Posts by JEverly

Can you give more detail on what "everything gets messed up" means? It is possible that a setting for the pedal has been inadvertently been changed in the system. This setting would only apply when there is a pedal plugged in and detected by the system. We will need more information to help figure that out.

I did register Reaper. It is worth the registration fee just to have it around. It will get used for sure.

I bought Logic X and have started playing with that a bit. My key for Cubase should be here today. I am going with a bit of a multi DAW approach. I installed Cakewalk on my Windows machine. I am sure that after spending time playing with these one will work it's way to the top for what I want to do. I have the feeling it will depend on what I want to do with a particular song on which one I do the work in. I think this will get me where I want to be. The only thing I may have to spend money on going forward are Cubase upgrades and I can choose when to do those. That stops the annual fees that I was paying.

The price of Logic X was the same as what one year of PT was costing me. I may actually be able to get my latest PT subscription refunded. The person I was talking to about it asked me if I wanted it refunded. At that time I didn't want to be left with nothing at all. Having the active license with them got me a discount on Cubase so it didn't really cost me anything in the end. I would have had to pay the higher price for Cubase without it and would have ended up laying out about the same amount in the end.

I have worked in technical jobs for a long time. Not only am I not afraid of learning a new DAW, I am actually looking forward to it. I need something new to do in my life right now. I have been extremely bored over the past year. I found some places where I can get some raw tracks to mix and master. I also found a training site that I am looking into. If I could turn this into a side hustle, that would be a perfect end goal. I love doing techie things and I love music.

I agree with what you are saying. I am not going to go through threads and quote the things that get said in them but they are not all worded in the way a feature request should be. They are down right complaints that have the tone that the Kemper is junk because it doesn't do this one thing exactly the way the person wants it to. The interesting thing is that the people making these statements stick with the unit and will throw the obligatory statement in that it is the best unit in the world, except it is junk because of this one thing. Pretty much every one of these types of threads has those comments in it.

Yeah bro lots of choices. Reaper is pretty stinking good and getting better. I stick with pro tools because the majority of industry revolves around it... If you can't beat em, join em I guess....???

That was the reason I went with them in the first place. I am changing my mind on that now. You can always export stems in WAV format to pass them to someone with a different DAW. I am doing this all in my home for my own enjoyment at this point. If I were making money with this and doing work for others, I would probably own and keep a decehandfulull of these programs installed and working. From what I am seeing Cubase is also very widely used in big studios. That was another reason for selecting that DAW.

What DAWs are you looking at? I'm a glutton for punishment so I stay with pro tools. Ha I went for the perpetual licences and just hope in the years time they get solid for win 11... I can stay in place for years if it's a working system.

I am actually moving away from Pro Tools because they doubled the price of the perpetual license. I was okay with the $99 per year. I am not with $199 per year.

I have been looking at these.

Logic X - Mac only

Reaper

Ableton Live

Cubase Pro

Cakewalk - Windows only

Studio 1

I am currently running on a Macbook Pro. I may want to move to my Windows machine when my Macbook no longer works for my needs. I don't want to spend the money to replace it when I can buy a Windows machine for half of the price, which I recently did.

I installed Reaper on both platforms. I registered it because it is only $60 and it is worth that for me to have it as a backup or just for some quick things if that is the purpose I choose to use it for.

Ableton is more for creating with loops so I passed on that one.

Cakewalk is only for Windows. It is free so I installed that on my Windows machine and like the look of it but haven't spent much time with it yet.

I didn't really dig too deep into Studio 1. I had a version of it that came with a Presonus mixer I bought years ago. I know they have improved it since then but I wanted to stick with something that has a bigger userbase so I passed on this one as well. I also found out they have a perpetual license but it isn't much less than the Pro Tools license and I am not a fan of that type of license so that was a factor as well.

I recently started getting to the point where I could see I was probably going to end up using more than one of these and would probably settle into one as my main DAW. That led me to purchase Logix X and Cubase Pro. I am still waiting on the license dongle for Cubase but have installed Logic and started digging into it. So far I haven't gone beyond what I can do in Garage Band with it. I am hoping to get some time on it this weekend. I am watching videos on it to get familiar with the workflow. I will do the same with Cubase when I get the license dongle for it. My plan is to learn to work with Cubase Pro since I can use that on either platform. I was able to get a crossgrade price on it so I was able to buy both applications for around the cost of buying Cubase without the discount. My search is over and my learning is starting. The little bit that I have played with Logic has been fun.

We all agree the Kemper is amazing. The fact it is as old as it is and is still the best out there says loads about the design and follow thru the Kemper team has been doing. Does not mean we cant dream of the next rev and what we think it should be able to do.

