Posts by lbieber

Thank you for the feedback and possible explanation. Unfortunately, your suggestions will not help at this point because I reverted back the OS, reinstalled RM and restored an older backup. It is now 'working' at some level.

I listed the versions that caused the issue in the thread I started under the issues section.

I made a mistake by not doing a backup just before updating the OS. This is my fault. I hope that Kemper will seriously consider my recommendation of automatically performing a backup each time the user updates the OS. It is not sufficient to include a sentence here and there that data might be lost. Kemper could solve the issue the issue of lost or corrupted data during an OS update very easily. Kemper can also make the argument that users are notified about possible data loss. It is a valid argument and short-sighted all at the same time.

In the future, I'll be very careful when deciding to install updates as my experience indicates that the process fails with significant statistical probability.

I can feel your frustration. But I am sure many thousands updates are successful like my own updates on a kemper toaster and Stage over almost 10 years.

Do you have opened a support ticket?

This is not the first time updates have failed and resulted in broken behavior. These typically lead to multiple OS reverts and update attempts in order to get the system working again at some level. One previous failed update cycle resulted in an opened ticket, a broken USB interface, and free repair by Kemper. That issue was handled very professionally by Kemper - kudos to them in that instance. Although, they never actually explained what they did. I have experienced quite a few other update cycles which did not go smoothly. So yes, I agree that many updates do go smoothly and I have experienced those as well. But the update fails that have occurred generally indicate incomplete regression testing. It is unlikely I have been statistically unlucky. I'd say about 20% of updates have gone wrong in some way. That along with the relatively common complaints on the forum indicate that the failure rate is statistically significant.

FWIW, I think the Kemper is a great unit when it works. IME the update process is simply not statistically solid.

I have tried every combination of rebooting and switching performances. I finally reverted back to OS 10.1.2.47971. I can now unreliably use RM to edit profiles. Unreliable editing is an improvement!?!? Now that's a statement about functionality and the update process.

I now have a system that is unreliable after wasting hours of my time rebooting the profiler, many failed OS installations from RM and via USB. The OS update process has serious issues.

As a side note, Kemper adds a text statement in various places regarding possible loss of data during OS updates. In my view, the update process should absolutely force a profiler backup before allowing the OS update to occur. Since RM can't backup the profiler, the update process should require a USB stick so the forced backup occurs every time an OS update occurs. This would make the update process more bullet proof. Sure, I should have backed up, but the process could and should force a backup.

I am very frustrated and disappointed with this interaction. The updates are nowhere near seamless. I've mentioned this before, but Kemper's regression testing is flawed and has not improved in my experience.

Update to OS 10.2.0.48484b Public Beta broke performance mode. There are several issues:

1. all effects in all performances are empty in the profiler itself and in Rig Manager
    2. RM shows the incorrect amp and rig name for some performances, but the correct amp and rig name for others. RM and the profiler content are not in sync
    3. The profiler has the amp and rig name set to crunch for all performances.

In the end, all performances have been corrupted and are not working correctly.

This is probably not new info to most users and Kemper recommends a backup before updates. MAKE SURE TO BACKUP before updating as it can cause serious issues. . I lost about 2 weeks worth of performance changes. That's my fault for not backing up. I wanted to post this to log the experience so perhaps other users won't have a similar negative result.

I would say yes, the Orange cab(or any other cab), would be obsolete - as in no longer needed. The Kemper Kab somehow got brought in as a previously unmentioned alternative. I wouldn't consider it unless you already own one - you didn't list it. You will have plenty of cab options built into the Kemper itself.

All the previous ideas can help to some extent. The root cause is related to string gauge. Traditional string sets are prone to a loud G string for instance. You can find info on the web related to Roger Mayer and Hendrix string gauges which were tailored for this reason. Fender sells a set that is supposed to balance out the loudness variation that you describe. I have some of these sets and they work pretty well. Although I sub the high E 10 with a 9.

The video is interesting at some level, but it doesn't tell the full story regarding linear system theory and filtering. There is no ideal filter in the real world, whether it is implemented in hardware or software. There is also potential to be misled if one does not understand the difference between the frequency and time domain. There are many concepts at play here and this video omits almost all of them. If you really want understand this then you need to understand linear system theory, Fourier transforms, the relationship between the frequency and time domain, magnitude, phase, group delay, sinusoidal superposition, Gibbs phenomenon, etc... Point being this is not a simple subject and this video does not begin to explain what is really happening. In fact, it creates more questions than answers and does not equip the user with any information to address the 'problem'. Probably best to file it in the circular file.

Oh and the these types of effects are not limited to high pass filters. Similar issues exist with all filters.

Wonder why he played a strat then. It's about the hardest guitar to make fat, smooth and non strident on the bridge pickup.

Well he did play more than just the strat live and in the studio. Just guessing, but I think the simple answer for leaning heavily on the strat is the tremolo bridge. Not many other options at the time.

One of the 'advantages' I've heard cited about the long, coiled cable Hendrix used was the high-end roll off it generated.

He was getting 'that' sort of sound without even realizing what he was doing.

I've heard or read directly from Hendrix that he was aiming for a fat, smooth, loud sound without upleasant highs. He was sensitive to the high end and was specifcally aiming for this. Don't know if the cable was part of that. Roger Mayer may have steared him in that direction - just a guess.

I have used wireless live for many years. The whole COVID shutdown changed my ears somehow. I hear things now I didn't necessarily hear when gigging every weekend. I also feel more interaction now than I did before. I decided to buy a couple of high end, low capacitance, cables to give them a try because they were on sale. I was very surprised at the results when using them. I would have been saying all of the naysayer things being said to me here before this.

It's not about being a naysayer IMO. Different cables have different impedance characteristics for sure. Abusive pricing that is justified by specs that aren't meaningful is why I commented. Consumers should be smarter than this, but many don't have the knowledge to understand. So, it falls into the more money than information category. There are cheaper ways to get low capacitance cable if that's what you think you need. And buffers work...really well for that. Personally, I am not looking for low C cable. With the Kemper especially, I am always looking for ways to tame the high end. The cable is one item that can help. For me, the high end characteristic of the Kemper is a main area to address. Especially with a FRFR cab.

To each his own. $1000 IEC power cables, $450 replacement volume knobs, exhoribitantly expensive speaker and instrument cables, crystal aligned and directional. These all exist without an ounce of engineering or physics to support the 'advantages'. The only sure outcome is that the item and the money change hands. Pure nonsense IMO.

On the other hand, the quality of wireless units varies widely for reasons that engineering and physics can easily explain and can be easily heard without the need for the user to claim dog like hearing.

I've been using EW100 wireless systems for almost 20 years. The main reason is so I can walk off stage into the house to hear and mix live gigs. EW100 is not a perfect system, but it's good enough for the gigs I do.

A properly working USB 2.0 bus has a bit error rate of <= 10^-12. It also has error detection built in to each packet. Note I used the word properly. As in not defecticve in terms of the electronics and/or cables.

SNAKE OIL!!!