Posts by Dynochrome

Same here. I don't really like or need the whole "sales engineer" model. That's why most of my online purchases are at Musician's Friend / AMS / Zounds. I see it, I buy it, they send it. No phone calls. No emails. Sweetwater is a last resort if i can't find it elsewhere or their price is significantly cheaper (and it never is).

If you call your sales "engineer" ( how are you an engineer without an engineering degree?) he/she will NEVER be in. He's/She's the one that will be calling you asking if you want anything though. I don't know why they bother "assigning" you one.

Unfortunately, we cannot publish any software updates without one or two users broadcasting a complete change of all their tones.

Understood. That's what it sounded like to me, like something else was happening on the user end not directly update related. Just wanted to check to see if anyone else would concur.

OK I'm going to say this isn't happening, and go ahead and update. I can't get anyone to tell me this is or isn't legitimate. Sometimes newbies post problems, then discover it was something they did or overlooked then never report back.

What I'm trying to find out is what changed when going to 10.2.2 to make it sound "horrible" as the OP reported. So far there have been no real specific answers. So is this true or false? Is something happening or not?

Yeah if you go to the output section it has low and high cut pots. But, now there are also cuts available at the cab section.

There has always been high and low cabinet shaping. Are you saying there are HPF and LPF in the cab section now? Are those being changed during the update?

Kemper have said repeatedly that they won’t do this because “as soon as you change any parameter it is no longer that preset”. However, I would definitely prefer that the preset name is shown UNTIL any parameter is adjusted.

I see. Makes sense I guess but I never change anything with my wahs except for setting "off at toe" so I wouldn't think that would constitute editing. I'm not positive, but now that you mention it, I think if you don't touch it, and come back before moving off the profile it will read "editing preset XXX" Not sure about after you save it, I'll have to install a unaltered preset, save, then come back and see if it still reads the preset name. I know there are instances when it will, but not sure at what point it quits. Maybe it is like you said when ANY edits are done including "off at toe" etc.

Is there a way to tell what preset a Kemper drive or wah is after installing in a slot? Example: I put a "crybaby red" in a slot and later coming back to it I don't see any way of telling what preset I put in there. Same with Kemper drive. If I put the "Klon" or something in there and decide I want to try something else for a while and remember what I was using there is no way to tell what I was using short of writing down the parameters.

I was using the Crybaby and then decided I liked the Vox. Going back and looking in the slot I can't tell what is in there now or if I already changed it. Maybe I'm missing something?

If the tone stack and gain controls are being modeled - and they are - then yes, the gain should behave differently.

If it were a simple taper value, Kemper (or someone else) would have done it years ago. No one did - and even none other than Eric Klein (Chief Product Design Architect at Line6) congratulated them.

So then even without touching any controls, just inserting a LP stack would change the tone as the gain would be modeled at that position as opposed to having generic gain controls applied.

A proper LP will have the gain increase mimic/match what the amp would actually do. I believe its more than just a simple taper, otherwise they'd have done this ages ago.

If that is so it would be much more complicated than just the taper/amount. The distortion type could change depending on the amp and how high it is turned up. That is the question I am seeking, whether the gain is still like the generic gain in different amounts or it actually changes the gain itself like the actual amp does, if that makes sense.

To be more precise why I ask is people will often say you can take a high gain profile and it will sound ok turning the gain down but turning the gain up becomes "unnatural". Is that solely because it may go out of the gain range of the original amp? Or is it because the gain actually sounds different when using a Liquid Profile?

So if I understand correctly, Speaking only of the gain control, LP adjusts the taper and the amount of gain on tap and has nothing else to do with the way the gain sounds.

Is there a sound difference between "generic gain" and the LP gain of an amp? I realize the taper, and amount offered will change to match the actual amp, but within the same gain range, is the sound different between generic and the LP gain of an amp? In other words, lets say I have a Marshall LP and it shows the gain on 9. Generic gain would have been like 6 to match the same level. If nothing is done to the EQ, does the amp feel/sound the same between a liquidprofile and the same profile with a generic stack set at matching gain levels?

I just wondered if I am using unaltered snapshots of an amp and don't care if the EQ or gain taper/amount is "authentic" Is there a reason to use liquid profiles?

Say if I have a Soldano amp I've been using pre LP, is there anything I will gain by adding a LP stack of a Soldano to it if I don't know the original EQ settings?

Personally, I don't prefer merged or direct. I like what the cabdriver does. Direct sounds too much to me like guitar rigs on a DAW that you then have to add an IR to. Something about using studio profiles give it that something extra to me. I don't have to mess with it and I just find profiles with cabs that go to the board sounding like my "real" guitar cab onstage. Things change when you go to a "real" cab and you have to find the right speaker that doesn't color so that it sounds consistent with your main outs.

No special profiles needed for use with a cab, your ears just have to get used to a cab and the room volume.

I'll get used to playing at a low volume in the studio then going to just a cab in the room will be odd at first, but once my ears get used to the volume, I just want to crank it up more and more, it sounds so great when that guitar speaker gets going. That's the "amp in the room" sound people try to find. It's right there.

So, to get back to the questions, what does definition do: it could possibly adjust the amplitude envelope of higher frequencies. Higher frequencies are responsible for what we perceive as transients, which then in turn help to give clarity to a sound's attack part of the envelope.

I want to believe. I want to believe we'll get the answer to what it does. Meanwhile, I'm putting my money on definition predominately choosing to distort the lower harmonics on lower settings and upper harmonics on higher settings while discontinuing the distorting of lower ones.