Posts by halipino

I did get a focusrite but I wasn't too happy with the drivers but I did like firewire. That old pc more or less died and I sold that interface and bought a used spl crimson and a new pc. That was 4 1/2 years ago and still use it. But it all depends on your needs. Do you record more than yourself?

No just me at home, I'd feel half the man without the automated faders I get from my 002 console. Hate using just the mouse for mixing.

I had a tc electronics konnekt 6 interface when I bought my kemper. No matter what, all profiles sounded too bright and fizzy. I wanted to use spdif for reamping so I sold that interface and bought another interface and no more too bright and fizzy sound. Well some fizz with some profiles. But hey, listen to raw guitar tracks made by well known producers/engineers. It's not uncommon with fizz or some whistling sounds that needs to be carved out. And some of them can sound less good on it own . And still, when all instruments in the mix is finished , the guitars sounds great. You can hear ppl sometimes complain that their vst drum plugin doesn't sound good enough. They don't know what they are talking about. The problem with drum plugins is not that they sound bad. On the contrary, they sound too good compared to how most real raw drums sounds like. But great mixed, and mostly today, at least in the metal genre, together with drum samples, the drums sounds amazing.

Hi GearJocke. what IO did you invest in? I'm still using an old DIGI 002 (with what many say not so good Focus rite convertors ?) I'd hate to give up the flying faders when mixing but not sure what direction to go in regarding interfaces these days, haven't look at them in 12 years or so.

right on deadman42...
    Aww no red lining - just first initial reaction was some profiles sounded like metal grinding, not a nice smooth saturated type of overdrive that I'm after.

It's always a bit overwhelming at first learning new gear but with you and all the other guys helping out this kid is slowly understanding lol
    I will get there someday and maybe even be ale to help others :)

Thank you brother! I started poking around the forum and notice a bunch of other guys talking about a digital clipping that they can not tame. Not sure if it was you (?) someone was talking about an eq on the X channel at all times cutting some highs and lows... A few guys in this thread mentioned the eq as well, tricky situation I guess?

i use an RA-100 to power my cab with F12X200, it's a robust poweramp, zero noise level.. it worked flawlessly, but they are heavy to transport ..

i think for home use or rehearsals.. is powerful enough..

Hi leandroneves, wowo cool so you have been using the RA amp! That is good news and yes it weighs a ton of solid lead, like a good ol 70's muscle car. With the F12X200 are you running 1, 2 or 4 speaker cab? Kinda curious since I'm so new to the Kemper world would the Celestion F12-X200 be a wise a choice as say the Kemper Kone? I heard the Kone is a different animal than a regular speaker...?

^^^I'm incapable of arguing this^^^

Not sure what your power needs are, but for a rack unit I'd look at the Seymour Duncan Powerstage SD700. All the power you'd ever need, but...

It's not a 1u, and the inputs are on the front. Those are the only knocks IMHO.

Mono or stereo it totally covers the bases.

I also have an ISP Stealth Pro. That can fit 1u I believe but has less headroom.

I hear a lot of you cats talking about the Seymour Duncan Powerstage SD700, technically I'm one of SD's artists so I can get a good break on one when the time comes. Who knows maybe they will refine the housing to what you were saying about it not being a 1u?

I think I had an "AHA" - MOMENT (AND NO, NOT THAT BAND from MTV era hahahha)

My Master Control has been set to almost full stop where it max's out around -0.2dB on the Main Vol. and the SPDF / Headphone Out reads at 0.00dB....

*Could this be my mistake? Should the Master be way down around noon like -12dB

I don't know if this has already been mentioned - what do your rigs sound like directly in the Kemper, like through headphones? If it's wrong there, then Kemper settings in the rig are probably the issue. If OK through headphones then it must be something about your connection to the interface. Since you said even kind of clean rigs seem too gainy, maybe your output from the Kemper is just to high. Or doubling up somewhere so you're hearing more than one signal mixed.

At least this might help you isolate where the problem is.

hi cmbrowns, yes it is through the headphones and/or monitors as I audition the profiles and this is through the DIGI 002. Are you suggesting I patch the headphones directly into the Kemper? That is one thing I have not tried yet, just been going into the recording rig. That is a good idea :) will try.

halipino different settings here. But again, there is no right and wrong. Just a fit for purpose :) ...in my standard settings I do not consider recording a stereo track including the Kemper's stereo effects. In the few cases where I want to do this I either capture the Main Outs or change the setting on the SPDIF (in that case no Dry track via SPDIF but then via another output)...

oh thanks, I will try your settings and see what happens.. cool. It's all one big trial and error and this point.

No, that's one thing, i.e. I play the guitar and fill two separate tracks with it. The Git Dry gives the opportunity to fully re-amp later on so it is the pure guitar signal from the Kemper input. The other one is with Stack - but without Effects which I usually add later on in my DAW (with few exceptions though).

The third one comes occasionally out of the Monitor Out which i have set to Stack and marked the checkbox Monitor Cab off.

But there are many ways for this. Never thought about using the send for this.

hmmm? interesting. This is my output right now

deadman42, lol what's that ol saying "If you know more than the next guy your a genius.." lol

When you say "I usually do at least 2 tracks via SPDIF: Git dry and Stack", are you implying 2 separate performances/overdubs?

I just looked, I have my SEND 1 OUTPUT set to: GIT ANALOG

In a recording you often need less gain than you think initially. And besides, It is true some profiles have a phasy zing or grit which may be annoying especially when playing on your own without any background music. Many profiles in rig exchange are like that, and some vendors think in terms of a mix and not the guitar on its own so they tend to make profiles that are a bit thin and trebly. Obviously some people like sounds that others hate, so perhaps some may not hear the annoying frequencies you do hear.

One more thing, layering various tracks is cool but it can also create phase issues like using various mikes. Do you hear the grain in all situations?

Hi CJGOMEZ, yeah as I am cycling through 100's of amp profiles they almost all have that fizz which is pretty unwelcoming especially when it is something like an AC30 or TWIN which aren't that high gain of amps in the first place. When I scroll through the Marshall or Recto types it is unbearable sometimes. Every now and then I find a profile that has a nice smooth balance but I can't help thinking "this shouldn't be like this?"