Posts by KellyMidiMurphy

Ron - ST is someone who you need to listen to.
    He also offered me some excellent advice on one of my posts.
    I am a noob like you and have been going through these forums to figure out how to make the KPA replace the Boogie amps I’ve LOVED for 40 years.

I was just minutes away from considering the Quad Cortex from Neural, but the information and maturity of these forums convinced me that the KPA is the way to go.

Rock on Ron!

And.....

Rock on ST

For what it’s worth, the Stage did not suit me.

Two reasons:

1. I did not want the bunch of cords running from the Stage back to my rack on the back line. I picked the unpowered rack KPA with a Powerstage 700 to power my stereo Kabinets. Also in the rack is my Furman and TC Electronics stereo effect unit.

I have not yet decided to get the Kemper Remote or continue to use my Ground Control Pro. But whatever I choose, there will be just one cord coming from under my vocal mic running to my rack.

2. I did not want to squat down to turn knobs and press buttons on the Stage for minor tweaks between or during songs. I wanted my rack mounted KPA at eye level. Eventually I will get my KPA tuned in, but until then I will be touching knobs a lot.

Wishing you the best and welcome to the group.

Why would you turn off the cabinet? Your stage monitors are full-range. So, you leave the guitar cabinet simulation on. I wouldn't share MAIN OUTPUT XLRS for FOH and TS for stage monitoring. If you really need the G-System blocking the DIRECT OUT and want to run your monitoring in stereo, then drive the stage monitors from the HEADPHONE OUT.

I will use a couple of Kabinets and looking forward to experiment with the speaker IMPRINTS.

I read somewhere that to use the speaker IMPRINTS, you need to turn off the cab. I think some cabinets may sound better than an imprint and some not. Right?

But, I could run the Kabinet FRFR and then use the cab from the rig. Right?

By the way....... Not being able to use the G Major2 is not a deal breaker at this time. I have a certain comfort level with a handful of effects due to years of use. But, if the KPA can not meet or beat my handful, I will go with the headphone out to get the stereo.

If need the DIRECT OUT/SEND in its capacity as effect loop send, you cannot use the MONITOR OUTPUT in stereo, but just mono instead.

But you still have the MAIN OUTPUT or SPDIF OUT or even the HEADPHONE OUT to drive your stage monitors in stereo.

Thank you Burkhard!

I want to send the full profile rig (with cab on) to FOH. If I used the MAIN OUT XLRs for FOH, can I use the quarter inch MAIN OUTS to drive my stereo monitors with the cab off? Or is there another option using the main outs (both XLR and quarter inch) for both FOH and stage monitors and retain "cab on" for FOH and "cab off" for monitors?

Also, I assume that if I use the HEADPHONE OUT, I will have to use a stereo quarter inch to go into the KPA and then use a Y adaptor to go to the left and right sides of my external amp driving my monitors. Right?

ST

Thank you ST.

The back panel you show above is the Stage while I have the unpowered rack. The stage has greatly improved stereo capability. But, I did not choose the stage model because of the mess of cords coming back to my rack that has my amp, effects, power-conditioner, etc. Also, if I need to make any changes to the KPA during a live set or in the middle of a song, it is very inconvenient to squat down and twist knobs.

So back to my original question:

On my unpowered rack, I can run stereo monitors by using the MONITOR OUT and the Direct Output. So, this is good.

But when I want to attach my external stereo effect rack, it appears that I have two returns available(the RETURN INPUT AND THE ALTERNATIVE INPUT). This is good.

But what would I use as a "send" to my rack?

I have attached a pic of the back panel.....

The manual says that if I select monitor stereo, I can use the monitor output PLUS the direct output, to send it to my external stereo poweramp and utilize the KPA stereo effects fully panned to right or left.

Make sense?

But in another post I read that this method will stop me from using my stereo Gmajor2 in the KPA effects loop.

Does that make sense?

Powerstage 700 pros and cons:

Pro:

• Uses IcePower - Flat response made for modelers and profilers - Good enough for CK to use, good enough for me
    • Stereo - I need and want stereo!!!
    • 700 watts per side at 4 ohm - More power than I would ever need.
    • Has cab simulation, but I would not need because Kabinets have it's own speaker imprints and cab sims.
    • Three stage EQ knobs on the front:
      TREBLE CONTROL: +/- 13 dB @6.61 kHz
      MID CONTROL: +/- 13 dB @712 Hz
      BASS CONTROL: +/- 13 dB @87 Hz
    • Rumble cut gets rid of low end if needed
    • Approximately 6 pounds - Big improvement over my Boogie Quad Preamp and 50/50 amp.

