Posts by Kenny Hohman

Are you sure you’re using the right profile? When you talk about controlling a breakup guitar tone with the vol control that’s exactly what I do all the time.

BTW: That’s why I love the rmpacheco AC20 because it excels at this.

The AC20 is the best profile I have tried through the Kab so far. With my single coil guitars the AC20 as-profiled is still on the cleaner side, where the Kemper Kab is sounding/feeling good to me at stage volume. The profiles clean up with the gtr. volume . It's just that when I try a profile that has enough gain for my max gtr. volume sound it doesn't sound nearly as good to me through the Kab at stage volume as it does compared to the headphone or recording tones I have been getting. Turning up the gain on the AC-20 was a better but similar result. I haven't had much luck with the drive pedals yet but maybe a drive in front of the AC would work better than gaining up the profile?

Being a volume rider, have you experienced the sound getting strange as you get farther down the pot? Like 1- 3? I am wondering if I am having an input setting issue.

Howard,

Thank you for the detailed settings specs. I am in the middle of a bunch of gigs but I will be trying this on Tuesday and I will lyk how it goes.

I left my usual profiles and listened to various random low/med -gain rigs stored on my Stage today at loud volumes. There is a Hendrix preset from the legends pack that has an eq preset n the x slot as BT described. That sounded a lot more natural to me cranked through the Kab whether I used the ir speakers or frfr. The mpacheco AC20 had me thinking things might just work out. There is no question about volume. The cab cranks.

The way I'm used to working live with my DR is that the amp is set to break up and everything is controlled by the gtr vol. The higher the gtr volume goes the more the amp gives in to a soft break up. So far in Kemperkab week 1 , my gainy sounds on the kemper through the Kab are basically more harsh the louder you go. I still have to try individually tweaking the eq's for each rig.

I got up and running for acoustic shows last year in about an hour. Been happy with those settings over many gigs and haven't changed a thing. This is much more involved.

Thank you for the tip! I'm going to try that eq block. Do you lock that across all your rigs? I usually like the sound I'm hearing in the phones and on recordings so I was reluctant to change the amp settings too drastically but live is a different thing.

I have been loving my Kemper Stage for teaching remote guitar lessons, running straight to a p.a. for acoustic shows and recording direct to a Tascam Model 24.

I'm using some top jimi zeppelin profiles along with blackface fender rigs from the exchange at home. I sometimes find these profiles to be slightly harsh when recording but I just cut some treble at the mixer.

I am now trying to get the powerkab going for live electric gigs. I play in a band with 2 drummers that is loud on stage (by todays standards anyway). I usually run a deluxe reverb on vol. 4-6 with pedals in front. I put the amp up on a chair or road case angled off-stage a bit. The p.a. is typically pushing kick drums, keys and vox only.

I just got the powerkab this week and so far I just can't get comfortable with it. These same profiles I have been using are going over the line to an ear fatiguing shrill hi-fi sound when cranked up through the kab regardless of setting frfr/imprint mode/speaker choice. I am just not getting the soft squishy musicality of a pedal pushed tube amp that I am used to. I have tried using the monitor eq, definition, pure cab, high cut, sweetening etc. I'm not sure if maybe I should just re-eq the rigs at the amplifier stage specifically for live use while listening cranked through frfr mode or what.

Any tips on how an old school/too loud rock and roller can best dial in a couple of natural feeling rigs for live usage through this kab would be most appreciated.

I am also using a mac to try and edit a performance together in rig manager. I have the performance named and all the slots filled but I can't figure out how to get it into my kemper stage. Seems like I should just be able to drag and drop it into the profiler which is connected via usb.

"To resolve this issue, turn PROFILER off. Wait for 10 seconds and choose Browse mode while holding the RIG button for at least 30 seconds. PROFILER will boot and attempt to repair the items in question."

I am also getting the message posted above with my stage unit. 7.5.4 rig manager 3.0.136

1. I set up a rig in performance mode that has multiple effects set to turn on with one control switch. I want to undo that now and can't figure it out.

