Posts by dacop1313

What I didn;t appreciate prior to the KPA is how much colouration a cab adds, and not necessarily in a good way. FRFR can show more of the difference in the amp whereas a cab adds a blanket layer making different amps sound similar.

For me the Kabinet does a bit of both. Gives you the variation but more of the amp in the room...in other words, has the FRFR agnostic cab feel but adding some amp in the room feel...

I agree. The right choice of CAB/IR or Real Cabinet is just as important as the AMP profile itself. I dont have the Kabinet but I do have the Celestion F12-x200 speaker and that too acts and sounds like a amp in the room when the right profile and cab are chosen.

3) Try a different cab, either a passive FRFR or guitar cab. Personally I do like FRFR but it does sound different and some people like real guitar cabs.

I recently purchased a Celestion F12-200X FRFR speaker and I'm using it with my powerhead with CAB on. It does sound different for sure. I cant figure out which one I like better, the FRFR or real guitar cabinet. Both have different characteristics.

I recently picked up a Celestion F12-X200 speaker and I am very impressed with it. Some profiles sound better then others but it's certainly a great match with the Kemper. I have the power head and I am able to keep the CAB on feature. The "Kemper Kone" with imprint Cabs also sounds very good.

1. Run the Powerhead through a real cabinet. I use both V30 and G12T75 speakers. Make sure you have Monitor Cab Off. Pure Cabinet doesn't make much of a difference in the setup so forget about that.
    2 . Tweak the AMP EQ first, then if you feel you need more, add an EQ after the AMP. I also play moderate to high gain stuff and the first thing I do is lower the Mids and up the Presents and Treble a bit for more bite. Adding an EQ or Boost before the AMP and upping the Volume control only will add even more bite and saturation. I am usually able to get what I want from the AMP EQ and add the Metal EQ in front for that Volume raise.
    3. Nothing against Britt and ToneJunkie profiles, but they wouldn't be my first choice for higher gain stuff. There are plenty of great free ones in the rig exchange. Orange, Deizel, Pitbull, Ubershall, Engl are the ones to look for. Although there are also some great Marshall profiles out there too.

4. Have you tried DI Profiles into a real cabinet? You really should. They produce the most realistic amp to cabinet tones in my opinion. No cabinet involved in the making of the profile so your tone offers the true characteristic of the speakers being used. I have made my own DI Profiles but there are also some very good free ones in the exchange.

5. I have tried the FRFR solution, it will vary by speaker and make. I recently tried a Line6 powercab which sounded awful to me. Its not the best choice if you have a powerhead.

Today at rehearsal I used a CryBaby right after the guitar and it sounds great. I didnt want to spend the money on an expression pedal that I will only use for wah if I didnt have to...and I dont. :)

I had the same scenario a month ago. I purchased a used mint condition head with other 500 profiles. Just because some are paid for doesn't make them better, there a MANY great free ones. I created a local library and moved all 500 to that folder and then did a Global reset and a Factory reset. I then started to pick and choose what I wanted back in the profiler from the 500, Kemper Rigs and from the Rig Exchange were I found many great ones. I am at about 80 Rigs loaded.

BTW...here are the instructions I received from Kemper email support on how to Factory Reset:

It depends what version of the operating system is installed. The current 7.5.4 version will automatically restore the factory settings if you apply a init&factory content reset.

In order to reset the PROFILER to the factory default state please perform the following steps:
    1. First, consider creating a backup as this process will delete all user data and reset all global settings.

2. Upgrade to the current PROFILER operating system release software. If your Profiler is currently running a version older than 7.3.2 you need to update to that version first. You can find it here

https://www.kemper-amps.com/do…8/Older-Software-Versions

3. Switch the PROFILER Head or Rack model off and press and hold soft button 1 (left above the display) while powering it on into tuner mode. If you are a STAGE user press the soft button 1 and the SYSTEM button and power the unit on.

4. Keep holding the soft button until "System Maintenance " appears on the display.

5. In maintenance mode press "Recovery", "Init&Factory Content", "Yes", "Ok".

6. Then press the Reboot soft button and reboot or simply restart the PROFILER with the chicken-head knob.

Do any of you guy use a real wah pedal with your Kemper? If so I would assume you place it first out of your guitar then into the Kemper? Or...is there a way to send it through the Kemper Remote?

