Posts by ronsws6

I've a couple of different scenarios with the same results: Stereo headphones, 1 side out to my power kabinet and the other side out to my tech 21 PE60, XLR outs to a stereo PA amp.I completely unplugged my EP1 incase the TRS cable was the issue.
    Per Kemper support, I cleared the cache and global settings and it may be in my head, but seems better on regular profiles but ANYTHING using stereo widener, micropitch, double tracker it still VERY noticable to the point of being unusable.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Ron

I've had my Kemper stage a month but have not spent much time with it. Today I have worked with it all day and I seem to notice what seems like a volume phasing effect happen. First I noticed it on anything using the detune function or stereo widening. I just thought "Well that's a shame, my old processor handled this much better and had a solid original and a solid detuned stereo signal." Then I noticed it on other profiles with stereo widening etc. Now I hear it on every profile with significant gain. Its most apparent on detuned profiles to sound like the 90s EVH OU812 sounds.

This may be user error but it seems consistent regardless of what high gain profile I use. Just a straight marshall sound with reverb and there is the volume peak and trough.

It's as if the volume decreases by a few decibels and then comes back this seems to be on a sign wave type pattern but especially on the attack of notes almost as if a compressor is triggering and cutting my volume even though no compressor is set up on the profile.

I also realize that it may be ear fatigue, but I really need to find out because my window to return it ends in two days.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wow this is all great info. Thanks again.

ST - I have the original L1 with the horse shoe shaped base. I never thought about plugging the Kemper into it. This is the perfect way to dial in my sounds and I can A/B it against the PE60 to dial that in as well. Great Idea! I have pretty much only used it for acoustic solo/duo gigs. Do you run the kemper through the T1 or direct in? I'll try both.

Kelly - Thanks for the info. All of this helps. The UI on the neural looks amazing and easier to use, I worry about a touch screen on the floor though, and by this point, there is so much kemper support I personally feel that Kemper is right for me.

V8 - Great perspective. I will absorb all of this before making my decision. I am gonna try to wait until March to make my final decision. (Work Bonus).

ST this too is great information. I appreciate all of it to digest before I make a decision. This information is why I came here first! Thank so much.

Some aspects of the stage are more appealing, some aspects of the rack are more appealing. I have thought about getting the the stage and setting it up on a keyboard stand and making my adjustments and switching by hand until I had it dialed in and from then on just global eq changes during sound check on the floor from then on.

I too have a Bose L1, but only use that for acoustic gigs. The 4 channel mixer (I forget what its called) was a game changer, it is so damn easy.

This forum has been a great experience so far.

On a side note, I have a custom pedalboard/case I made that contains a base for my mic stand to slide into and has a incline ramp built into it so that my second row is always higher than my first. I've used this with my HD500 and with my voicelive 2 that I used for solo acoustic stuff. For both of those I did use the keyboard stand idea I mentioned above until I dialed them in and then in the pedalboard case they went.

This has also crossed my mind. The idea of the audience watching me on my knees adjusting things is not my idea of fun. This is why if I use the stage I need for my monitoring system to mimic what the audience hears so I can make most of my adjustments at home. This worked well for my Johnson Millenium because I rarely ever had to do more than adjust the global eq to suit my venue.. If I got the rack I would definitely have to get the floor controller because I 'm getting older and am tired of setting up midi controllers.

It would be nice if the stage was bluetooth and I could make small tweaks on my phone.

Thanks for the wealth of information!

Ron

Hi Guys.

Before I get into the questions, I will list some background so you can get an idea where I'm coming from.

I've been a gigging amateur sometimes professional musician for nearly 30 years. I've played for audiences from 5 to 50,000 (When opening for headliners).

For the first 15 years I was a starving musician and had terrible but dependable cheap gear. I have literally played arenas with just a Peavey Bandit and a Boss chorus.

I was never a tube snob or a "vintage is always better" guy.

As I have gotten older and music became a hobby, I played 4-5 local shows a month. I've also been afforded better gear, but I also am a realist and have not seen the value in lugging in a ton of gear into a bar only to have to carry it out at the end of the night after I'm exhausted and half drunk. I've had a Bogner and a Boogie dual rec and wow those things are awesome but a bear to move and maintain. I also love a tele through a tweed, but limiting musically and still heavy and somewhat less bulky. I want it all.

What I am about to say may cause controversy, but I'm a grown man and can handle the flames. But I sold a dual rec and a pedalboard full of various effects and 4x12 to scale down to a Johnson Millenium JM150 Digital amplifier 2x12 (If anyone remembers those) and was in love. It was easy to program and sounded great. With my eyes closed, my rec models sounded very much like my real Boogie, but it breathed differently. I even bought a used spare as a backup. The first died a terrible death in a vehicle accident and the other died in the middle of a gig but luckily the preamp out still worked long enough to finish. I had difficulty getting the Johnson repaired seeing as how they went out business 15 years ago.

So I quickly purchased a Line 6 HD500 and a Tech 21 Powerengine 60 to get me through the rest of my gigs that year and then kind of retired from playing.

However I hate the sounds from the HD500. It sounds OK. but where the Johnson sounded like a princeton, a JCM 800, AC etc. The HD unit sounds just OK. The PE60 amp though has impressed me.

I'm getting the itch, and once Covid is over I think I'm gonna start gigging again.

If I start gigging again, its not for the money, its strictly for enjoyment. I want my rig to sound AMAZING through the mains, while satisfying to me on stage without lugging around a ton of gear. I need it to be flexible and be able to play a wide range of music and be configurable for nights when everything goes wrong. I also want to plug it in at home and get a grin on my face cranking either in the PE 60 or an old Marshall 2x12 cab I still have.

I have seen enough believers to feel that the Kemper is the way to go. but which one?

I LOVE the idea of the Stage running into my PE60, but I've heard that the PE 60 colors the sound. I'm willing to switch out the speaker to the kemper kone if that fits the bill.

A very big concern with that setup is that I need to know my presets are near to perfect before my gigs. I can't be doing a lot of tweaking on stage so I need an accurate representation of the sounds my audiences will hear.

If I got a small FRFR PA speaker to go with it, does it give that personal satisfaction when cranking it up at home?

Is the powered Kemper more fitting? Can it sound good through my big Marshall cab? This seems less advantageous as far as small gear footprint for live.

I don't have unlimited money and can't afford to buy three different combinations for home vs live.

Apologies for the long winded list of questions, experience has taught me to learn from others and not just make blind purchases.

TIA