Posts by Dynochrome

What do modeling companies not designing modelers specifically with your needs in mind have to do with you owning a Kemper?

OK I'll spell it out for you. Why would I buy something that DIDN'T have my needs in mind? I wouldn't. That's why I bought a Kemper. Kemper totally had my need in mind.

Normally amps on RE have a name you can associate with the original so you know what they are, presumably to avoid legal issues with the manufacturer, but makes it hard to guess it the other way around when searching. For example, what would be the best way to search for a Fender 61-63 6G3 brown deluxe profile? My search results were so small, I figured I am doing something wrong. 61 Flender, 63 Flounder, 62 Brownface got nothing I even tried 63 Fender and got 2 results.

The ability to use two or more amps and cabs simultaneously is pretty standard in a lot of modelers.

It's also pretty standard for most modelers to be not as good sounding. Kemper is leading the pack sound and feel wise, not following. The originality of the product tells me he wasn't trying to do the "standard" thing. And I'm thankful!

I could be wrong but I don't think that was the case. I believe that the original vision was specifically to allow touring pros to have a way of recreating their exact studio sounds in a simple to transport box. Hence the reason for the snapshot nature rather thanmodelling. It was also designed to allow studios to capture the entire signal path for a guitar take so that it could be reused later if an artist wanted to overdub something after the signal path had been dismantled. That seems like a very specific vision rather than a desire to create a way of satisfying a broader range of preferences.

As I wasn't there when he had the initial inspiration and don't know him personally to ask the question I will probably never know the truth but that is what I think happened.

He also realized you can't make some people happy with what YOU'VE done. Almost every big artist has a "custom" this or that, they have to let you know they're more important and can't just use the stock thing like everyone else or they have to "customize" it or they won't like it. (At my job as a machine designer, we call that "rubbing your stink on it"LOL) So instead of putting models in for someone to complain about, he made it so if you don't like the way it sounds, it's no one's fault but your own. Brilliant Idea.

i just got a kemper and working with the LCD menus feel like I just traveled back in time to year 2000 when cell phones started to become popular for common people. I hope a new kemper product comes out soon

How primitive is a 69 superlead UI? Very. How might it sound? Killer! I'd trade that any day for a digital unit with a flashy UI that looks amazing but sounds like a POD 2.0. The Kemper is way more advanced than an plexi front panel and I just want it to sound great, & be familiar with "normal" amp controls. That's the main reason I chose a Kemper over an AXFX. It's all there with a Kemper,simple and I didn't buy one for what my eyes like. I wouldn't care if it had a screen like an atari if it sounded the way it does. It's not an entertainment system or an Iphone, it's an amplifier.

I am very happy with the Kemper and ain't looking to buy other amps anymore.

Owning a Kemper cured my GAS. Especially knowing it can replicate any amp to the point the owner can't tell the difference. I think I want to play a '74 4 holer today, done. I wonder what a Friedman BE100 sounds & feels like? Done. Matchless? Sure. I am selling all my gear and rigs I would use live (except 1 for a backup)(Keeping all my vintage stuff of course) I have made mistakes and have regrets selling off gear in the past but with a Kemper I really cannot see that happening. It's really changed my entire outlook on wanting new amps.

yep, I do play at home through studio monitors most of the time and enjoy having reverb and delay in stereo but wouldn’t want to use it that way live and wouldn’t want to have to separate amps running either but maybe I’m just too old skool ?

No I don't think so. IMO Stereo live is "amateurish". Big time guitar players playing big arenas aren't stereo. One side would get shorted on sound like listening to Van Halen one with one speaker out. It would have no positive impact on the audience. Panning FX would at the board but there is no real point in doing it in clubs. At home, I love doing it but live I want a mono mix. The stereo part would come automatically with the room and your ears.

I look at it like this. Does anybody complain that a 68 marshall plexi tone is "outdated" and needs to be upgraded? (Well there may be some) Or a 57 twin isn't any good anymore because there are newer amps that do this or that?

I have played both of those aforementioned amps and can tell you good tone is good tone. I can make my Kemper sound just as good if not better than those amps so how can that be "improved"? It already has, it's called a Kemper profiler. If you have something that sounds indistinguishable from the original what is the need for a shiny new thing? I have a Kemper with a 68 plexi and 57 twin built in. If I want something else I can have it too. Sound wise, a Kemper can never become outdated any more than a vintage amp collection would.

BTW this is an often overlooked feature of immense value.

No other contender has it.

Agreed. I LOVE this about the design. It's "compressed" but not compressed. More like automatically leveled. The leveling seems adjustable by the clean sense but so far I usually just use the volume in the Amp stack and nudge a bit one way or another. So far I've never needed more than a couple DB and less if I stay with the same profile set. If I mix between different profile makers, Even though all the levels are set the same, they will have different volumes.

Another testimony to how well thought out the Kemper is is that the volume pedal and wah position are read even though they are not engaged. I love that! No jumps. If you engage the wah with the pedal cocked back it reads that instantly instead of having to wiggle it to tell it where it is like units I've used in the past. Turn the wah boost on with heel back and it mutes. As soon as you engage pedals they act like standalone analog devices.

Yes, it should do.

Thank you so much, this is perfect! It gives me the option to have the whole performance or just one slot.

I had this all down before but so I don't have to go back through everything in the manual, may I ask you since wah/volume button is global, Does it control both Browser and performance modes or are they separate? That being said, does wah/volume button control all performances (guessing so)?

Either set one performance slot to specifically have no Wah and load a Wah Boost in there instead. This effectively makes the Wah a volume pedal without the need to use Wah>Volume.

Thanks, I never would have thought to go this way. So I gather since I don't need a wah in a slot the wah booster knows to use the wah pedal correct?