Posts by kyo gt

For those LA sessions. It was at Joni Mitchell’s private studio in her house in Bel Air.

For the stuff we had already recorded in the UK it was SSL but we actually bypassed the SSL preamps and Mike Shipley had bought a few Focusrite ISA110 modules that we tracked the guitars through.

Joni’s studio had a Trident desk in it but I am 100% sure we would have still inserted the Focusrite ISA110 preamps to keep consistency with what we had done in the UK.

To be honest, a 57 through your Midas shouldn’t sound too different than a Focusrite ISA preamp. I have an ISA828 8 channel pre and an ISA 220 in my studio. The ISA are actually quite transparent preamps.
    Will definitely get round to trying your cab profiles within the next few days. So glad they showed up. I always regretted not picking up a couple of those Pacific Woodwork cabs back then. They were impossible to track down in the UK by the time I bothered to look for them.

Once again. Thank you for posting.

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed explanation on the 1988 recording session! I always love to learn what type of equipment was used in the studio.

I guess it's "Out of the Silence" session that you're talking about. Embarrassed to say I didn't know that album until now, just checked it out and really loved it. The guitar tone is exactly what was in my mind when I decided to get Pacific and to shoot IRs from it.

Hope you like my cabs and looking forward to your feedback as well!

I used a couple of these Pacific Woodwork cabs that we hired from Andy Brauer in 1988 along with some Bradshaw systems. They recorded really well. Thanks for posting. Will give them a try.

Very honored to hear you have downloaded my cabs. I guess back in 1988 you recorded with some top studio quality equipment (like SSL, Neve...), so to be honest I'm not sure if my cabs provide what you got at that time.

I'd be very grateful if you could share ideas on tweaking to fill in the gap between your memory/experience. Thank you.

Attached is a zip file that contains kipr files of my take of impulse response captured from a Pacific Woodworks 1x12 with EVM12L made in 90's.

As far as I researched I've never seen any IRs of that cab, so I hope it helps if you wanna go for 90's LA tone like Michael Landau. I guess it works well with the profiles of rack preamps like CAE3+SE.

In the zip file, you will see 4 kipr files shooted from different mic positions.

The mic positions are indicated by the end number of the file name that corresponds to the red dots in the picture below.

All the IRs were captured using SM57 for microphone, Midas XL48 for microphone preamp and RME Fireface UFX.

Hope you like it!

8)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Oops, I forgot to add in the note "For maximum authenticity, play with a sixpence"!

Attached is a zip file containing my original rigs with the profiles of:

- a AC30 modded to Brian May spec, and

- a VBM-1, VOX's take of Brian May's renowned recording amp, "Deacy Amp".

You can hear me playing with those rigs here:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you liked it, feel free to download the rigs and enjoy! Please make sure to read the following instruction before you start.

I've also included in the zip a txt file that has a detailed explanation, so check it out if necessary.

<<General>>

- This rigs are designed for use with "Red Special" type guitar equipped with Burns Tri-Sonic pickups.

- While I've added a treble booster simulation in the rigs, I recommend a real treble booster be connected between your guitar and Kemper for more tonal authenticity.

<<Connection>>

Some of the rigs adopts "Wet/Dry/Wet" configuration, as Brian May himself does.

If you use the following rigs, please connect both "MAIN" outputs(Wet signal) and "SEND" output(Dry output), and hard-pan "MAIN" outputs on your mixer.

If you just want the output from the Stack section, connect "SEND" output or connect normally and turn of the "MOD" section.

- AC30 BMS:Cho(Kyo Gt)

- AC30 BMS:PitMaj(Kyo Gt)

- AC30 BMS:Dly(Kyo Gt)

- AC30 BMS:PitMin(Kyo Gt)

<<Clean/Distortion Sens adjustment>>

If you play a guitar equipped with Burns Tri-Sonic pickups, set Clean/Distortion Sens to -3.00db. This works when you use a real treble booster.

<<Photos of the profiled amplifiers>>

AC30 Brian May Special for "AC30 BMS" rigs

VOX VBM-1 for "White Deacy (Kyo Gt)"