Posts by Kaschko

When playing the Kemper through the Kemper Kabinet (and especially when using imprints) is there any reason NOT to set pure cabinet to the maximum?

I mean, putting it on maximum would mean I'd get rid of the microphone part of the profile and get closest to the amp in the room feeling, am I right?

What pure cabinet setting do you guys use the most? Do you turn it off for recording and put it on full for the Kabinet? And how do you handle it when going to FOH while also using the Kabinet as monitor?

thanks!

Hi everyone,

when connecting my powered head with the Kemper Kabinet the last option in the menu is "stereo".

I always had it off (mono) because I assumed it was meant for connecting two different cabinets. But of course that wouldn't even be possible.

So what does stereo actually do? If I'm not mistaken the sound changes and actually sounds a bit better in stereo since my reverb has a stereo setting activated.

I searched the German manual but couldn't find anything about this setting. Thanks!

Verdict:

Okay.... wow....

This has been the greatest update for me yet. I am a huge Fuzz fan and so far it has always been the one thing I missed with my Kemper. I constantly try to acquire vintage fuzzes and even pre-ordered the Boss Tone Bender. But playing with the new Kemper Fuzz solved 100% of my sound wishes.

I'm literally blown away. These are the kind of updates I'd pay good money for - getting them for free feels like Christmas to me.

The Kemper just opened its doors for everything from ZZ Top, Jack White, Queens of the Stone Age and so on.

What a money saver this thing is!

I can only take my hat off and say thanks, ckemper and company!

Possible Improvement:

Would love to see Tone Bender MK II and MK III presets in the future.

I'm also wondering if there shouldn't be a simple "tone knob" since I find some of the fuzzes very bright. I realize I can change that with definition and other parameters but they all are a bit different to a tone setting, aren't they?

Bugs encountered so far:

- Not sure if that was the case before, but when I activate a preset on the Kemper Fuzz it doesn't show which one is activated. On the drop down menu there should be a little symbol to show which preset we're using. When I play around trying different Fuzz presets I often forget which one I'm actually on and there's no indication whatsoever. Would definitely make sound building easier if there was a visual indication.

- As has been reported before I cannot change the stomp box in a locked slot anymore.

Hi everyone,

Is there actually a forum verdict on which Kemper Kone speaker imprint comes closest to Britt's CL80 cab?

Sorry if it's already mentioned in this thread... but it's 158 pages long....

Thanks!

Just having the 'real' thing means nothing. Except you can say "I have the real thing." It can be real....and still not what you're after.

I didn’t say any of this and couldn’t care less about saying I own this or that product. I think I’ve been quite clear in my previous comments that I would like to dig deeper into the circuit of a certain amp instead of playing with snapshots of every amp in the world. That’s totally subjective and nobody has to share my idea of what brings me joy.

There's a better than even chance that won't be *quite* the sound you're chasing in your head.

So what? For me it’s not at all about a final result or perfection. It’s all about enjoying the journey.

As I now mentioned, I will keep the Kemper, buy the amp and just start to create my own profiles. If the results won’t replace the profiles I already have then I at least could feed my own curiosity and learn new things. YMMV

No worries, mate. You have two options: you can just get an external power amp to plug in between the Kemper and the Kabinet. Or you exchange the Kabinet and buy monitor speakers.

In my opinion: The Kab is more the amp in the room feeling. Monitor speakers are better to sound like what you know from records. If you want to play along a record for example, monitor speakers are great and closer to the headphone experience.

P.S: Don’t get the other FRFR. The Kemper Kone in your Kabinet is better and worth a power amp just to use the speaker imprints.

What would you miss?

First of, there can be no doubt that the Kemper has far superior sonic qualities than the Iridium. As you can read in this thread, it’s indistinguishable from the real amp in sound. It easily beats the Iridium.

The controls might mimic the Vox a bit more but there’s no way it mimics the Super Lead better than the Kemper.

A real Super Lead amp, however, has several channels and even allows channel jumping (actually a real AC30 would allow that too). Now imagine how many sounds you can get out of a single plexi, in my case the JTM45? High treble clean, normal clean, high treble crunch, normal channel crunch, several higher gain settings, all settings dimed, both channels jumped, different volume mixes from both channels in the jumped mode.

Just depending on where you plug in your guitar cable you could take dozens of Kemper profiles.

I don’t see the Iridium getting close to any of that or even closer than the Kemper.

