Posts by dacop1313

Connections for PROFILING Guitar Amp Simulation

• Connect your guitar to the Input of the PROFILER.

• Connect the DIRECT OUTPUT or SEND 1 from the PROFILER to the input on your GX100

• Route the output of your GX100 to the RETURN or RETURN 1 of the PROFILER.

I would assume this will also work with a Helix?

But to be clear - the Seymour will be relatively transparent as with any other ss amp. A tube amp adds colour.

Some people prefer tube amp because of that colour, others don't ( like me) who rely on the tube emulation from the profile. Its also true that interchanging these would produce very different results. I use virtually no eq amendments using my power rack :)

There is no right or wrong, just preferences ;)

Yup...big differences for sure. What power source are you using in your power rack?

I also thought about using a power amp (something like seymour duncan power stage) with passive cabinet. I wonder if it would sound like kemper through powered kabinet?

I have the Seymour Duncan 170 power stage and tried it with my Kemper and Helix with a real 2x12 cabinet. I didn't like it much, I found that I had to EQ the hell out of the unit to sound the way I wanted it or similar to the tone I was getting with a tube power amp. I mean its not terrible, but certainly not tube like.

I like your idea of unplugging the mic, but would rather not piss off the sound guy lol, some of these guys get angry if you move a mic stand.

Its great we have the choice. I understand your preference but for me its only valid for your backline. My focus always remains on FOH sound and therefore any "benefit" you get is immediately lost through the PA.

All noted, but most of the venues I gig at have there own backline, its fast paced and when its time to set up there is just one 4x12 or 2x12 cab and that's it. And most sound guys do not want to bother with FOH, they just throw a mic on the cab speaker and wait for me to give him an A cord. That is why I stick to the conventional way of head and cab with the Kemper. I also tried the option you mentioned above, an FRFR speaker with a tube powered amp, using the Celestion fx12-200 speaker, wasn't for me either, I went back to the real cab setup the next gig. But it is good to have many options.

Welcome Sir8)

Powered monitors lets you get the true essence of the profile and nothing sounds similar.

That is very true, especially for studio work. But when playing live I prefer the tube power with a real cab. And one should play with the FRFR format when they own a Kemper/Helix/Fractal. Having options is great.

I too run the Kemper with a tube power section (Mooer 20w Tube Engine or a Marshall 50w DSL), keep in mind as mentioned above you need to turn off the CABs on the Kemper, you will know if they are on because it sounds horrible lol.

When running the Kemper this way, many amp will indeed sound very similar, especially if they are in the same genre, but there are some differences here and there. I can take a SLO profile and make it sound very similar to an ENGL or even a Marshall. If you change the physical speaker cab lets say from V30s to Greenbacks, the tone will surely change, just like a real amp would. I too do not like the powered speaker option as I think it sounds best with a real cabinet. When I do play around with FRFR, there is a huge difference in tone because of the Cab or IR being used, but its just not for me.

I went down to about 60 now that I realize I could probably get by with 6! With 6 profiles I could do what I could not with my multi channel, multi master ENGL and a MultiFX.

I agree, less is better. I have over 300 profiles at this point, its not necessary.

I can totally confirm this as I deleted nearly all of my Rigs on my profiler ( circa 300) but all performances stayed in tact.

Suffice to say I took a backup prior to this just in case :)

That's a bold move...and exactly what I am planning to do. I want to start all over again.

Simple question, if I import a Rig into any one of the five slots in Performance mode, and then delete that same Rig in the Browse mode, does the Rig still remain in the Performance mode? I could test this myself but I figured I would ask first. Thanks

I agree with you on solid state power, the Helix does sound very good with the Seymour Duncan 170 solid state power amp, it takes just a bit of tweaking (not much) but overall its a great matchup, same with a non powered Kemper. I have the Kemper power head and the built in power amp is very good too. But as I mentioned before I am not a fan of CABs/IRs so I always use a real cabinet. I just find the best tone for me is when I use tube power. Now...do I want to lug around a Marshall 50w head along with the Kemper head or Helix, ummm no lol. As I mentioned above, I now use the 20w Moorer Tube Station which sounds really great to my ears on both Helix and Kemper.

"The great thing is, we have the choice!!!"....indeed we do!

I have the 50w DSL 2000 head and use its power for the Kemper into a real 2x12 with V30s and it sounds great. The Marshall power section works well with any modeler, I also run a Helix this way too. Recently I picked up a Moorer Tube Engine which is only 20w, but I had no volume issues when jamming with a full band, again a real 2x12 cabinet. I am not a fan of CABs or IRs. The Seymore Duncan 170 which is solid state power also sounds pretty good too, but my advice is to go tube power.

Yup, options are great. I never liked any FRFR tones, I have tried many times but was never satisficed, guess I'm not ready for that leap. The tube power amp I use is as big as a lunchbox amp and only weighs 12lbs, easy setup and that tube feel is there. I will agree with you that many profiles/amps start to sound the same though, but I am basically only looking for one tone anyway.