Posts by JEverly

If I owned a venue where bands played, I would own baffles of my own and request that they use them. I honestly like them and almost bought one for myself several times. A friend of mine uses his pedalboard case as a blocker for his amp. He sets it in front of the amp so nobody ends up in the beam of the speaker. I put tilt back legs on my amp so I can keep people out of the beam and point it at the back of my head.

With the way things are evolving in my area now, being able to do it silently is the best way. The movement to a silent stage is well under way here.

Getting presets/rigs level set is the weakness of every digital unit I have used. I haven't seen a good solution to this yet. One of the units I have has meters in it that you can use to help but it is still a challenge.

Have you by chance pulled the pickups to see what they are? I ask that because the first thing that caught my attention is the size of the pole pieces. The only pickups I have seen with pole pieces that big are from Tom Anderson. That may have some nice expensive pickups in it.

Dis you manage to find the answer? I know this thread is 10 years old buy why not!

Can you give some details of the issue you are having? Computer operating systems and interface drivers have come a long way since this thread was started. I have an RME UCC II and have had zero issues getting my Kemper Stage to work using SPDIF into my interface. I didn't have to adjust anything. It all worked like it should when I plugged it in.

I will be interested to hear how you are doing with this journey and how you feel about the tones you are getting. I also use Fractal as well as Kemper. Coming from the Fractal world, you should find this unit more straight forward and easier to use. It has some deep parameters but nothing like the Fractal units have. I find it easier to get the sound and feel I want from the Kemper. There are a few things that Kemper gets beat up for. Solutions to those things are here in the forum in posts where others have brought them up.

If you have an amp that you have gigged with that you really like, you can profile it. That is one of the biggest benefits of the Kemper. I profiled an amp that I have gigged with for 7 or 8 years and the profiles came out great and sound as well as feel like the real deal.

I had tons of WIFI issues at my house. There must be a lot of radio interference where I live. The only thing that fixed it for me was when I broke down and bought an Orbi system. It is a mesh system with a router and two satellite stations that connect to it. It made a big difference in my speeds all across the house. My house isn't that big. This system can cover a lot more ground than I own.

From a guitar player who also does a lot of live mixing, don't use reverb on your sound. Reverb tends to multiply when going through the system and is something that gets out of control very fast. The better way to get some space in your sound is to use delay. That is much more controllable and doesn't get out of control and trash your sound.

IMHO, you have the best amp. I have the PS-100 so I may be a bit biased... :)

I have the Kemper Stage. I ran it into the line in on the Fryette from the output of my Kemper. You will want to use a patch cable or instrument cable (1/4") so you have the extra shielding in it to help keep noise out of your signal. You will want to make sure you have the cabinet turned off in the profile since you are sending the signal into a real cabinet.

The Kemper sounds massive running it this way.

My old home Focal Monitors (1 of them) died today after almost 17 years of duty and I went to buy New ones. I've tried a lot in the Shop and ended up with 2 Setups in the shortlist: Yamaha HS7+sub and HS8 alone (tried with sub as well, but that was waaaay to much). The HS8 came home with me, and the main reason was the definition of the highs (!!!). On the 7 they sounded way too compressed compared to the 8.

I must say that I use them only for practicing or some occasional jam with a friend/my wife, no serious mixing out of an 8 tracks digital recorder to save some idea. Any serious job is done in a proper studio.

I like very much what I hear so far, now I understand why you see those boxes in every single control room around the world (obviously together with some high $$$ ones)

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/Bq6Q4g0.jpeg]

This is interesting to me. I consulted a couple of guys that do a lot of tracking and mixing and have experience in doing this in studios when I bought my speakers. For the room size I work in they recommended the HS7 speakers and left it up to me on the sub. I ended up with a pair of the HS7 speakers with the sub. The sub has a volume knob on it so you can set the level for your room. What is interesting to me is that I don't hear any sort of compressed sound on the high end. I think the HS7 and HS8 have the same tweeter in them. The only difference is the woofer. I really like the speaker setup that I have. I dialed in the sub to my room and the volume I typically use the system at and all works well for me. I listened to some mixes on many devices to determine what I needed to do in my room and volume wise to get a good representation in my room.