Cons

• Not rack mount, but can add rack ears to fit into my rack
    • Inputs are at the front - Kind of awkward for a rack mount. but can use 90 degree quarter inch jacks and run them to over the unit to get to my Kemper.
    • On / off switch is on the back. Kind of awkward for a rack mount, but maybe my Furman can sequence on / off to turn on last and turn off first - not sure.
    • Size is 2.5 u. So, I need 3 U space in my rack to install and allow for cooling.
    • Kinda expensive - around $700 (US)

Did I miss anything?

Could I go wrong with choosing Powerstage 700 to run a stereo setup out of my unpowered Kemper into two Kabinets?

I just got done reading all 85 pages of this Kone and Kabinet Q&A.

Wow, I’ve learned a lot! I especially like that CK offered his expertise.

The Kemper forums are EXCELLENT!

Here is what I decided:

I’m going with the unpowered rack profiler. And since I want to run stereo, I’m going with two Kabinets and two SD Powerstages since they use IcePower. My other contender for external amps is the Matrix GT800FX

Make sense?

However, with that setup, will that prevent me from running an external stereo loop to my TC Electronics G Major2, Is that correct?

I thought that running stereo out to two speakers would take away the stereo effects loop was mentioned somewhere in these 85 pages.

A profile done correctly will at least match and often outperform your amp. Top ears of world class famous guitar producers cannot tell the difference between the Kemper and their very own amp they have heard a thousand times.. Many times they will pick the Kemper and say "That's my amp because it sounds the best" and then are shocked to see it was the Kemper. When the Kemper was designed it was made so if the profile does not sound exactly like your amp miced, it's not the fault of the Kemper, but your profiling technique because it CAN profile it so well you would not be able to tell the difference. Of course you can rely on others with great mics, techniques and preamps to do it for you. So if done properly, the only thing you will miss about your rig is back pain. I know this is user preference and my opinion but I had a quad and a 50/50 for a couple years and I guarantee I can do way more and have tons more equivalent and better tones with a powered toaster.

Just a question, If you play live, why would you want a stereo rig? Don't you want people on both sides of the room to hear the same thing?

Thanks Dynochrome for your input!

I like stereo to just make it fun for me on stage. It does not go to house.

I like a big wide stereo chorus and occasionally ping pong my delays. My speaker separation is maybe 10 feet at the most and both aimed at me. I have also played with a wet/dry/wet setup too. My favorite affect is using a stereo rotary speaker that gets kinda close to a leslie sound.

Wishing you the best!

p.s.

I’ve been doing deep research on the Kemper for the past 6 months.
    I know who does the best (and worst) profiles and some of the problems with using something other than a FRFR cabinet for stage monitoring.
    But I have not heard much input from successful cover band lead players who used Boogies or Marshalls and moved to Kemper without IEMs with no regrets.
    I need a big stage sound like I have now with my Boogie rig.

Here is my concern before I go buy my first Kemper.

I’ve playing Boogies for 45 years but my present rig of a Quad with a 50/50, ground control pro with the GCX, TC Electronics effects, and a Furman, in a shock absorber rack weighs in at least 300 -400 pounds.
    My main guitar is a Les Paul.

Plus I have 2 Boogie extension cabinets I run in stereo.

The rig sounds perfect but a pain in the ass to haul around.

The Kemper seems like a great way to reduce my load in/load out and still deliver pro sounds.

But if I can’t get my Boogie tones, and some of the high end profiles available with the Kemper, I’m not dumping my Boogie. I have not used distortion / overdrive pedals for 45 years....all my overdrive sounds come from the Boogie. I use a clean sound a lot, but soaring and sustaining lead riffs is my sweet spot. There is no way that I will settle for a Kemper if it sounds like digital distortion.

By the way, my present gig is smaller gigs with smaller PAs, so going through the fronts is not an option. I will send a little to FOH, but I need sound pressure behind me.

So, my Kemper will be behind me and must fill the stage.

I plan on using an amp to drive a FRFR (maybe 2 for stereo).

So, if I go to Kemper, will I miss my Boogie?