Posts by bobbyodell

bobbyodell - I'm really glad you kept the Kemper. I think a lot of us suffered from expectation that you just turn it on and it sounds identical to the exact sound you want thru any amp/speaker combination. It can sound near identical but not out of the box. Many profiles sound terrible out-of-the-box. I've even seen complaints about MBritt profiles, which are pretty much the standard profile for the Kemper (esp. for non-high gain). My first epic fail was after just buying the Kemper I went to a practice session with a friend who had a small PA in his music room, and expected to just plug the Kemper into that and it would sound great. It sounded like I was playing thru a cardboard box. I plugged into an external cabinet and sounded wooly. But that was a year ago and I learnt the device and I can get such awesome sounds, that are better than the original amps. I think with Kemper you gotta spend few months with it before you can then just stop tweaking and know the few setting you need to adjust..

I saw Tim Pearce talking about his Kemper and was saying he just uses it like an amp. He only sets it to a Marshall Plexi and uses the gain knob- and that's it. I've got to this now. I have 3 favorite profiles and just use them, and adjust guitar (vol and tone) to taste -- and maybe add an effect to taste.

Oh - in terms of Chorus, I love the CE-1 / Dimension sound you get on a JC-120 / AD-120VTX. My trick it to use Air Chorus and have the Depth set low (1.5 / 2.0 ish).

I would definitely like to here Tim Pierce's stuff on Kemper. This is exactly where I thought about going with it...5 presets MAX.

I was reading a thread on here and some were offering settings for replicating the Dimension and the Rockman chorus.(both used post) I tried the Rockman chorus one. (essentially using a delay with low times) and it was nice but to my ears, the plain old CE-1 tweeked a bit sounded closer to "More than a feeling". For sure good enough to make most say "that sounds just like the song". I first learned how to "make my own" chorus using the dual delay on an SPX-90 set left and right +/- 20ms. Very cool like the detuned sound Van halen used during the Sammy years. Chorus,Flange,Phase is all done with delays done differently and making your own from a delay can produce some really cool results that can avoid the "swoosh" some don't want there. I'm not that picky about chorus sounds, so I'll usually grab one I like OK and go. I even don't mind the plastic danelectro $20.00 chorus. It's kinda like a CE-2 where it seems to not have a lot of voices, and noticeable modulation like a CE-1. Where you put them in the chain makes a bigger difference to me than what kind or how many voices it has although the multi voice chorus like a TC Electronics 1210 is pretty cool. I don't see why you couldn't emulate one with the hyper chorus.

Ahhhhh yes! I think the Kemper mods are perfect...exactly the way I want them. I do want more In Your Face chorus tho. I am reseaching online and it looks like the Dimension sound is doable with the pitch mod thing. I think I just need to keep exploring the Kemp before I put anything in front of it.

My thoughts are why in the world would anyone need a boost in front of a Kemper. It has boosts built in! I have heard many big name acts using Kempers that have a KILLER tone and amount of gain that go straight in and straight to the board. If my sound rivals that in any way, I know I'm good. I like to play some really high gain stuff occasionally and never even use the boost pedals in the Kemper, I just turn the channel gain up with a morph and I'm there for any style or tone. I've messed around with them before but to my ears things get worse with boosts,often "pushed" and not as clear.

I agree 100 with this. Why boost when you can switch profiles? I’ve never got the tone I’m looking for with boost, but lately, with the Kemper, everything sounds great, everything sounds right. Having a great time.

The Kemper chorus is obviously stereo, while the CE2 example is mono, but listening to them both with my monitors set to mono, they're actually pretty close.

They do sound alike, but I cant make the chorus on the Kemper sound my old analog choruses. Maybe in a subtle setting like your examples, but it just doesnt do what my old chorus pedals would do. Doesn't respond the same.

Seismic 1x12V with Kone and Seymour Duncan PS170 mounted internally. Kabinet was perpetually out of stock and Kemper never replied to inquiries about lead time.

I'll second that on the Seismic. I bought one of those Luke Vintage cabs that looks like a Vox AC15 cab, loaded a Scumback 30 watt Scumnico Alnico in there, retubed a Vox Nightrain G2 with vintage NOS tubes and that rig blew up!! I called it my Quarter Plexi. I regret selling the speaker and Vox...still got the cab and wanna load either a Kone or a Celestion Ruby in there. I got an old USA Peavey Bandit I may try a Kone in and run Kemper into the back of it. Idk...its all fun! :P

I have been using Amplitube 4 for the last couple of weeks and have got some pretty dang good hi-gain metal tones out of it. No fizz or grit. The clean tones are just as nice. I don't know how well the amp and cab sims or modeled for that program, but in the end -- I just want good tone. Amplitube 4 blows Helix out of the water. It's great for recordings and playback thru studio monitors.

I am hoping Kemper blows away Amp 4 tone wise. Then I am "there". But I would recommend trying out Amplitube 4 as a plugin and as precursor to digital modeling.

Tonally, the Kemper is as good as it gets without a tube amp, and without the headaches of pedals and processors in front of a tube amp. The delays in the Kemper are heavenly and the effects are great too. If Kemp added some classic Boss chorus in there, it would be the be all end all. I love all the Boss choruses...CE1,CE2 and Dimension. Wish we could get those in there. I'd pay for a package with that trio of choruses.