I understand dreaming. The reason these types of threads make me scratch my head is that they are always complaint threads. People complain that Kemper doesn't do things or doesn't do them the same way that another unit does them. If the unit doesn't do what you want it to do and another unit does, you probably chose the wrong unit for your needs. That makes me wonder if the threads are really buyers remorse or the grass looks greener threads. FOMO

For me, my Kemper gives me the best amp like tones I have heard from a digital unit. That in itself is enough for me to learn how the unit works and use it in the manner that it was designed. If they choose to enhance it in some way with software updates, that is just icing on the cake. Expecting new features frequently is another whole topic in itself. My Kemper is not the only digital unit that I have. It is however the one that I plug into the most.

If these threads are really about dreaming of what you want it to do, they should be posted as such in the requested feature areas but done in a positive manner and not a complaint thread. IMHO

I don't switch patches manually. My shows have lights synchronized to backing tracks and everything is automated via midi from Logic.

As for your argument about KPA being just a replacement to amps - I think this alone just doesn't cut it for many in today's world. Competition caught up - you can get great tones from axe fx, helix and quad. All 3 are better suited for computer driven workflows, like mine - they require less cables/gear - essentially... just USB and you can do everything: play, record and reamp. I stick to KPA because I love the simplicity, workflow and the look - I bonded with it immediately and enjoy it everyday. I just wish it moved on a bit and be on par with other modern solutions when it comes to taking audio and midi in/out without tons of cables / interfaces.

My understanding is that you can do the automatic rig changes with MIDI and the current units. So the issue that you have with it is not that it can't do it but that you want it to do it through a USB connection to cut down on the number of cables you hook up. I can understand wanting the convince but the functionality is there if you want to use it. The current circuit boards in the units may not be able to handle this type of communication. I am sure if they can Kemper may consider adding this functionality.

I think my point is still valid. By your own admission there are units out there that are probably a better fit for your needs/wants. Your decision is to stick with the Kemper and want it to do everything the other units do. That is the exact scenario that I mentioned. I am not trying to start an argument with you. I am just having a conversation with you. As I mentioned, this happens on a number of other forums with other products as well. If you want to wade through a ton of options and have to make a decision on what works best for you try buying new DAW software. That has been giving me a headache. I know I have to accept the software for what it does and how it does it. I will have to learn it's workflow and use it in the manner in which it was designed. It is the same scenario with more options to sort through.

Well... no, I would like to turn that around forever. If guys think they do not "need" a successor, then the successor is not for them. That's fine (they maybe never played in a U2 tribute band, btw). But others simply "need" a successor with all the bugs from generation one removed plus more and better features so that the unit can finally do everything on the same high level it can do amp sound as a standalone unit in 2022 (to 2037). Sometimes you only realise what you "need" when you get it and have it front of you. It is only then you realise that you never want to go back and you cannot imagine how you used to live and make music without that innovation.

That all sounds like FOMO to me. It is wanting one device to rule them all. These digital units start out with a specific design in mind. If they try to make the device the everything to everyone unit, they will fail. It just can't be done. You can't please everyone. You have to look at what your needs are an pick the unit that fits those needs the best. If you want a smaller form factor, those units exist, QC. If you want multiple amps and cabinets, Fractal. The design of the Kemper is to replace your amp and pedal board. Most people are not dragging three amps to a gig.

We see many of these types of threads on here. They are just a bunch of complaining. Just to note, these types of threads also happen on the other digital device forums, I see them there too. I get it that one device that does everything a person can ever think of would be desirable. I believe that is what Fractal believes the Axe FX III Turbo is. It must not be or we would all have one and wouldn't be having this discussion on Kemper forum.

I feel like this is starting to turn into a conversation that is not going to go anywhere good. I am not going to respond to it after this. These are the thoughts that I have that make me not understand these types of threads. I don't want to turn it into an argument, as I stated in my first post.

And I do get these threads - we all have different needs, love this hardware, want it to be better and not share the fate of Virus. As much as KPA sounds and feels great its hardware is outdated and due for revision (I'm talking about Toaster). Audio via USB is a standard and useful feature nowadays. Startup time of over a minute sucks big time (during my latest gig we managed to blow up fuse and power down the whole stage) - when we got power back all devices, except my KPA, were ready to go within 10 - 15 seconds, KPA needed over a minute. UI is noticeably slow on Toaster when you compare it with... pretty much any gear produced in last 5-7 years.

KPA Stage is a step forward in a sense that its main CPU is much faster, but still misses modern means of sending audio to / from computer. Not to mention that lack of MIDI via USB (every single device which as USB port I came across do it - KPA chooses to stay behind, for reason I just don't get).

