Posts by joshriggs

I'll believe the hype when it's actually available to buy. I'm pretty sure it was already supposed to be shipped to preorders by this point.

But I paid $4000 for my Klon so there's no way digital can sound as good because mojo or something. ?

I'm really happy with these updates. The OCD into a slightly dirty JCM800 sounds super thicc. And I'm really liking more boost options for heavier tones.

just bought this yesterday and am kinda disapointed, to my ears they don't sound so good. Super harsh and thin and hot. I've been watching their channel on and off and always thought they had pretty sweet tones so i wasn't expecting these profiles to sound so poor. Tried with p90's and buckers and none works for me. The profiles also sound very similar to each other and all are overdriven and it would be nice to have had a wider range of grit but maybe this amp doesn't do cleans?

What were you playing through and at what volume? Some profiles sound great some situations, and not good in others. Like for me, M. Britt high gain profiles only sound good for live and loud use, but just kinda meh in a studio setting.

Not trying to be pedantic, but have you read the user manual, especially the section about output? The KPA definitely does not sound like shit for recording. It's used on countless professional recordings. So if there is an issue, it's most likely an incorrect setting on the KPA or your interface.

Right, it might be brand new out of the box, but that doesn't mean it's set up for recording. My guess is that your master volume outout levels are too low, and that you have Space turned on in your headphones but not in the master output.

I use a focusrite solo interface and have not used my monitors yet,they are maudio bx8 d3s.

guitarguitar shop told me to use the monitoring output but it really down grades the sound.

on my focusrite solo i have one guitar input and two line outputs.

That's not true about the monitor outputs downgrading the sound. They're the exact same quality as the other outputs, they're just XLR instead of 1/4 inch. FYI, this whole song was recorded via the monitor outputs into a Focusrite Scarlett (8i6 in my case, but should sound identical to a Solo). https://empiresoflight.bandcamp.com/track/malariff

Hey Everyone. How does the Helix's overdrive/distortion stomps compare to the Kemper? I'm happy with the amp/cab tones that I get from my Kemper, but I'm considering to pair it with a Helix Stomp or Helix Effects. Are the overdrive and distortion tones and options any better on the Helix?

If you're happy with the amp tones from the Kemper, then have you considered the HX Effects instead of the HX Stomp. Besides having all the same effects from the Helix platform, including drives, it is also a really great and easy-to-use MIDI controller. You could use it as you're primary controller for your Kemper and pedalboard, if you want to. Just a thought.

Just another point - if you took any tube amp and EQ'd it to your liking at home, it would sound pretty awful when cranked up at live volume. Kemper is no different in that regard (although the reasons why are probably different).

Sounds like you're comparing live playing to home / studio playing. Typically, you'll have more success with separate profiles for live and home / studio. When you play on the KRKs, is that just practicing by yourself, or within a the context of a full band mix (i.e., recording and mixing, or practicing to a full song)?

actually I was quite surprised by the quality from some neural rigs in the exchange..there is a 800 I use quite often..one of the best 800 rigs in the rig exchange actually..

There aren't any JCM800 models in any of the plugins, unless maybe it's the unnamed "crunch" amp in Archetype Nolly.

It sure is pretty. My guess is that anything this glitzy is going to miss the mark with tone. It sure is pretty though ;). I could be wrong, but this is my current guess.

Why does well designed = bad tone? The plugins they've released so far sound amazing.

Yeah, next update is called 'Quad Cortex', released in November... ;)

(I jest!)

I think that's more of a threat to Fractal. The Fractal FM3 is hot garbage, and Kemper seems to have a different user base. I have several Neural DSP plugins, and I think my Kemper Stage sounds better than all of them. That being said, I did spend several minutes with my cursor hovering the "Preorder Now" button at Sweetwater. :D

Disclaimer: I mostly play heavier music, but love a good clean british style amp too.

For recording, I have done a ton of experimentation with IRs vs Kemper cabs. Back when I had a Helix, I bought a bunch of pro IRs because helix built in cabs are kind of terrible. After trying out several brands - Ownhammer, 3sigma, Celestion, etc., I became an Ownhammer Fanboi. They all sounded amazing, not only on my Helix, but also in the Neural DSP plugins I was using for recording. For the month or so I owned a Fractal FM3 (good riddance), they were also the best sounding IRs to my ears.

With Kemper, it's a whole different story for me. Loading up Ownhammer IRs on my favorite Kemper merged profiles made them sound dark and muddled. I could dial the high end back end, but they just didn't sound as lifelike as cabs from Kemper profiles. I also found that the same 3Sigma cabs that sounded weak on my Helix sounded pretty good on the Kemper. So now I have a preset folder with my favorite Kemper cabs from various different profiles, and I just drag and drop those.

Also of note, make sure to mess with True Cab and Character settings. Those can really make IRs sound better.