Posts by joshriggs

Silly question. For all the people who are so against any modern improvements and think the current hardware is fine, why be so against an update for the rest of us? Keep what you have. A KPA MK2 doesn't mean you have to buy it. Tons of gear makers support the legacy products while creating new ones.

But you're kidding yourself if you think that KPA doesn't need hardware and UI updates to stay competitive in the market and get new customers.

Personally, unless you're a touring musician, I don't see the need for a rack and remote if the Stage is both together in one small, lightweight unit. Sell the rack and remote and switch to just using the Stage. The chances something will happen to your Stage at a gig are very slim, so a simple HX stomp as a backup sounds fine.

I don't know about Fractal user experience and ease of editing. But the Kemper UI (Stage, iPad app and MacOS RigManager) leaves much to be desired. The user experience - at least to me - is outdated and incomplete. Just my two cents.

Yeah, there are things to be improved for sure, but it's still light years ahead of Fractal.

It's a whole different piece of gear with different strengths and weaknesses. And of course it's a modeler and not a profiler. I understand if it's not something you're interested in, but I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison to a Kemper Stage.

One of my guitarist friends just told me that he blew capacitors on both of his high end high gain tube amps because he was running them too hot with his power attenuator. And he also needs all new tubes. So maybe for the most accuracy, an updated algorithm will have a tube life indicator, and make your KPA completely stop working unless you Venmo $300 to Kemper for a simulated retube and bias job. But they could easily come back and ask for $400 more to virtually replace the circuit board with the blown caps. And it could also be completely random. Like maybe the tube life indicator says 87%, but then one of your tubes goes microphonic randomly. Venmo Kemper another $80 for a new tube. ?

I would like to have this functionality too.
    I assume that Kemper Team is hesitant cause there's only ONE lock button and it would mean another parameter to tick somewhere.....

It would led to some mistakes/misunderstood from owners

If they can figure out how to accurately model any amp and cabinet signal chain with just a mic and a few white noise tones, surely this would be an easy problem for them to solve. ?

actually, I think you just hit on a brilliant ideal. We currently have a Rig Menu. All we need is a Performance Menu which is only active in Performance mode. Stuff like this or pedal assignment etc could all be set there.

There is a performance menu. While in performance mode, there is an "edit" soft button on the top left of the LCD screen.

I'd love more options for footswitch programming for the Stage / Remote. Or imagine if there were Snapshots like Helix for an entire performance.

I also think Kemper could make the new user experience better by creating a whole new collection of Kemper-captured, well organized default rigs so users don't immediately have to the exchange or go buy 3rd party rigs. I know that there are several collections of rigs that come with the Kemper, but they're terribly organized (by author, who are unknown to most new users) and many are quite old.

I would also love an updated Stage hardware design with a bigger color display and more complex signal chain options. But that of course would require an all new OS and platform.

As ST said, in most cases I would find this annoying and confusing but I have had some instances where it would definitely have been useful. A global setting with Rig Override would be a good solution but would also add significant complexity.

I don’t have a personal desire for this feature but can also see how others might find it life changing. Any solution that doesn’t remove the current workflow while still helping those that need the proposed features would seem a win/win.

That's the beauty of product design - some features are useful to some and not to others. And I don't see how it would add significant complexity. We have both performance and slot settings menus. Each one could have a toggle button with slot overriding performance. Or there could be another solution, but having it off by default would ensure that no current workflows are broken. I think it's completely doablea and would be welcomed by many.

Example: I have a clean amp rig in slot 1 with overdrive, gritty delay, and modulated reverb for effect pedals I-III respectively. Slot 2 is my heavy riff rig. The song starts with Slot 1 (clean) with just modulated reverb. As the intro progresses, I step on pedals I and II to add drive and delay . Then switches to slot 2 for the chorus. For the 2nd verse, I need to go back to the same sound I had before the chorus - clean with drive, gritty delay, and reverb. This means I now have to step on Slot 1, Pedal I, and Pedal II as fast as I can since the change in the song is instant. If the state of the pedals would be stored when I switch slots, this wouldn't be a problem.

Adding this feature would also mean I wouldn't have to save separate performances per song, as I do now. I could have a more formulaic approach to my live performance, and probably be able to just use one performance in total.

This one feature would be the difference between me having to program different rigs, which frankly, has me considering other modeler options.

As for a UI solution, you could simply add a toggle to the system settings, something to the effect of "save effect I-IV states" in performance settings. Or it could be slot specific under "slot settings" tab. And even better if we could also save Morph states when switching between slots.

I had the Laney for a bit and really liked it. It sounds very amp-like especially if you turn up the Pure Cab setting. I ended up trading it for some other gear because the pandemic had me not playing live with a band anymore. I would personally recommend that over the Kabinet because you can also use it for other modelers should you decide to try something else out.

I personally don't see the value in the Kabinet. If you want to have a cab-in-the-room sound just for your own personal monitoring, then use a real guitar cab. If you want to monitor yourself with your profile's cab, then use an FRFR.

It probably has more to do with the other instruments in your mix than the profiles themselves. Check and make sure your guitars aren't fighting with bass and cymbals in the spectrum. Ear fatigue is also a very real thing, and it will always feel like you could just tweak one more thing and it would sound better.

I have been able to get good tones that I can make do what ever I want it to do. I tend to avoid turning the bass, mid and treble knobs since they wont react exactly like the amp would have. If I dont like the tone when I first listen to the profile I move on to a different one. No point in tweaking a profile that you dont like from the start.

Yeah, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Yeah, if the rig immediately sounds bad, then it's probably not a good rig, or not a speaker or mic combo that I like. But what does it matter if the EQ doesn't respond exactly like the amp would? If I just need a little less mids and a little more high end, why wouldn't I adjust the EQ accordingly, instead of looking for the perfect rig (doesn't exist) or adding an additional EQ block. The settings on the reverb block that imitates a Strymon Big Sky don't react like a real Big Sky. The drive knob on the Green Scream doesn't react just like the drive knob on one of the 8000 Tube Screamers out there. But they generally do their job and sound good if you tweak them to your liking.

Again, this isn't a personal attack against you, so sorry if it comes off this way. I just think this is weirdly bad advice.