Hard to say, but it does sound like that.

Where it get's me is that I'll create a Performance then tweak the rigs so they match up better. Then I'll want to save the changes back to the Browser pool with whatever I changed. In that case there is no overwrite (and I'm pretty sure you don't get prompted for a new name), so I end up with a new copy. But I rarely delete or rename the old one. I can still tell which is which by the date, but it just makes it that much harder to keep track.

That is exactly the issue he is having too, duplicate Rig names with different settings. I dont own the remote yet, I ordered one today and was just curious about what to expect.

The rigs in Performances are separate. But they would only be available in Browser mode if you saved them back to the Browser pool (or Local Library in Rig Manager). Oddly, it allows you to have the same name on multiple rigs so you might keep that in mind if saving several modified versions back as individual rigs.

Noted on that and yes I have seen that "same name" scenario happen on my friend's Kemper. So what is he doing...saving the Rig back into Rigs when he should just be saving the Performance?

Hi dacop1313,

Performances start as clones of your Rigs, but they live separate and apart from the Rigs after that. So no, you won't end up with two new Rigs.

That's good news because the last thing I wanted was to have the Kemper create 3 new different rig profiles in Rigs just because I made some changes in Performance Mode.

If I have a Marshall 800 Rig in performance mode lets say in slot 1 with low gain, then I add that same Marshall 800 Rig into slot 2 and raise the gain a bit, then in slot 3 even more gain. When I save this Performance does the Kemper create new Rigs because I changed the gain or are these settings just saved in the Performance Mode section?

Not to speak for dacop1313 but I will anyway :).....the point here is you can get a great sound at low volume. No one is saying you won't. Think of like a great rock album on your stereo. Sounds great at low volume but fantastic as you turn it up.

You can get closer to that "fantastic" sound through headphones and save yourself some money, but its all subjective.

I don't think you can make a wrong decision here, its going to totally be a preference thing.

I agree, you can indeed get great sound at low volume with a Kemper. IMO...headphones are not needed. I rather hear the open sound from a real cab even at a low volume. I prefer that over the closed sound of headphones with a Kemper modeled cab.

Hi dacop1313, thanks for sharing your opinion. So far you're the first who is in favour of the real cab for bedroom playing. Could you give an idea of the volume you're playing - again, let's consider TV level as 100, what would be yours? And how far do you push the volume of the Kemper to reach your level in the apartment?

TV level is fair, but sometimes its even lower then that when I am watching something while messing around on the Kemper. I keep the real cabinet close to me for easy access to the Kemper head. And...obviously sometimes I am higher then TV level depending on the time of day. I personally do not like headphones, I have a decent pair and still prefer the sound from the real cabinet, not a Kemper model cabinet. The Kemper main volume control is very manageable, unlike some tube amps that will jump hard in volume with a simple touch. So I am suggesting the power head through a real cabinet even at low volume, no headphones needed.

I have a Kemper Powerhead and live in an apartment. I play through a real 2x12 cabinet. I have no issues playing at low volumes and getting great tone. No need for headphones. I also use the head at rehearsals where volume is obviously increased. I tend to take down the highs a bit at rehearsal and will save that setting as a new Rig. That way I have an Apt setting and Rehearsal setting of the same profile.

Hi, I want to create a DI profile with an OCD overdrive pedal added to the profile. I see some DI profiles that are for sale doing this. Where is the engaged overdrive pedal placed in the chain when creating the DI profile?

Guitar ---> Overdrive ---> Kemper input

(or)

Kemper Direct Out/Send 1 ---> Overdrive ---> Amp input

Thanks!

No doubt about it, if you are using a Powerhead or a poweramp with a real cabinet, DI profiles are the way to go.

Well...I just recently purchased the ENGL Metal Master DI profile pack from Choptone and they sound great. So I will only purchase DI profiles.

Simple question, why are there 3 "Monitor Cab Off" options in Output? Page 1/9, 3/9 and 8/9. The reason I ask is because when one of them is checked (enabled), ALL of them get checked (enabled), so why are there 3?

Also...I run the PowerHead into a real 2x12 cabinet and I have Monitor Cab Off enabled (checked). I would assume this is all I need to do to properly disable the profile's cabinet section?