Posts by Derrick S Billups

Right now I just have the Kemper output via XRL to my interface input. Is that a good way to record guitar tracks... I have read a lot of people using the SPDIF, but I don't understand what the advantage would be? Thanks Monkey_Man. I greatly appreciate your time.

all signals end up digital. they have to or no stereo would ever be able to play them. but in order to get from the kemper to an interface, you have to pass through the Kemper A/D converters, go back to analog from the kemper to then enter the preamps, and then get turned back into a digital signal at the interface so that can be used by your daw. SPDIF bypasses that extra, unnecessary conversation and just keeps the original digital state to rid the freeway to the interface.

Also, these are very long explanations. Im sorry for that. For those don't wish to read, don't. Doesn't hurt my feelings. But Im trying to teach my man here why gate works not what settings to use. Setting are set using personal preference. I can't tell you how to set a gate to make it feel right. But I can explain the details because preference can be established using facts, or trial and error. I like facts first to them use trial an error, so just know, all I'm trying to do is teach in the way that I find helps me best. It it's not how you learn, that completely fine, I didn't write it for people who don't learn good this way so your opinion on it being to long is absolutely one thing that i can say without equivocation, I don't give a flying truck what you think about the length of my reply. I respect you learn different, respect this is for people who learn best with detail information. But don't ever shit on those trying to learn or teach. That doesn't make you funny, just an ass that puts out a ass mating call to other ass by shitting on people. If you don't like my response, let me know so I can take it personal and maybe cry myself to sleep because of your insults. I think it ass mating season, so I'll cry !myself to sleep if you wanna put your mating call in a reply to me.

Also, roll your guitar volume back. Actually you should be doing this already since I've established what clipping is. So if distortion is the idea of to many overtones being stacked to limited head room, then the reverse must be true, reduce clipping, is reduced amount of harmonics per octave which is more head room therefore less sound waves per sound frequency has to mean more clarity. To increase head room, decrease energy, i.e. gain. Gain and volume are not interchange able. The are very similar but not the same. And they can change. So what I told you to do is decrease your guitar volume. But what you are actually doing is decreasing how much energy is hitting the front of your amp. That is 100%. So exactly that means you are reducing the guitar volume. Because you turn it up and down and the amplitude changes. But if we are looking to change the sound of out distortion from amp, our focus no long is how loud the guitar is but how much energy the front of amp is getting. Which doesn't matter what volume your guitar is. You can turn your volume almost all the way down and get a desired distortion sound if you make up that reduction with boosters. People often confuse those concepts. When looking to dial in distortion, you need to control how much energy is going in which determines how much head room your use which is why you clip and therefore get distorted sounds. And if you wanna skip having to use boost pedals to get enough energy, just understand you are controlling the input gain by adjust you guitar volume. Case and point, if you volume pedal on input side of amp then you change the gain and tone. However, if you put the same pedal after your preamp, either In the fx loop, post power amp or if in digital software like bias, that volume pedal no longer effect the tone and power of the signal, rather the amplitude or volume. It's be the sounding amp just getting louder or quieter. So volume and gain are actually the same thing, it just the terms used to describe how we precieve things. Cause make no mistake, if you put a volume pedal post power amp, you will keep increasing the volume till the point of clipping. It's just much harder to do as you have so much more head room, to get it that loud you do physical damage. But s sonic boom is a type of clipping. Jet engines have a harsh dirty tonality cause of clipping. Loud things are not clear cause of clipping. Explosions doing sound like the voice of an angel cause to loud for the head room of earth, which is called our atmosphere, and there sound dirty. It's not my opinion. These are the opinions of the universe taught to us using physics.

