Posts by dacop1313

The Kemper power amp into a guitar cab will sound very much the same as tube power amp into a guitar amp if the tube power amp is 'full' bandwith and operated linearly. The Kemper provides ALL the tone and the power amp should not add any further 'color'. You can't guarantee this in your situation. In light of that, I would do what V8guitar suggests.

I am sorry but I disagree, have you ever tried using the Kemper's solid state power and then shut it down and switch over to a tube powered amp's loop return? If not I suggest you do and you will indeed hear a huge difference with that same exact profile. Please try it if you haven't, then let me know what you think.

I would assume you will be using some sort of tube amp at this venue that has an effects loop?...you want to go into the Return as mentioned above with the Kemper CAB off in the settings as also mentioned above. Do you own a tube amp with a loop? The reason I ask is because I HIGHLY recommend you going into that and testing the profile(s) you will be using because they will sound tremendously different from what you were hearing when using an FRFR setup. You can either tweak on stage before the gig or get an idea at home first on what to expect.

I have a powered Kemper head. When using the same profile with different setups (powered FRFR/Kemper's Power Amp into a real cabinet/Tube amp power into a real cabinet) they all sound different.

Here is what dacop1313 said about Kemper (!!) only a few weeks ago:

Kemper Power Head w/Real Cabinet

"Well, I finally figured it out, playing a powered Kemper head with a real cabinet takes lots of EQ-ing. Maybe its just not made for that, most profiles are dark and honky and need to be EQed, in some cases very drastic. I also find many DI profiles are too bassy and mid honky. I found the stock "Vintage" EQ preset does a pretty good job in shaping the profile to start, then taking it from there on the front controls. And yes...my CAB/IRs are off."

And now that same guy tells us how bad Tonex sounds with real cabs. Sometimes it's definitely not the gear that is the problem...

And I still stand by what I said, I do not like the Kemper's power amp that's built into the head, its that simple, I probably should have purchased the Stage model instead. What does this have to do with me not liking the Tonex? I like the Kemper and Helix using a real tube poweramp and a real cabinet. I play live, I'm not interested in CAB, IRs, FRFR and playing in front of a PC. The Kemper and Helix sound much better to me then the Tonex when using a real poweramp and real cabinet. Again...what does my comments about the built in power amp have to do with the Tonex?

The consensus from whom? All of the paid-for youtube reviews that say "It's a gamechanger" at the same time? Everyone I've seen is so over-processed with tons of gain. One guy talks of how it's sooo inexpensive compared to Kemper and procedes to put it through his $3000 pedal board and probably $2000 amp. Come on man. What major artists have them out on the road? Where are the videos of people using "the gamechanger" live sounding like a specific amp? Hey, I'm ALWAYS wanting more and better but this is way less right now.

You are 100% right, all these YouTube guys getting paid to tell you how great this thing is and its not, but they cant be honest because of their cash flow. Most of these guys are also sit at home players, they are using 5" studio monitors and IRs, what about live settings? In one video when the reviewer plays the Tonex through a SD 170 SS poweramp and a Mesa 4x12, you can tell he doesnt like it but never really says that...of course not! Hey...maybe its good for recording, but live....no way would I ever use this thing over the Helix or Kemper.

I only have Tonex Pedal for one day. But no way does Helix sound better - are your serious? Not even with Tonex factory presets (there are some gems also). With real cabs I don't use tube power amp, but Hotone Loudster or Rocktron Mainline. Tonex Pedal does have some points that could be improved (no real editor yet...), but soundwise it is in another league (galaxy) than Helix line! And at least as good as Kemper.

There is NO WAY that Tonex sounds better then a HELIX. I tried like hell to like this thing to sound good, again I do not use or like CABs or IRs. I use a tube poweramp and a real v30 cabinet. After I was done jerking around with it, I went back to the Helix and Kemper and it wasnt even close. That Tonex through a power amp and real cabinet reminded me of a Line 6 spider combo.

Bummer! Personally I've never been impressed with Amplitube in any form, so am not too surprised. I imagined that the pedal could be tweaked with some custom captures and deep editing, but if the normal amps sounded like Amplitube, I imagined it wouldn't be for me...

Yes...with some tweaking it gets better, but nothing like a Kemper or Helix. For the 400 bucks you are better off spending a little bit more and buying the Line6 Stomp, the amp models sound allot better.

I am not sure if this post belongs here and I apologize if it doesn't, but I just got the new Tonex and think is sounds...well...bad. I should point out that I play both my Kemper and Helix though tube power amps and a real 2x12 cab w/V30s. I went the same route with the Tonex, cab sims off, and it just doesnt cut it for me. Both Kemper and Helix piss on it with that type of setup. I guess the Tonex is more for FRFR and recording, dont know. I would certainly never use this thing live...its going back tomorrow.

Well, I finally figured it out, playing a powered Kemper head with a real cabinet takes lots of EQ-ing. Maybe its just not made for that, most profiles are dark and honky and need to be EQed, in some cases very drastic. I also find many DI profiles are too bassy and mid honky. I found the stock "Vintage" EQ preset does a pretty good job in shaping the profile to start, then taking it from there on the front controls. And yes...my CAB/IRs are off.

You could, but you wouldn't be gaining anything and most likely mucking up the sound of a good profile with dissimilar tube distortion. I'll take your "real" amp and profile it. In a blind test you won't be able to tell which is your very own amp and which is the profile. The "real" amp will do nothing more than burn more calories lugging around.

All noted, but I am not an FRFR guy. I use a real cabinet with my powered Kemper or I use a tube amp for power.

I went down that track when I first got the Kemper. Set it up so my signal went into the Kemper for the Stomps, then out to the amp for the preamp, then back to the Kemper for the Effects, then back to the amp for the power amp.

It was honestly a waste of time and there's no easy way to use the Kemper amp profiles when you've committed to that set up. You get 1 amp unless you have a separate footswitch for amp channel, in which case you're now a tap dancer. 🙂

Noted and thanks!

Is it possible to use the Kemper with a real amp? Utilizing the real amps power section when using profiles and also using the Kemper's effects when using the real amp? What is the 4CM setup for this if possible? And how do you switch back and forth to the Kemper and real amp? (using a real cabinet of course). Thanks

Having spent around $150.00 in paid profiles from the most popular profilers and packs, I can safely say that the money was well spent in the effect that it showed me I could have easily not bought a single one and done just fine with factory content and free rig packs. I don't regret buying (most of) them as I only spent what you would on an FX stomp and make nice references but really there's everything you would want available for free. You can take ONE good profile and make a clean,crunch or metal sound from it. I could probably choose 3 profiles and make an entire rig to play in a group covering everything from Johnny Cash, Beachboys to Avenged Sevenfold or White Zombie.

I agree 100%! Find a few good free ones and work on them to your liking and you are good to go. I use my powered head with a real 2x12 cabinet, so I find the DI profiles better for that type of setup, but you can certain get great results with some tweaking from Studio and Merged.

I've never purchased a profile and proud to say so. Although, I have scooped up on any free ones that Commercial Profilers give away. Any profile you use you will have to tweak to your own liking anyway.

Get fluent with the free profiles and tweaking. Check out free profiles on Rig Exchange with 3 - 5 star ratings (but even Zero star ratings can be good). And ask lots of questions.

You are spot on! I have purchased many profiles in the past and found that I had to tweak them all anyway. There are MANY great profiles available for free and its not hard to find them. Fine one thats close to what you are looking for and tweak away, just like you would do with a so called "professional" profile. I usually tweak the Definition setting first, then work on the front panel EQ.