Posts by youDidntTellMeOneCannotReuseEmailOrName

Uhm do I need to use interface at all? From the posts above what I get it is possible to use simple input, but is interface needed (DI BOx is not needed, right)
    Can I just run the signal directly from my pc to the input on the back?(Doesnt it have different impedance than the input in the front already?)
    I tested Focusrite Scarlett and Steinberg UR44- both sounded a little bit different with my monitors, but not really better than the output from my PC. I even have SPDIF output on the motherboard, so not sure if there is any advantage, maybe I am missing something.

I am waiting for powered version of quad, but I feel like it might not come soon, as separate power amp is already proposed in FAQ.
    I agree there are some areas in which Kemper might improve:
    Tone

• for some amps it is hard to capture both sparkle and proper bottom end - thick, fat and clear. Elmwood Modena, 5150 - not that good. Super bass heavy with clarity - Splawn Nitro - really good. No idea why.
    • at least for me refining brings more clarity and natural response, especially if you play on low volume, in my case it shifts tone towards midrange, but might lack clear fast bass. Once you decide to use refining, that's bit of lost battle, because the result depends on you, which means, success is not guaranteed ;) I used to do small changes to setting and do a few profiles, these days I refine same setting in a different way to achieve the result.
      This has some good sides and bad sides:
      - you can fine tune the profile once you figure out how refining affects the output
      - you can make bad profiles ;)
      I actually think that except bass spectrum, the feel is better profiled than the tone, maybe I am crazy :)
    • lots of profiles I made had definition at 10. This raises a question, was there some limitation during profiling, as one of 'blocks' is maxed out. I believe this was mentioned already. I never used any drive and I profile for amp in the room settings, I just like it tight, sharp and heavy, whats wrong about it.
    • I think the lack of immediate attack and sparkle was also mentioned by some youtubers a lot time ago(for example Paul Davids -sparkle), so I find it surprising that some people find it surprising ;)
      Once I've heard Rabea comparison I really wanted to buy the new thing.
      I did not, because:
      - it has no power amp. I don't like the hassle, and I want to have the whole ecosystem to recreate sound properly, instead of buying 20 power amps to figure out which one sounds good with which profile.
      - probably lack direct profiling, for amateurs like me who like amp-in-the-room sound. I use Kemper DI and I definitely prefer direct profiles over the mic ones
      - the profiled amps were not bass or low-end heavy, I'd like to hear this with amp like 5150, Diezel Herbert. What if this one is just...middy.
    • Maybe refining could be more customizable, it seems like it has quite short memory, which I kind of get, as it could be affected by random outliers or lets say local minima, so I wonder if it could use all the input you provide if you insist. Profile made by playing chord at 1st fret might sound quite different from 7th fret, yet both cases should provide an info and lead to most accurate profile.
    • All of this begins with a question how transparent the capture is, there were some comparisons posted here years ago (bass area, top end).
    • On the other hand:
      The process will never be perfect. Even using additional cable changes the sound (in direct profiling), and with some amps it is harder to get proper tone that way. Maybe selling some profiling set, bundle with some really transparent cables would make sense, though transparent does not mean better in many cases ;)

UI

Twekability

• I've heard this a lot, especially when people compared Kemper to Axe - that the controls in some other units work in more natural way. Personally I just take a lot of snapshots, not a big deal, though it could be better probably. It would require some kind of advanced mode, where user provides info about profiled amp, like secondary custom set of controls. From this info system can kind of simulate the behaviour and estimate or morph the profiles for other settings. Definitely can be done with neural networks, but might be harder than it sounds, even these days in some areas there is a lot data processing going on before it hits the actual network or some dedicated layer designs are used for certain blocks. to make it more controlled.