Really? Cause I'll say I had a NS and TC Elec Sentry, which the Sentry was great, but pointless cause I got just as good a result of not better with the native gates. So having an external was one more hassle cause switching a profile which from clean to dirty and back I can program my gate on or off but would have to also hit the pedal gate. But it's all about where in line your putting it. I like a 4:1 before my OD. In the real world post OD maybe better, but that all depends on how much interference you introduce with Miss match power, cause most people use a 9v power supply with way too many amps, like my OD ran on 9v 100ma. Most 9v supplies use .5 amp aka 500ma. And so noise would get through, but only cause if you are adding too much power in your chain. If complelty neutral and no extra noise is being added, then in theory, when the guitar notes stop, your sound should. And since kemper didn't profile their OD to have mismatched Power supply or other real word noise introduction, then this is a clean, neutral signal once you're into the digital signal, i.e. once pass the AD/DA conversion, which happens happens after the input jack. Now you just have to logicslly run each secnero to a logical conclusion. So let's start with just the clean guitar DI. How much noise to you get if you gate a clean DI? Personally I don't get any. Since a gate opens and closes at set thresholds, a signal to get loud enough fast and quite quickly will the tightest way to clam a signal. Sure multibands and hysteria levels change the parameters, but even then, my statement still is 100% because that's how physics work. Not cause I believe I can fly. So let's keep running out thoughts out till I feel like we have a pretty clear answer. So if you chose not to gate your DI, what's next? I run on OD. Well that raises my over all amplitude, but my floor is still the same if the gate opens and closes at -60db, that means ever time I play something and you hear it, it had to at least reach -60. But a gate is not a limiter so how far past -60 doesn't effect what the gate does. It effects how you want it to act. but it doesn't give a shit about what you want. Only what you tell it to do. And that means any more amplitude added to the signal i going to increase the time it takes to clamp again, just cause that's how math work. If my DI peaks at -20 db, that means the gate has to wait sound to decay 40dbs before it'll clamp. If my OD hits a peak of -15db, then the gate has to wait for a 45db decay. So, already we know post OD will take longer. But you also have to consider things harder to measure, like OD and distortion is clipping. Which essentially is a clean sound that has ran out of head room and since you can't add anymore clean, those overtones are clipped and start stacking on top of the sound that's there. Distortion is simply having to many haronics play at once and there fore we can't process each fast enough to hear clarity and individual harmonic which is why it sounds dirty. But if you had more head room, you just keep adding those harmonics on top each getting their own space in a new octave. And when I saw clean. I don't mean clean guitar, but clean sound wave, a SINE wave, forgive my spelling, I can't remember if it's sin or sine. Either way it's a perfect sound wave, one oscillation per note per octave. So they why a distorted sound is a compressed sound cause you keep adding harmonics on top of each other instead of letting them be added to higher octaves and frequencies, so your compressing energy together. How , does this mean the best place to put a gate is first in the chain to gate a DI. NO NOT ALL. Hell, a blues player doesn't want to have that hard gating you get with a quick decay. Sustain is their priority. So the point here is my to challenge the numbers. The theory exists whether you think it's true. You can jump off a building shouting gravity is a hoax and you're entitled to your opinion. Hell, I'd at least respect that cause at least that person wants to prove their point with evidence. But when I come along and see your face imprinted in the concrete side walk, I'll say, I hear your opinion, your more than welcome to keep it, I don't care what you believe , I just don't see any new information that contradicts the idea that gravity is real. Actually., I put splattered brains and your inability to talk cause youre dead from jumping, I'll categorize that as actual an experiment that positively supports the theory of gravity. How believe what you want. Your entitled. So like gravity forgive me if I choose not to waste my time debate on the validity of it's truth. If you want to further invetigate some ideas that don't make sense, I'll teach any one anything they wanna know which I feel I can provide information.but if some feels I wrong, that's fine. Just don't confuse me ignoring you as it being the same as me conceding to you. If I'm wrong, I'll concede out loud and admit I'm wrong and thank you for taking the time to reach me. I'll be very loud about that. If I'm silent, its because I don't believe you have the capability to engage in a productive conversation in this area therefore not gonna waste my time.

Andby running 4:1 be