Posts by halipino

Hi joshriggs, I will try turning down the clarity as well. :)

Hi guys, I'm still less than 3 weeks old with my Kemper Stage and learning more and more everyday but one thing that I am sure is as simple as finding the right setting perhaps(?) is that when I'm recording into a Digi002 / PT10 setup a vast majority of profiles just sound really "grainy and fizzy", even some of the cleaner amp types have some grain to them and I find myself rolling the GAIN control down but then that kills the character of the profile which is what I was looking for in the first place.

Been running lots of experiments, right now I have coming out of the Kemper into the Digi002
    *Main/Monitor
    *SEND 1 (for direct signal to re-amp later if needed)
    *S/PDF

**So each time I record I have 3 tracks armed; is this overkill?

Bottom line is there a special trick or two to get the higher gain amps to sound nice and smooth?
    I poke around in the INPUT, OUPUT & AMP sections of the Kemper and sweep through every parameter like clean sense and direct out signal etc...
    I try and rationalize that maybe my DIGI 002 convertors are outdated and need a new I/O but then again IDK? LOL

BTW, I have tried both single coil and humbuckers and find the same result so I discarded the theory of it being the guitar?

Anyhow, would appreciate some insight from more experienced Kemper geniuses, I am certain this question is quite ambiguous as there could be many variables involved.
    Thank you

:)

Same here with ENGL and MESA. I still own the ENGL 4x12 PRO cab (you need very good friends to carry this around...) and two MESA Thiele 1x12s (with EV speakers) which I always loved for their fullness and flexibility especially in terms of the setup. Still they couldn't fully keep up with the 4x12 despite all the marketing and the Petrucci-vibe in it. Finally all the sound guys got a worried face in those small to medium venues which we usually play 8o

Meanwhile I am so happy with my Kemper over PA and FRFR wedge monitor for my personal pleasure. Having a great sound, significantly less gear and weight with me. Still the sound is absolutely fine (or mostly even better) for any live occasion.

I totally understand your doubts halipino regarding classical 1x12 cabs which do not cut through in a bigger band depending on the volume and style. Same experience here. As the guys say here with Kabinet / Kone or FRFR you should be in a way better position with the Kemper. Nevertheless there is no way of figuring out without trying. Some people here in the forum went back to classical cabs after long time with FRFR.... so there is always personal taste and feel-well involved...

Hi deadman42, lol yes I totally get it, without trying stuff out it's only theory but your and all the other guys stories are truly helping me acclimate to a new way of thinking about sound. And yes I was nowhere to be found without a Marshall Full Stack in tow. The good ol days.

Thank you

Just to add....

I've been running a 1x12 FRFR cab for about 2 years now and have no problem keeping up volume wise. Having said that, as mentioned, its less about volume but about "cut" in the mix. I found that FRFR type cabs ( I say type as the Kone is a bit more than that) have more versatility as they don;t "smooth" the sound out.

Hi V8guitar, which FRFR cab are you using if I may as so bold to ask? I'm still in Kemper Kindergarten basically lol and all of this discussion is pretty new to me, so the Kemper Kone is different than what companies load into an FRFR, gotta do my research but it seems like a regular Celelstion type of speaker would be put in an FRFR?

that amp should work fine. The main advantage of the newer class D amps is how small and light they are. The old Alesis is a beast to lug around but it should still get the job done.

Hi Alan, thank you for the wisdom. Yeah it's heavy but for now it is usable gear which is a good thing until I can upgrade into something current and more portable. Can't wait to experiment with amplifying the sounds, I'm less than 2 weeks old with my Stage and learning how to do reamping in PT 10, my Lord it even makes a DI from an acoustic gtr sound amazing through a Fender Bassman patch.

I have not yet tried hooking this ol badboy up but in this era of really high powered amps like the ICE or Seymour Duncan's like you guys were discussing in this thread etc.. would and old school Alesis-RA100 rack amp work out fairly well? I actually have 2 of these things in storage, can they be wired together for 200 watts mono (plz don't laugh hahahha probably a way sto0000opid question but I don't know lol).

For a stereo cab maybe I could see if I could run 1 for Left and 1 for Right outs for a 2x12 cabinet, each speaker gets their own amp??

*Dumb idea I presume but before running all over the place to get these hooked up or shelling out $500 or more for an amp maybe some of you cats could lend some experience/knowledge my way.

Ooh hell I don't know lol :)

Thx

If you would like the option to go with stereo, this jack plate will supply all the wiring and switching for you - piece of cake to install, replacing the existing jack plate. It gives you the choice of stereo 4 Ohm and mono 8 ohm and 2 Ohm with a pair of Kones in a 2x12 - it just depends which input socket(s) you plug your power amp into. Just tape over/avoid the 2 Ohm socket if your amp is not capable of supporting such a low impedance

https://www.amplifiedparts.com…plug-and-play-mono-stereo

Antipodes Thank you, so awesome of you. That part will be perfect and only 20 bucks...

You guys are def helping me make better educated decisions. Re-using an ol 2x12 Marshall cab with the Kones would probably be the smartest thing and figure out which power amp will do the trick.

I'd like to run the cab in stereo, I guess one speaker per l/r channel of the power amp, or is "straight up mono" with the 2 speakers wired together a wiser choice?

for over 25yrs I used a Mesa Thiele ported 1x12 EVM12L cabinet in a 10 piece band with no problems. If you think a drummer is loud you should try standing 3 feet in front of a 5 piece brass section ?

I must rethink the 1x12 then. The 1x12 caps and combos I've always owned, they were left behind in the sound of the band causing much frustration not to be heard as well as needed. Even with a Marshall 100w head the 1x12 failed to cut through the noise. What is the difference , I am not an audio engineer per se but is it these higher powered speaker designs as opposed to 30w greenbacks?

I know a guy who has gigged the Gemini lots with no volume issues.

I had my first practice on Monday with the Kabinet, and as long as you have the right amp it will keep up with anything.

Hi dmatthews, a 1x12 keeps up with a drummer and everything else? I know you tole me earlier that you use a Seymour Duncan SD700 which has tons of power. Perhaps I'm relying on what I know about most 1x12 combos but usually they are not very loud for a band setup but great in studio. This is new territory for me.

Hi halipino, I would go for the twin first as it’s only two speakers. Having said that it depends on what type of profiles you’re using. I use an open back and tend to not play high gain.
    if you’re good at modifying a cab then building an internal amp into one is a good idea, if not then external amps are so easy to set up. I use a Ritter amp in the back of my toaster which is excellent, Tilman from Ritter also has amps to sit alongside the Stage.

There are plenty of external amp discussions on this forum to get advice from.

Thx Crookster, much investigation shall be needed to do this correctly. Man seems like a lot of options. Can't be all that hard to build a little shelf inside the box and cut/drill a few holes? Then again... lol I'd botch it up hahaha

Yes, if you primarily use Rigs for amps that are typically used with "open back" cabinets, a Twin-sized open back cabinet would likely be a great solution.

hI paults, Thank you. I also have an old early 80's Marshall 2x12 cab (closed back) would the Twin cab still be better or is this now just down to preference? Being brand new to Kemper Land I would not even be close to guessing which would work best in this domain. With a regular Marshall head I suppose I like the closed back cab more being that is what I've always used (4x12 & 2x12), The Fender cabs I just happened to find along the way but never loaded them up with any speakers.