Posts by Dynochrome

From manual: Vintage amps distort the lower harmonics in the guitar signal which gives them their bluesy sound. Modern tube amps use a different approach, in which the higher overtones of the guitar strings are the driving force for the distorted sound.

This is some great discussion. Now you see why I was confused about the above quote in the manual. This is from the section explaining Definition but doesn't explain what it does. and as we have witnessed in this thread, "overtones" and "harmonics" have different perceptions, but what did Kemper mean when the manual was written? Where does it say what it really does turning it up or down? Is it adjusting distortion in harmonics, overtones both or neither? I know If I wrote a manual I would just simply explain what definition does, You could likely do that in a paragraph or less.

Not new on here but I have a new headshell that I wanted to show off and I wasn't sure where to post. I was always jealous of the rack guys that could have a back panel to spare connections on the Kemper unit (specifically the ethernet) If those fragile needle terminals went down before a show from constant unplugging, I'd be screwed big time.

Rack units are bigger, don't sit on my desk well and I already had a toaster. I've been using a "dongle" extension to save the plug but it sticks out a bit and leaving it in in a case left it a liability and removing it made no sense because I might as well just used the cable then.

I contacted the guy who makes cases for BA and made this case that I had sketch drawings of and he came up with final solutions. The top aluminum angle holds the female ethernet jack and top backstop. You can replace the cord for about $5.00 which is hundreds cheaper than getting the jack repaired. I'll keep a spare. the bottom is the stop for a velcro/magnet rear cover which goes inside to keep footprint small.

The pictures look a bit out of scale because of the angle, but his craftsmanship was fantastic. All the matching fits installing the Kemper were perfect, easy and secure. Snap on front cover is grooved brilliantly conforming to keep it in place firmly with a lightweight clasp. The original handle even goes on. I received all necessary hardware and had it installed in minutes. The depth of his hardware for the feet was within .009" so it was perfect, not poking in too far or not enough. It really exceeded my expectations for a prototype.

I agree with everything said so far. Def seems to be an EQ adjustment at the input. My guess is it rolls off the lows. And agree it could be almost a tilt eq.

Assuming it does not do a great deal more than input EQ, you could attach the Kemper to a sound card and run Room EQ Wizard on it to see the actual EQ changes.

I think a lot of people look at it as an EQ because of what it sounds like but I'm guessing that is a result of what it is doing.

I'm going with the belief that definition is adjusting if high or low harmonics (overtones?) are being selectively distorted and how much.

No. It balances clean to distorted globally (which also happens to affect how gain knob changes behave within individual rigs). I have mine locked at -6db for all guitars otherwise I need to reduce the level of each individual clean (low gain) rig by about 6db to stop them completely overpowering mid to high gain rigs.

I believe It is only "global" because you have the input locked which locks everything there (including the noise gate which I want to be able to adjust per rig). Without the rig locked, it's rig per rig which to me, is unusable and doesn't make much sense unless you are only using one rig and vary the gain.

I think it would be great if one could lock the clean/dist sense independently, It would make much more sense IMO. The only other thing you could do is store each and every rig which makes no sense as you could just adjust the volume then. Unless..as I wrote, you were just using one rig and manipulating the gain knob. (and some people do that.)

Good point.

Though in the description above I'd guess that both words should be "overtone", since I'd assume that an amp - vintage or modern - has no way of discerning whether something is an overtone or a harmonic.

Agreed. So I still wonder what the Kemper is doing. Affecting overtones, harmonics, or both? I like knowing the technical details as it helps my understanding when adjusting. Sure I could just "use my ears" but I like to be progressive and learn new things. That's how I got to be smart 8)

I know a lot of people think of the definition control as a way to balance the bass/treble of the amp. I have read that the Definition control can make amps more "vintage" at lower settings and "modern" at higher settings. So what exactly is it doing? The manual is a bit confusing the way it's worded.

From manual: Vintage amps distort the lower harmonics in the guitar signal which gives them their bluesy sound. Modern tube amps use a different approach, in which the higher overtones of the guitar strings are the driving force for the distorted sound.

By "higher overtones" does it really mean "upper harmonics"? If so this is where I wish the manual would stick with the same term just using "harmonics" and not switch to "overtones" in the same sentence"  OR Does lower settings change "harmonics", and upper settings change " higher overtones " depicted as a separate thing and not upper "harmonics"?

See this is where I get confused as I read and try to understand things literally and exactly. I think it could be written easier to understand.

So is it a correct guess that the definition control isn't simply a bass/treble balancer but as a control to select if lower or upper harmonics are distorted, latter of which which gives you the perception of more top end?  I'm curious to find out exactly what definition is really doing with the amp sound.

My recordings don’t match what I hear at the equipment

When I'm tracking, first thing I do is get the playback at the exact same level as the artist hears when monitoring, If it's higher or lower, perception comes into play. If they want the monitor louder, the playback does too that way the volume isn't a factor in what's going down.

Most all here know that as volume goes up, the eq changes. (and the "feel" to me as well) If you need proof of why that's important, play two moderate level tracks for any average music consumer. Don't tell them both are exactly the same except for a slight bit of volume. Ask them which had the better sound/tones. Even though nothing has changed in the mix or eq, they'll pick the slightly louder one.

I know that's not the top of your issues but IMO this should be a goal.

I have a software mix monitor and it lets me set everything (tracking level, playback etc.) to where it matches and then just use a master volume as things need to go up and down. If someone wants something louder, the playback comes with it. Of course as it gets pretty loud the aforementioned perceptions kick in and you might have to adjust a bit, but the goal is to have it so the playback is consistent.

If playback is louder than the monitor people often think the guitar frequencies are to "upper mid" if too soft, it doesn't have any "punch".

Gig bag just aren't rigid enough for me to be safe. Even packing in a car there are so many ways the neck could be easily broke that a case wouldn't allow. I'll stack my cases in a way you wouldn't do with a gig bag. I wouldn't stack gig bags 4 high and by the time gig bags were good enough to let you do that, you might as well have a case.

Hm two guitar gig bag. Sounds practical. Any recommendation?

I'll never understand the gig bag thing. I wouldn't carry a guitar worth over $50.00 in one. They take up the same space as a case (It still has to fit a guitar in) Guitars get a little scratch protection but none from any pressure. A bump against a doorway can still bust a pot or tuner and damage wood. It's just not worth the gamble, I'll just carry the guitar in two pillowcases for the same protection and then it won't look like it can take more than it can.

I use Kemper as much as I can get away with but still find there are several situations where amp + pedalboard gets you there faster and is the better choice. But yes these Rig Rundowns are often totally ridiculous and the host must often be rolling his eyes internally.

Actually the host was acting impressed, and I was thinking, "Wait until you see what I can do with my "old" Kemper".

Kemper is the one and done. If you need to have something new to blow money on to keep you interested, Buy whatever AxFX or Line 6 device that comes out each year that is so much better than last year's. Worst part of a Kemper is that it cured the GAS I've had for decades. I kinda liked the searching, but now I just search profiles if I need something different.