I have only purchased a few professionally made profiles. The packs I have are multiple profiles of the same amp with various settings. There are studio profiles as well as direct profiles in the pack. That gives me the option to merge some of them or use a cabinet that I like or an IR with them. I think the packs I have contain around 30 profiles for each amp. Some of the ones I have were done with a light overdrive pedal in front of them.

I have profiled my own amps as well and used a light OD in front of them with good results. Some amps and pedals don't profile well. I played around with profiling some OD pedals and the results are varied. Some came out a bit too dark sounding. Some I was able to adjust some settings after the profiling process to get them to sound decent. If you have an OD pedal that is fairly transparent it can add some nice tone to the profile. If it is higher gain it will probably not come out well.

If you look at the MBritt or Tone Junkie web sites you can see how they package their profiles. They will list how many profiles there are and if they used any pedals in the profile.

I think it sounds pretty good. I listened to it on some cheap speakers plugged into my computer so I can't really offer any mixing feedback other than I tend to listen to mixes on numerous devices, including speakers like I listened to this on, and I didn't hear anything that needed fixed IMHO.

• Instrument cable from Profiler Direct Output to Apollo front guitar input (with Direct Output set to Git Analog) in case you want to record a DI track.
    • XLR female -> 1/4" TRS from Profiler Main Output L to Apollo Mic/Line 1L (with Main Output set to Master Mono) to monitor/record the Profiler in mono.
    • 2 x XLR female -> 1/4" TRS from Profiler Main Output L/R to Apollo Mic/Line 1L/2R (with Main Output set to Master Stereo) to monitor/record the Profiler in stereo.

No speaker cables required to hook up to your audio interface.

This right here. ^^^

With line audio, you can get away with simpler shielding.

Instrument cables generally have better/more shielding since the signal generated by the pickups is so minute.

I would still recommend using an instrument cable. Extra shielding is a good thing. Speaker cables typically only have the PVC shielding on the outside of the wire. An instrument cable will have a metal shielding inside of the PVC shielding to help prevent any noise getting introduced into the signal. While a speaker cable may work there is more potential for noise to get into the signal.

That will almost certainly not be "flat" but probably sound great. Flat is not always better sounding, Most of us are used to hearing pleasantly colored speakers and systems. Having reference monitors that aren't perfectly flat doesn't mean you couldn't record a Grammy winning album with them. They're a reference. You have to get to know your speakers and know how they will sound comparatively with other systems, car stereos, earbuds etc. You'll reference multiple speakers. It doesn't help that you're using $10,000.00 monitors if it sounds bad through everyone's stereos. You have to create the sound you want on an album. Play a great sounding favorite album of yours through an analyzer. It won't be "flat".

It depends on how loud you turn the sub up. It is only going to produce what you give it. The speakers sound good. You can hear the lower frequencies better with the sub. I worked on a rap song for a guy I work with. This is not a genera of music I listen to. I did a lot of listening and asked for some reference tracks. I am not sure I could have done as good of a job on that song without the sub. There is a lot of low end in that type of music. I listened to it on several different systems to make sure it was matching the reference tracks. When I let him hear it was really surprised at how well it came out.

I have a pair of HS7 , these are great however do not expect 100Hz bass frequency to reflect fully the amp profile, it's very far from a 4x12 thump

Anyway they are perfect for recording & mixing, done hundreds of mixes on them, they are super reliable in terms of clarity .

I use a Kone on self made cab to get the thump & vibe while recording my guitars to complement the great stereo field

Get the sub for the HS7s. I have a pair of the HS7 speakers and bought the sub shortly after I got them. For me, that was worth every cent.

Wow, I didn't even know this was in the Kemper. Is it convincing? I know a guy that has a real talk box that he uses for a few songs. It would be cool to be able to use something like this in the Kemper if it sounds close enough to the real thing.