Posts by floyd99

This is where Kemper really lets itself down and things like Helix are 100 times better. Kemper have put little thought into people using it live and for multiple things… how great would it be if you could have a basic thing like a folder structure for rigs and performances on the unit itself. And be able to edit the order quickly and easily on the unit.

You could do what you’re saying by copying off a USB stick, but only for Rigs - not Performances (another huge flaw).

If helpful, in Windows 10 you can copy a performance then paste it to your desktop or to a PC folder as a .kPerformance file. For some reason you can't just drag them, but copy/paste works.

That’s not what I’m after.

I want to be able to quickly back up my performances at the gig after making tweaks.

I don’t carry a laptop.

Thanks very much. I was very nervous about how it would sound but it turned out amazing. It really sounded epic in my headphones and I got a LOT of compliments from the other muso’s and the audio designer loved it. Because I programmed every single sound change as it’s own performance slot, I took care of all my levels between every sound and solo boosts etc.

I had the laptop set up next to me during the few dress rehearsals and made slight tweaks to levels as we went through so once the show was running it was identical every night - which the audio team love because they don’t actively mix the band much during the show, it’s all programmed and automated so they appreciate consistency.

My biggest struggle was working out what amp profiles to use. I am not familiar with dirty amps whatsoever - never owned a marshal in my life for example.. I’ve always used super clean amp and put dirt pedals in front. So choosing profiles was VERY overwhelming and a bit stressful to be honest ?

Finally got around to editing some video of my first show with Kemper earlier this year.

I spent a lot of time working on sounds - learning the Kemper leading up to it.

Super pleased with the results!

here’s one sample.. there’s a few more in the playlist too.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You would need to morph the volume or put a boost pedal in Block X and link the On/Off status to the same switch as the Wah

ah ok yep can’t do that.

Firstly coz I don’t have a spare block to stick a boost- particularly after amp, as I need those for eq, stereo widener and stereo effects and reverb which are on every patch.. only 4 post slots really kills me! But I also don’t have a switch for wah - I have it set to auto turn on or off based on movement, no foot switch.

Morph is no good either - good idea, but I have enough buttons to be pressing and other stuff going on with logistics (page turns, guitar swaps, patch changes etc) to worry about adding in another button press just for wah ?

I will do some more experiments on the weekend

Does it distort with gain at minimum on the AC20?

With a narrow peak, the wah engaged may sound weaker but the strong peaks will still distort the amp input.

haven’t actually tried with gain at zero. It’s pretty low - about 1.8. I’ll have to try at zero just to see

Hi folks, i'm struggling to get a decent clean disco Wah sound when the Wah is placed in stomp block before amp.

With the Wah block's volume parameter at 0, there's a noticeable volume drop when the Wah is engaged. But if i wind the volume up by the necessary amount - say +2db - it adds gain given it's now driving the front of the amp and that sounds crap.

If i place the Wah after the amp, with the volume +2db, it works well. But this takes up a really valuable post block i'd prefer not to be using.

I'm using the Morgan AC20 amp, with the gain set low.

Do others have the same or am I doing something wrong? For patches requiring Wah should I switch to a higher head-room clean amp that won't distort with the Wah in front?

cheers

I've just been playing with the Ipad app a bit.

This is going to be extremely handy.. i've really struggled making tweaks to sounds once i'm at the venue because bending down, in a cramped orchestra pit, with a guitar in your lap is a real pain.. headstock hitting things..!! I'll be able to rig the iPad up directly under my music stand and have it right there thanks to some funky K&M mounts.. VERY handy.

I've already mentioned previously, would really love a "Live" display mode for the app - that displays the current Performance and active Rig clearly highlighted in nice big graphics/text.. that would make my day and i'd have the iPad mounted there even during the show season after there's no more tweaking required.. just so i can easily see what patch i'm on without looking down.

Something i've noticed.. when pressing the "Store Performance" button, there isn't really any feedback. So you're not sure you've pressed it and therefore not 100% sure it's actually saved. Some basic sort of feedback on the press would be good, so you know it's actually done it.

This quirk drove me nuts too.. thought I was going crazy. Until I read on the forums it was an intended function that when Rig manager is connected it keeps the changes between slots

I like the concept, but having the different behaviour whether RM is connected or not is definitely confusing - you have to remember this is what happens so you’re aware.

FYI I also only recently learned that the same behaviour occurs if you change rigs using the PAGE BUTTONS on the Stage instead of the actual Rig stomp switches.

Why don't you guys like to use the built-in tuner? I can understand why not for setting intonation but for everyday tuning the kemper one seems fine to me.

for me a couple reasons ..

First it’s just not a nice tuner. Works fine, just not pleasant to look at or use.

Second I love the polytune mini.

Third I like to have tuner visible ALL the time and be able to tune when my volume is at zero.

Yes, the Kemper has the option for auto switching the tuner at zero - but that means it does it every single time my volume is at zero. For me that’s a real pain.. I put my volume to zero in rest breaks in the middle of songs and in between songs. So when I look down to make sure I’m in the right performance, the screen would be the tuner and not the normal screen. Big issue. So that leaves having to use the tuner foot switch and I just don’t like doing that.

Yes I do this too. I hate the built in tuner.

I have a little polytune mini gaff taped on top of the stage.

Use the Send output (I think it’s send 1) and in the output menu there is an option to route the analog guitar to this output.

Works a treat. - I have tuner available to me full time and it’s not in the audio path.

Sorry Delinquent not sure what you mean or that you understood what I meant.

Performance mode (not browse mode)

nice big “performance” view. Not an editor view. A basic view that shows absolutely nothing other than the current performance # and name, and the 5 slot names and which is active in a big bold colour.

be great to have a performance view on the iPad app.

Nice big screen displaying current performance name and the active slot number & name.. and nothing else. No amp/rig names, etc.. just that.

Then I could have iPad mounted next to my music stand and be able to have this info directly in my field of view without needing to look down - especially given the screen on the Stage isn’t huge.

Pretty simple I should think but would be super helpful.

Providing of course there is no bugs / risks in having iPad app always connected during live performance… like there is with Rig Manager.

I’d really love the ability to quickly save a performance.

Pressing “store” 3 times and waiting for the acknowledgment message to disappear from screen is a pain - it takes too long.

Use case;

I’m at rehearsal, finish the song, and VERY quickly need to make an on the fly adjustment - usually to Rig Volume - because I want to tweak the volume of the rigs for that track. Potentially for multiple rigs in the same performance.

Because you lose changes when switching between rigs when Rig Manager isn’t connected, that means I have to adjust each rig individually and press Store 3 times for each one.
    Try and do that when the rehearsal has continued on and we’re already into the next track. This happens often - I’m doing theatre shows.. the music keeps going regardless if I’m ready or not. So I’m frantically trying to make those quick adjustments, save, and keep an eye on my chart so I know where I’m at.

So how about a special way to fast store? Press and hold another button while then pressing store - to immediately store the current performance in its current position. (Would have to be another button nearby.. close enough to do both presses with the same hand- that’s a must. Requiring two hands would be awful, I’ll easily drop a guitar!! )

this would really help me out..

Oh yes.. stereo. I think you’re right. What I suggested should work for mono but stereo not so sure!!

slateboy lots of people keep saying “just use the same outputs for everything”.. but I’m with Lemaitre - this doesn’t suit. In my situation the shows I do, for both FOH and aviom monitoring purposes where we each have our own personal digital mixer next to us, the sound designer (and me) wants electric and acoustic on totally separate channels.