I care less about touch-screen, although it would be a good addition. I have a few synths, some with touch screen, some without - the one with touch screen is way more convenient to use. But synths have very deep structure to tweak - KPA is super simple, so touch screen wouldn't probably help much.

From what I can see the Kemper was made to replace your amps, not your audio interface. That is probably why audio via USB is not something they have done. I am betting that there would be a lot of additional hardware needed to make that happen. It is a different design than what they have built.

As for startup time, my Stage and my brand new FM9 take around the same time to boot up.

I have my Stage connected to my computer via SPDIF. I can connect it via any of the outputs on the back as well. What are they missing other than the audio over USB mentioned above?

What do you use MIDI over USB for? I don't have that need and seems like another audio interface function.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Haven't had time to hook up the ARC. Still trying to get newest pro tools to work with win 11...

I'm ahead of the curve with a new win 11 pc and waiting and praying the software vendors catch up to new OS... It never ends lol

I am doing everything I can right now to future proof my recording rig. I am dumping Pro Tools. I am tired of the annual subscription price. I have pulled down a few DAW applications on both my Mac and Windows machines. I just bought a new Windows 11 machine on black Friday last year. I think my Macbook Pro has reached the end of the new operating systems being able to be applied to it. I am on Big Sur and it isn't giving me the option to install Monteray so I think it is done. I probably won't be willing to spend the money for a new Mac, especially since I just bought the new Windows machine. I will just need to purchase a good size monitor for it so I have a big screen to work on. That is the only piece that I don't have that I can't switch over to right now for hardware.

I don't get these threads. My Kemper does everything I want it to do. People keep asking for features that the Fractal units have. They are completely different units with completely different designs. There isn't one end all be all unit. I think the Kemper sounds fantastic and really don't want it to be just like a Fractal unit. I like that they are different. To me, the Kemper still does a much better job of reproducing the sound of the amp than any other unit on the market that I have tried, not that I have tried a lot of them. I am not saying this to get a fight started, but, if this unit doesn't do everything you want it to do, it may not be the right unit for you and that is okay. Buy what fits your needs. All of these modern day units are very capable of making awesome sounds.

I have never tried that. I am not sure you would be able to make that work. You need to have something plugged into the send and the return of the Kemper to create a profile. With a guitar you only have one cable.

I have profiled a cable and a pedal. The cable profile gives you a good neutral clean profile. Pedals can give varying results from my testing. I do them as a direct profile and then add a cab, or IR to it. The one I have been playing with came out very thick sounding. I haven't made it back to messing with it in a while. I profiled it with a few different settings. From what I remember, the settings didn't really change the sound of the profile that much.

I wouldn't mind someone telling me what genre niche they feel this falls into because I am not sure except I feel it's more "today" than "yesterday".

It is interesting that you put it that way. My first thought was that it has a very 80's pop sound to it. I get that feeling from the effects on the guitar and the sound of the drums.

Hi guys, quick follow-up. Got my RME last week and it's pretty amazing, the total mix software is a bit tricky but this is a vast improvement. ??

It took me a minute to figure that software out but after a little playing around with it I figured it out. Once you get it, you will love what it does.

Did you get the free ARC USB with yours? I hooked mine up but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I will definitely be getting some time on it soon. I am going through this DAW replacement stuff. I am almost there. I have some programs to mess with so I know I will be playing with it to figure out which DAW I am going to use as my main one.

The cheaper option is reaper. It’s like 80 bucks it can hold its own against the $500 programs. granted some of them come with a bigger package of plug-ins, but the reaper plug-ins aren’t bad either. Super easy to use very intuitive and they have great organized tutorials for everything on their website

I have installed Reaper on both my Mac and my Windows machine to get familiar with it again. It is $60 to register it. I will probably do that. It is worth that to me just to have it as a backup if needed. My SSD5 installed into it on both machines with no issues so I have my drums available that I am familiar with.

I only use a compressor on a clean rig. This is exactly how I use a compressor in all of my guitar solutions. An overdriven tone is already compressed. I would never want to try to compress it more. That to me is a recipe for unwanted feedback and noise. This to me would have the same affect as using way too much gain.

That is interesting. My research has been pointing me to Logic X and Cubase. I may end up buying both. I really like the look and capabilities of Logic X. I am finding a lot of good things in Cubase Pro as well. I found a crossgrade price on Cubase and am going through verification on that now. If I can buy both of these and not have to reinvest in this for a few years, I would consider that a win. From what I was just told, I can buy the current version of Cubase Pro and would get the new version for free later this year. They said the grace period started in November for getting the upgrade for free.

From what I have seen, Ableton Live and FL Studio is made more for people that want to use loops and build more computer based music. That isn't what I do. Studio 1 has a subscription base just like PT and that is one thing I am trying to get away from.