Posts by JoshuaL1

The OP said that profiles generically had too much high and low EQ. I have also read about EQing profiles at volume.

I am curious if people here have had issue with EQing at volume. When a speaker is getting pushed to its limit the highs and lows will fall away. Probably due to the non linear region of the magnetic fields at the ends of travel. Where a professional PA will be designed to be handle the power and stay linear throughout that power curve.

So I wonder if it is better to EQ at a much lower volume where things sound best and trust that the PA used will be flat and linear?

there’s Two things for eqing

eq at volume to avoid too much bass or treble

And eq in the context of the band.

At high volumes and guitar alone you would certainly think « naaa too much high end » but in a band context you need those.

I suggest everyone to hear isolated tracks of Van Halen. I’m sure if you had those tones in your kemper, a lot of guitar player would say « how can I tame the fizz????!!! » works also for AC/DC tones ^^.

It’s very complicated with those unit like kemper or fractal or whatever.

Before you just had to be a guitar player with an amp, now you also need to be a sound engineer lol.

A combination with global effect buttons could be interesting. I would like to globally assign effects to a certain button (delay, pitch, phaser, tremolo). If additional fx are in a rig they shall be ignored then. And with a second tag one could decide if the fx remain on globally or just switch effects on a rig level. That could be switched via tuner or looper button.

yep.

I want those 4 buttons on the stage to act like « effects scenes ».

Or at least be able to control the same effect with more than one switch.

And the ability to switch on/off when morphing. The option to have a morphing scene with effects already loaded in the rig.

Really more user friendly.

And when you give a profile a fair chance you might discover you actually like it and your first impression that it sucked was wrong. And what sounds best in solo will most of the time not work in a band/mix contest. I have profiles i like solo but know they won't work in any mix and use other profiles for that.

yep!

Those lovely fat,beefy full of everything profiles that we love at home turn into mud live lol.

Some profiles are Really good for the studio but horrible live. I think about topjimi for example. His AC/DC’s pack is excellent for recording but it is so thin it really does not translate well in live situation.

Which profiles did you use?

Another tip. Use a wireless transmitter and on each soundcheck and check and see what the sound guy is doing of your tone and speak with him. Be nice and approach the guy with things like « hey what do you think about the sound? Not sure if it yet, curious to know what adjustments you’ve done ».
    that human part on gigs is really important

I’m also having hard times finding some good profiles for live sound after a year of use. It’s really not that easy to be a guitar player and also a sound engineer.

Hi.

Is it possible to have a simple input gain next to clean sens and dist sense?

Those 2 are great but a simple input gain will be very effective and an easy way to free one slot instead of having a pure boost.

I tried 4cm before. Not with the kemper but every time it was a mess to setup.

Hiss, noise… a nightmare lol.

You also have to know exactly how your amp effect loop is designed.

Setting the level takes a lot of time and you must tweak very lightly each time.

I was tired of that and decided to buy a kemper stage to go straight foh

Welcome to the kemper rabbit hole 😂.

Just narrow your search by amps, cabs, name.

If you like a profiler, search his name. Etc etc

Sometimes I just order them by date and randomly scroll and click ^^.

If my post sounded antagonistic to you in some way, that was not my intent.

I see what you’re talking about.

It’s another example of the idea that it can’t be all things to all people. A Helix or AxeFX can do what you want…with their own inherent trade offs..

no everything’s cool 👍.

Yes it’s all wishes and dreams lol.

Long story short, I bought the kemper in a hurry, because I had to have a unit for work and the waiting list for a fractal was not possible.

I have my kemper since last April and honestly at first coming from the tube world I hated it lol.
    i had to re-educate my ears to a miced amp tone and have to go through the profiles rabbit hole. Find a guy that profiles amps you like with the same « ears » as yours.
    But since December, I’m really enjoying and loving playing with it, dynamics are awesome, tones can be near perfect. (Maybe it’s because we’re playing in the same kind of bands but Thanks to Bert for his profiles)

i guess we’re just kids in adult world that always want more candys 😂.

Help me understand, because I truly don’t.

Let’s assume EQs end up in the…uhm….EQ button.

What one sound requires 8 effects at once?

EQ button? Where on the stage?
    and who said at once?

Let me explain it (as best as I can do)

post fx -> X: eq , Mod: chorus, delay: delay, verb: verb

What if I want a tremolo or choose between two delays.
    what’s the problem of having eq built in cab block? It just free one effect block. Use it if you want don’t if you don’t.
    Where do I put a phaser, a double tracker ?

Pre: 1: wha 2: noise gate , 3 : boost , 4: drive

what if for exemple I want an octaver?

For the moment I use a lot of performances and switch all the time.
    I play in 3 bands, 250 songs at least. It’s a nightmare sometimes if we choose songs on the fly.

It would easier for MY way to work to have some more effect at disposal on one rig. Not all at once all the time but having the possibility to do it.

I have to play a lot of « medleys » that requires a lot of effects and variable gain stages. I have to make choices every time because of things like Eq or noise gate. 5 rigs is sometimes not enough.

I just want to have more flexibility. More like I would do with amp, effects and midi looper/switcher.

Having switching effects scenes could also help a lot. For the moment you can’t. It’s great but I could be greater. you can assign a lot of effect on one switch but it’s either all on/off or 1/2 w and 3/4wo vice versa.

Having the possibilities to also switch on/off effects with morphing would help reduce the numbers of performances. You could have morphing as it is and « morphing scene » available. It would also help reducing the time copy/pasting or tweak rig. It’s fun when you have 20 rigs but becomes a nightmare when you have to do it 90 times. Just be able to recall a morphing scene on a rig would be cool.

Hope you get it now, if you don’t, never mind.

That’s not important, that’s I would want for MY use.
    My wishes don’t stop you to use your kemper as it is now.

The double tracker is probably going to take a few updates and more user input to get right, but that's okay since the payback is enormous. I'm hoping for more chorus, phaser, and flanger effects in the near future.

I’m not in need of « more things » but more of more flexibility.

Like having access to an parametric eq in the cab section. Having the option of a noise gate in the drives or boost or in the amp block.

Option to switch on effect on morphing

A simple « input gain » too

Option to have the same wha in every rig but without putting it in a slot

Etc

Not huge things but small improvements to make my life easier.

My main problem with the kemper is that there’s now so much good effects and drives that 4 pre and 4 post are clearly not enough.

Mostly some tweaks. The tuner can now show sharps or flats, which was a user request. Some other odds and ends. Double Tracker got a tweak.

I’d guess there has been a fair amount of refinement and optimization this time around instead of ‘Big New Thing’.

Which if true, I think is a good thing.

me too.

I prefer a Kemper team spending time on polishing, fine tuning, and improving already existing things.

The kemper is already a beast.

it’s because there are better tools for that.

I don’t tkt I that’s a great tool for that

but you can try to put the amp and load in an effect loop to get the 4cable method.

Before the kemper I used a tube amp going through a torpedo live (for load and irs) and a multi effect.
    the head, torpedo and multi were all midi capable so I could change everything with one switch :).

That was great but too much to carry and above all too much time to configure everything.

I always pluck medium force the strings and tune.

In my opinion you should never tune your pick attack.

What happened when you want to plays softer? You’re playing with flat tuned strings ? Never ever lol.