the large windows update yesterday and the latest Rig Manager went in and works just like it did before. Thanks to those who offered assistance.

Thanks- I will try doing the same. I've owned my kemper for about 2 years now. Rig Manager worked perfectly for about a year. Since then, it is completely unreliable. I have no idea why it won't just work as expected. After dicking around on my computer for hours, I can usually get it to work again. I'm not sure what exactly "fixes" the issue., but rig manager will start to function normally. unfortunately, more issues are guaranteed to surface within about a week or 2.

The Kemper profiler is absolutely marvelous. Revolutionary. A real game changer. I honestly can't believe this thing exists.

How can something this magnificent get paired with the worst software I have ever used? I am at my wit's end with Rig Manager. It works just fine most of the time. But when I run into problems, the entire application becomes completely unusable. This happens at least once a week. I have to re-install it 4 or 5 times and dick around on my computer for an hour or two in order to get it to work again. I just cannot believe this is so unreliable.

Yes, you're right. There are a few different kinds of problems people are running into. But, some good news, I suppose it is suddenly "working" now, I can open the software.

The installer ends prematurely. But I am able to open the app anyways. I think I will just never try updating it again because I don't want to tinker around with it for an hour until it starts working, for reasons unbeknownst to me. I just want to use something that will allow me to browse through my rigs. The software currently does that, so I don't see the point in every applying future updates. Of course, I may be forced to if I want to update the profiler OS. I think I'll just refrain from applying any sort of updates whatsoever.

came here to ask if anyone could help with rig manager never updating correctly. It seems like I have to uninstall and reinstall about 5 or 6 times and delete everything in my registry until I get lucky and it just starts working one day. I'm seriously fed up with this prroblem as it's been a constant for the last year and a half.

Lo and behold, I come to the forum, and every thread is about this. So I'm assuming this software is just a disaster on windows and there is no chance for stability, right? Excuse the pessimism, but I really don't want to read through dozens of threads just to find out what I already know- this software doesn't work.

Anyone?

Has it always been like this, any maybe I am just now noticing? Like... any part of the signal that doesn't have an EQ boost drops off so much. I don't think the boosts that I am making are very drastic. I guess that's the point of proportional Q though... ie huge boosts can be made and the Q is adjusted so as to not sound harsh...

I think I will play around with the massive passive to or a pultec to see if the broader Q is more along the lines of what I am expecting. Still.. I really can't believe it would take me years before noticing this. And it doesn't explain why EVERY SINGLE EQ curve looks almost identical, regardless of the EQ settings, guitar knob twearking, or amp settings that I use.

here's an example.... what is going on with this EQ curve? Look at the settings on my API strip... ?!? For the most part, this looks more or less OK. It's that sudden sharp cut at around 6khz... I have never seen this up until a few weeks ago.

in case you are wondering, I used a jazz bass deluxe ( the one with the active EQ). The knob settings do not reflect the end result that we see in the spectral analysis. Also... I have ears, and this doesn't sound right.

A few weeks ago, I noticed something funny is happening whenever I record anything using my kemper. LIterally, anything and everything. I record guitar and bass through it. I have 2 bass profiles that I like a lot and switch between. For guitar, I have about 6 profiles that I have been using lately.

here's the strange part....

Every single EQ curve looks almost identical. it's basically a happy face EQ with a very sharp roll-off on the high end.. It's as if I set a low shelf up to around 200 hz, a deep and sharp cut at 1khz, and then a steep high cut at around 6k, but that's not what I'm setting up at all.

I record through an apollo. I have used different preampsa and channel strips, and have used all sorts of EQ settings. But the result is always that same exact curve. I don't know where that would even come from because I wouldn't ever cut everything above 6k on either guitar or bass. I also typically double track my guitar, one track is scooped, and the other has a bit of a presence boost. But I have always done most of the EQing with the channel strip on the way into my DAW.

this is just crazy cus I have no idea what to do and I end up having to use extreme EQ settings when I mix my tracks and I really don't like to do a whole lot of processing at this stage. I usually just do a bit of surgical eq and panning to fix problems with masking and create more space whenever I mix in the box . I am assuming this must have something to do with the kemper because my vocals are not scooped when they are recorded.

Has anyone run into this before? Let me know if there are any other details I can provide that might help you get an idea about what on earth is going here.

2 year old thread? meh..

I have also been on a very long hunt for some solid mk1 profiles. Not a Santana fan. I am looking for the sound that God created, which you can hear on Weezer's blue album. It is not on any other their other 20-ish garbage records. But let's not speak of those.

The top Jimi profiles are ok. I used one of my big muffs to give the signal a slight boost, and it sort of does the trick for me. But not quite. Gold Lion Studios has some amazing profiles. Seriously, buy the all profiles bundle. You will not regret it. No mk though. There's a mk3 and mk5, and they get me pretty close!

I have nothing else for you though.

Please, does anyone know of any others?

Sorry- I can be very.. verbose. lol..

But it sounds like you did understand my question. Thanks for letting me know that it's worked just fine for you.

That is also what I did when I first got the Kemper (except I would just do a mono track). When I had shared my setup with some folks over at the UAD forums, I was told that Unison won't work that way (at least, not as "intended"). It's similar to doing guitar/bass->fx pedal->apollo. A few people said something about how it's problematic to have the kemper/pedal in the the signal chain in between the instrument and the apollo. I do not know much about impedance and the mechanism that underlies unison, so I just took their word for it.