The only solution I see is to try out each of these settings with the real amp and see what fits your style, guitar and effects the best. And then you create your own bunch of profiles. Here too the Kemper beats the Iridium which is more limited and less adjustable.

Kaschko Regarding simplicity and to avoid your snapshot dilemma: Maybe take a look at the Strymon Iridium?!

If you want an analog alternative to the Iridium, you should try the Mad Professor Super Black and Loud'n Proud pedals. Both replicate a complete amp signal path and I use them with a neutral power amp into real cabs or with IR for recording.

The Iridium is great but would have rather the opposite effect of what I’m looking for. As I explained, it’s about digging deeper into the possibilities of a certain amp. The Iridium offers in every regard less possibilities than the Kemper.

So if your real goal is to exactly mimic all aspects of a specific amp, that probably doesn't yet exist.

No, it was never about this for me. It's all about the user interfaces that amps come with. The amp builders certainly put much thought into it. Several channels, boosts and so on. Just think of a Mesa Lone Star. If you get a set of two profiles for this amp then you only have 1% of what it's capable of.

To put it simple, the Kemper can capture single sounds almost perfectly but not an entire amp. To me this is definitely a limitation, which doesn't mean the Kemper doesn't have its advantages. If you, however, want to go with one amp only for your sound, the amp is more versatile than having two or three profiles of it. There's no competition even.

The reality is that most people using tube amps have a handful of settings they use and rarely mess with them once they've found them.

This is true, however, they picked these few settings out of dozens of settings possible with the amp. And they matched them perfectly to their guitars. Playing someone else's Kemper profile out of the box can work well - but it's also a bit of luck. And if you haven't played the real amp yourself, you can't even know if there's a setting that would add the extra 10% to your tone. That's why many of us keep clicking through profiles. If you have the real amp in front of you, the qualities and limitations become clear immediately.

In many ways it's apples and oranges, but to me neither option can truly replace the other completely.

I've done a lot of research on all these attenuators now and there's definitely no simple answer. Some of them sound better than others, some offer cab simulation, some have an FX loop. But there's none that does all of this - or even half of what the Kemper does.

The Kemper is still the ultimate recording tool, as it seems. Yet the downside remains that profiles produced by others are always just snapshots of what the real amp could offer. (I think that's also one of the reasons most of you guys still own tube amps as well).

For now I decided to keep my Kemper. Even if I only use a handful of profiles - and would love it if they'd be more flexible - I at least know that they work perfectly. Even more importantly - they're fun.

I think in my particular case it would be best to save up a little longer and get the amp I want, add an attenuator to make it manageable and then create my own Kemper profiles to be able to record with it as well. In this case I could also use said amp as a real cab to go with the Kemper, which is a bonus.

That said, with all my amps (even the very complex Marshall JVM 410HJS) I have found there is only a certain amount of settings that I tend to use, and therefore I can profile them and I'm done.

I think you nailed the psychological dilemma here: Had I played around with the real amp for a few weeks I would probably also have settled on a few settings. But not having done that and using other people's profiles I am constantly wondering what I am missing. I do know they used other guitars and have most likely a different taste, too. Going straight for the Kemper - without all that previous experience - means to skip this important educational step and therefore always wondering what sounds one is missing. That's why I pointed out I think the Kemper is mainly meant for more professional musicians who know their amps in and out or who can even profile them themselves.

I get you, in the end both solutions will be approximations.

Bear in mind though, with the Kemper you're not limited to the Kone in any way. Nothing stops you from plugging into a real 4x12 or 3x10 if you're after full authenticity.

That's a valid point. I would probably already have tried that if any of my favorite profiles came as direct profiles. But I remember from some of your other posts that you use a real cabinet with your studio profiles all the time, am I right?

As for the Kone/4x12/3x10 analogy: You won't get the same feel with the ox (or any other attenuation solution) either.

No but you get the sound of the real combo as intended compared to the Kone approximating it. Say I‘d compare an attenuated Marshall Bluesbreaker with it‘s 2x12 Celestions and open back vs the profile of a Bluesbreaker played through the Kemper Kabinet.

I have not tried those but seen reviews that lead me to believe I would be in the same predicament. I've invested so much in the Kemper system now that any other amp-type gear would be a waste to try.

I see. But then there‘s also this video where Johan Segeborn gets really good results at 70db: Is bedroom level volume good enough?

Totally get your point about having invested in the Kemper system.