2. If I dial in a new "ultimate" effects bank can I save the whole thing (including pedal switch assignments) and lock/save them across all the amps in that performance?

I hope it works for you. Please update your progress. If you can get it going I will follow in your footsteps.

I had sent a request to tech support via email on this weeks ago and was told that there was no outboard unit that Kemper can verify for this usage. Best they could recommend right now was to get an external mic pre with an optical out. Indecision put it on hold for me.

Good luck! Watching to see how you make out. I am wanting to go this route as well to gain an extra input on my twin x. I am using the kemper in my teaching rig for Zoom lessons with a master mono setting coming out of the Kemper with a trs cable in to the guitar input on the front of the apollo. I have a mic set up for my voice/ac guitar on channel 2. I want the extra channel to use my iPhone running an app called the amazing slow downer. Not sure what cable to use for that job either.

Deadman,

lol. I realize the mistake now that I loaded the Downfall LA 610 profile and found the pre amp loaded as the "amp". Excuse a noob. Makes total sense now. I guess I was thinking it would load as an effect instead of an amp.

I loaded the 610 and messed with the settings, added stomps and fx and was really loving the sound when I accidentally hit the "5" rig button next to the tap tempo and lost it all. 8| Learning the hard way.

Perfect. Thank you for the suggestions! I looked up Downfall Studio on the exchange and grabbed a few mic pres to try. Is Bert's stuff on the exchange or somewhere else?

What do you recommend as far as routing? Disable amp and cab and put light comp and eq first followed by fx and then pre amp at the end? I know the correct answer is to try it all and see but if you have any more tips I'll gladly take em.

I'm used to running a only touch of reverb from the Mackie and occasional boost and tune from the platinum pre. If I can beat that base sound and add a few fx, looping and volume control it would be well worth the extra lug.

I will still need the mixer for 2 mics plus bass.

Thank you for the replies.

For my usage as a quarantined guitar teacher working via ZOOM I am just trying to preserve the stereo Kemper sounds in while leaving the Apollo mic pre's open.

I was originally using a cheap behringer mixer in between the Kemper and Apollo to get Kemper stereo out, a vocal mic (also picking up acoustic guitar) and my iPad running spotify and the Amazing Slow Downer app for transcribing/ content video production. The extra gain stage was making things a little complicated and changing the Kemper sound a bit for the worse.

Edward, There are lots of spdif to optical converters out there but I was looking for one that has been found to function optimally in this situation to save time. I had a Kemper support answer recommending that this may be a frustrating journey as no add on unit can be verified by them so I gave up on it for now. I took the suggestion to go mono master out to Apollo for now. This leaves the second pre open for my vocal mic and now I just have to free up a usb port in my iMac for my iPad to get the Slow Downer audio in.

I would like to solve it another way by adding channels to the Apollo or getting the Optical in working eventually so that I can go between teaching and recording with stereo sound without changing my routing.

Scratch, that is some next level usage! I will file that away in case I feel that something in the Kemper fx chain may beat something in the logic plug in realm. I'm still on the surface level usage with this thing but happy to learn.

Kenny

Hey there,

New Kemper Stage owner here. I have been really digging this incredibly deep tool for at home practice and teaching guitar lessons via ZOOM through a UA Apollo Twin iMac with various electric guitars. I have been really enjoying some profiles from Top Jimi, Tone Junkies, Micheal Britt and Kemper. It's been 2 weeks now and I have a grasp of the basic functions.

Here In NY some summer outdoor acoustic shows are becoming un-cancelled. I would like to try to upgrade my situation by employing the Kemper Stage in place of the Platinum pre in my spartan rig:

AC guitar with an LR Baggs M80> (Fishman Platinum pre)> mackie mixer> qsc powered speaker.

Thinking it would be cool to take advantage of the looper and fx and have some different tones to layer with. I have a mission pedal also.

Any suggestions on acoustic guitar specific profiles, settings, routing, or how to get the most out of the Kemper in a live acoustic format in general much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kenny