I'm starting to suspect that is a bunch of BS though haha.. Like you said, the plugin works just fine in the unison slot. And it sounded great (which is honestly, the only thing that really matters at the end of the day). I'm just going to go ahead and ignore the feedback that was given to me on the UAD forums.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I have a bit if a dilemma, wondering if anyone knows a workaround. Maybe the solution is right under my nose.

I use an Apollo Twin USB interface, and I absolutely love this thing. I've had it since before I had my Kemper. Those of you with UAD interfaces know about the Unison feature. One of my all time favorite plugins is the API Vision Channel Strip. For those who don't have UAD, Unison is when you place a plugin into the first insert slot. Then, when you track an instrument, the Apollo interacts with the signal as if it was whatever gear is emulated in the plugin that is placed in Unison. basically, It's as if I am actually tracking through an API Vision console (at least it's pretty close).

I love tracking bass with the API Vision in the unison slot. Crank up the gain, and it adds the most amazing color to my bass track. However, in order to use the Unison feature, you have to plug straight into one of the Apollo's analog inputs (Hi-Z or mic input are both fine). But you cannot have anything in between the instrument cable/ mic cable and the interface (e.g. an effects pedal) in order for this to work.

As far as I know, it's the same with the Kemper. I can't use the Kemper's analog/ SPDIF out into the Apollo without losing the Unison feature.

Please tell me you have found a way to track through the Kemper while still using Unison.

If not... what do you think about this idea...

I could track bass/guitar without the Kemper. Just a straight DI. That would let me use Unison. Then I can reamp with the Kemper. Is this a good idea? Am I dealing with too many conversions at that point?

What I've done is just use the Kemper's SPDIF out (without Unison). This works fine. But the Apollo's preamp and Unison feature are excellent... Is there something I'm missing? Maybe there's a routing option that I haven't considered.

Let me know!

Thanks for the reply.

1) check

2) I see. I have one spdif cable. Technically two, but one goes from my Apollo (optical input) to a converter. And the Apollo has a single input for spdif. I do not believe it even has a spdif output, so I have to reamp with analog outputs (no big deal though).

3) yes, it is.

well. It looks like there is really no way around this problem unless I get a new interface. And that's not something I will consider doing for a pretty long time. I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard of this issue before. I have chatted with plenty of people who use a Kemper with their Apollo. Perhaps they don't use spdif...

OK, well, I appreciate the help.

Hi everyone,

I'm having a strange problem using my Kemper Stage Profiler for music production. In short, whenever I have my Kemper set as the master clock, all audio frequently cuts out for about 3-5 seconds. The interesting part is that this never happens while I'm recording the output from my Kemper. I mostly only experience the issue during playback. I also have this problem whenever I am just monitoring the Kemper (without recording) while dialing in my tone. This could be a problem with my other hardware, or some of the software I'm using. However, I only have this problem when the Kemper is set as the master clock. I have never experienced this before having a Kemper.

my set up:
    Kemper Stage Profiler

Apollo Twin USB

Reaper

I am using the main outputs (XLR) to track the Kemper FX, and the s/pdif out for git analog and master mono. I have set the Kemper as the master clock at 44.1 kHz

When the sound cuts out, the tracks are still playing, but I don't hear anything. All channels are muted.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. One solution is to, of course, only set the Kemper to the master clock if I'm recording guitar tracks. Is this what I'm supposed to be doing? I'd rather not have to switch back and forth during some sessions where I am just focused on tracking guitars.

Thanks!

Frst off, my apologes for the varous typos. Splled beer on my keyboard last nght, and now the "eye" key does not work. "eye", as n the letter "eye". And my backspace won't work ether. Among many other thngs Anyways....

Got my kemper profler stage n the mal yesterday. Absolutely love ths thng. Wll never buy another amp or use an amp smulaton agan. 'Was usng ampltube , kazrog,. UAD plugns, lne 6 pod and helx, THthree, mercurall, gutar rg 5,..... you name t, and eye used t. Not only was t a pan n the ass to swtch between all of these plugns to fnd the smulator that worked best for the project at hand, they all sound substandard compared to the kemper. Now, all the best s n one place. And the kemper s not as hard to use as thought t would be, even though t took me ab out an hour to fgure out why my kemper was not recordng to my daw. Kemper wll truly save us all. actually fell asleep on the damn thng because ddn't want to go to bed. would say that the kemper s even better than a computer keyboard as a surface for fallng asleep on.

so 've been usng an xlr cable as my master mono out. And use an nstrument cable as a second mono out to record a dry sgnal for potental reampng.

eye have been readng about usng spdf. not sure f wll actually notce a dfference n qualty, but want to be able to record everythng, ncludng the dry sgnal, n stereo. Because why not?

Between xlr and nstrument cables, there are only three nputs on the apollo twn. s t accurate to say that the only way for me to record everythng n stereo s by gong the spdf route?the dry sgnal wll be analog, so t wll have to be converted on the way nto the nterface, but thnk can lve wth ths.

the apollo has an optcal nput for spdf. Do eye need a converter? or can buy a coaxal to optcal cable?