Posts by dacop1313

I do the same. I play live with a powerhead and use a real 2x12 cabinet with G12T-75 and one with V30s. I find that Merged and DI profiles sound best with real cabinets but do use some Studio ones also, Cab Off option enabled. I also have a 1x12 cab with a F12-X200 FRFR speaker, when I use that one I turn on the Cabs obviously. Its just VERY different, you certainly have more tonal options with the FRFR (in your case it would be the Kabinet) because you can literally change the characteristics of any profile being used by changing Cabs/IRs. I like both options honestly as its nice to have options. But I do prefer the real cabinet for rehearsal and live use.

BTW...If you do go with a Kabinet or any FRFR speaker, you will be shockingly surprised on how different the same profile you have been using with a real cabinet sound in an FRFR. I tend to create two profiles settings with the same profile, one for a real cabinet and one for an FRFR. I also have a Headrush powered FRFR, yet again...a totally different tone from the same exact profile.

Yes...exactly what V8 says.

I have the powered head. When the sound guy feels like sending me to FOH he does. The -12db setting and making sure you have a cab on that profile is very important. Do not use DI profiles for FOH. I use the house 4x12 cabinet for on stage monitoring. If the sound guy is lazy and doesn't want to go FOH, he will just throw the mic on the in house 4x12 cabinet. I dial in my profiles using a real cabinet, so it sounds great on stage for me.

Where is the setting that shows you what mode the Kemper is in as far as Default/Studio/Live...I seem to have forgotten where the hell it is. Thanks

Yep. 1st world problems indeed. And those are easy to stand, right? 8o

Well, nobody is holding us back. Actually I did (and still do) this from time to time in jams or rehearsals with the band. Using one profile only, treating the Kemper as a one channel amp with some effects (4-5 buttons, a pedal, pretending to have a little pedal board in front of me). Yes, it means limiting myself way below the options of the incredible Kemper sound universe. But it also means clear focus on work with guitar, volume knob etc. - and it feels good. The guys around me liked the sound a lot and it was still super inspiring :)

I have also thought about that same idea. I actually did it this weekend at reversal. I used one Marshall Silver Jubilee profile that I liked and used the footswitch as an effects pedal board. It was like a real amp feel again and less fiddling around. Used the guitar volume control for a cleaner tone.

The biggest problem I think you've summerised here....I've forgotten what sounds are actually me! I love most of these sounds but they have their place. Most of the EVH profiles are great for EVH stuff but I feel like a cheat if I use it for other things :)..

The problems we face as a modern guitarist :)

LOL...that is so true! Back in the days, we dialed up our tone on the amp, good for all situations.

For the price I paid for the ones I have, I don't mind. For all the effort they did, It was worth it. Plus I don't have a Plexi, BE100, Matchless, two TG-2s a ribbon mic and a U87 so getting all that for the price of a lunch is ok. I look at it as more of a thank you to them for their work rather than they are making all of this money from me.

The main issue I always had with commercial profiles is that they are taken from settings preferred by that person. Yes adjustments can certainly be made but its not the same as the real amp. I once played a real ENGL Metal Matser head and loved it. I saw that ChopTones had available profiles for that amp so I purchased them. Unfortunately it sounded noting like the head I was playing out of that day and I was very disappointed. Hit or miss I guess. I have found better profiles of that amp in the free Exchange.

In my opinion, and many will disagree I am sure...these "top sellers" took advantage of an opportunity to make some money. Basically selling profiles that in most cases are no better then ones found in the Exchange, or created by yourself.

I too like a bit of touch wah in some profiles. I have managed to get some good results by limiting the mix amount, turning it up slowly until I have reached what I am looking for.

IMO...the Kemper effects are as good as any other SS "modeler", I also own a Helix. But they are defiantly not up to par with the real thing. I find this especially true with OD effects.

I've paid for a few profiles, but thus far have found several free on Rig Exchange that I really like. Especially when you start mixing and matching amp/cab combos. Some really good stuff (as well as some seriously crappy ones).

Paying for a profile doesn't guarantee it's 'better' than anything else for you. Even the 'major' people. For example - I can't find a Tone Junkie profile I really care for. Same for (gasp) Michael Britt.

Its probably me....but I just don't dig 'em.

Absolutely agree. I stopped buying profiles a long time ago because most of them were no better or even worse then allot on the exchange.

There are so many great FREE profiles in the Exchange, I suggest going there first before you start buying anything. Also, many of the profiles that come preloaded are great too. And as mentioned above many are from profilers that sell.

If you tried Kemper in the FX Loop of my Peavey 6505 and then you buy studio monitors, you will be dissapointed.

I agree with you, there is nothing better then using a tube amp's power section through the return loop into a real cabinet, it sounds the best that way imo. Its just not very practical for gigs though. I have the power head and use it with a real cabinet which I found very pleasing, but when I want to use the CAB options in the Kemper I shut down the Kemper power amp and use a pair of powered Headrush 108s.

At the time I was using a ENGL Powerball II and was spoiled with lots of versatility from 4+ channels but after playing it one afternoon and getting some good sounds from it I decided to do a gig that night with my Orange Micro terror just for the fun of it. It sounded great and although I had to fiddle with it for clean/dirty songs. Those things are pretty loud through a 4x12, more volume than I needed.

Yup...the "shape" control takes some time getting used to, but they are certainly loud enough.