Posts by gavinashun

wOT , a kind of DLC ??? that's pretty strange , especially for the ones already owing the big brothers.

the player has already a few connectivity limitations , no profiling ability, and only a few fx slots ... etc, why take the DLC road ???

In economics this is called "price discrimination."

Basically imagine you have 100 potential customers for this product.

One group of 50 (we'll call them Group A) will only pay $700 for it; and if it is only $700, they are ok with a more limited set of features.

Another group of 25 people (Group B) will buy it for $700 with more limited features, but *would* pay $1000 for it with expanded features.

Another group of 25 people (Group C) will only buy it with expanded features, and they would pay $1000 for that.

If you sell it with limited features for $700, Group A will buy and group B will buy, and you will make $52,500 (75*700)

If you sell it with expanded features for $700, all 100 will buy, and you will make $70,000 (100*700)

If you sell it with expanded features for $1000, only Group B and C will buy, and you will make $50,000 (50*1000)

But what if there was a way to sell it with limited features for $700 and expanded features for $1000?

Now all 100 will buy and you make $85,000 (Group A: 50*700, Group B & C: 50*1000).

DLC allowed for price discrimination which maximizes your revenue in many cases. Companies love price discrimination but in many cases it is either impossible or illegal (i.e. a company could maximize their revenue if they charged a rich person $50 for a box of cereal but a poor person $5, but you can't do that both logistically or legally). But in situations where they can do it, they often will do it.

Anyone know a nice pedalboard DI? I'm thinking of the use-case of Player TS Out --> effects you want after amp --> DI box --> XLR to PA.

Most of the DI boxes I'm aware of are also like speaker sim's and stuff like that, which isn't needed with something like the Player.

Any good pedalboard friendly DI box recommendations for using with Player?

Just to confirm, are we interpreting this:

"Thus we consider since quit a while to offer one or two software upgrade (with costs), that will boost the Players features towards the Head, Rack and Stage."

To mean that it is possible/likely that they will offer a paid upgrade for the Player to have more features of the Head/Rack/Stage? Like for example more effects?

That was how I read it but wanted to confirm.

Let's focus on how to turn effect modules on/off via foot buttons at the Player.

Thanks, this is super helpful. Yeah sounds like MIDI CC# 75-78 is going to give by far the most control. And a lot of people use MIDI controllers these days so that should work for a lot of people. And other people might just really be thinking about it as an amp + direct solution. Both great use cases.

The one thing I'll have to bone up on is using USB for midi, as I don't have any experience with that. Hoping and expecting that a regular 5-pin to USB cable will work similar to how other midi devices work.

Yes, some people will want to use the Player purely as their amp, and using pedalboard for all effects.

Other people will want to use the Player to replace many of their effects, because Kemper effects sound very good overall. And this also saves pedalboard space, which is often at a premium.

Different people will want to use it in different ways.

Spdif is your friend just make sure you know where all the digital clock settings are in your Kemper and your interface. I used the 6i6 and it worked well. Also, make sure you get spdif capable cables.

Cool thanks. Yeah I feel like I've seen several people over the years say S/PDIF if best. And yeah, I do recall the whole clock setting thing. That is a little daunting to me but I know I can search and find several threads on that, so hopefully I'll be able to figure it out!

he setup I'm going for is:

Kemper --> Scarlett Focusrite 8i6 gen3 --> powered studio monitors / headphones

PC --------> Scarlett Focusrite -------------> powered studio monitors / headphones

I know I could just go main output into Scarlett front input 1 & 2 (Kemper set line level).

But I believe I can also go S/PDIF?

Any pro's/con's of doing it one way or the other? Or should it all be pretty similar?

-----------------------

Bonus noob question: what is best audio out of my PC to go into the Scarlett? Just the 3.5mm out? USB out? S/PDIF?

Thanks all!

This is just 1 data point from a relatively inexperienced Kemper user. After trying a lot of profiles out, I found 2-3 that I absolutely loved - the sound going through my headphones was exactly what I've been looking for.

I have spent the last couple years trying to get that same sound through speakers, with a good "in the room" sound. I tried the Kabinet. I tried a 1x12 guitar cab.

What got me there was a high quality FRFR (Atomic CLR).

Just my experience: many people love the Kabinet sound. Many people love the 1x12 guitar cab or guitar cab stack sound. No right or wrong answer.

Anyone use this? Seems kind of interesting as one of the only vertical 2x12 FRFR's out there. One of the downsides is 60+ lbs.

Here are the specs:

With a pair of vertically spaced, custom voiced 12” drivers and a 1” LaVoce compression driver, the LFR-212 delivers a detailed, precise and full-range response with no unwanted colouring.

• Active full-range flat response (FRFR) speaker
    • Equipped with 2 x 12" Custom-voiced FRFR drivers & 1" LaVoce compression driver speaker
    • Speaker construction: Closed
    • Power: 800 W
    • Controls: Level, HF Trim
    • Switches: Cabinet emulation FRFR, 1 x 12 & 4 x 12, Light On/Off, Ground Lift & Voltage Selection Switch
    • Connections: Combi XLR/jack input
    • Link Out (6.3 mm jack)
    • AUX In: 3.5 mm Stereo jack
    • XLR DI Out
    • Dimensions (W x H x D): 555 x 360 x 770 mm
    • Weight: 30 kg

Well damn - this is as good as I've gotten my Kemper to sound, outside of headphones.

• Output: -1.5 treble
    • Output: -3.0 presence
    • Output: High Cut 6.5kHz

I played around with lowering Presence less & doing more High Cut or Treble cut, but my ears were preferring the settings above.

This is as close as I've gotten to the sound in my headphones yet - thanks all!

I've got tones I am absolutely in love with through my headphones (BD DT 880). But I've been struggling to replicate that going through speakers. Have tried the Kabinet, have tried cab sim off and going through guitar 1x12. Now trying, and having better luck, through an Atomic CRL FRFR. My main issue has been that the tone through the speakers often has way too much treble, but it is more complex than that: if I turn the output treble/presence down, I lose some of the edge of breakup goodness & sweetness.

But my question is if anyone has any tips for EQ'ing in general - there are so many different options I'm getting a little bit of analysis paralysis:

• The amp EQ module
    • The cabinet module (High Shift, Low Shift, Character, Pure Cabinet)
    • The output section
      • Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence
      • Low Cut, High Cut
      • Pure Cabinet
      • Bass boost

That is a LOT of different place to tweak EQ.

I'm guessing everyone will say to leave the amp EQ and cabinet alone if I'm liking the tone through headphones.

But even in the output section, there are a lot of different choices: should I tweak bass by: Bass, Low Cut, Bass boost? Treble by Treble, Presence, High Cut?

I know the answer is just "flip the knobs until you find something you like." But just wondering if there are any best practices or tips?