Posts by lbieber

Wonder why he played a strat then. It's about the hardest guitar to make fat, smooth and non strident on the bridge pickup.

Well he did play more than just the strat live and in the studio. Just guessing, but I think the simple answer for leaning heavily on the strat is the tremolo bridge. Not many other options at the time.

One of the 'advantages' I've heard cited about the long, coiled cable Hendrix used was the high-end roll off it generated.

He was getting 'that' sort of sound without even realizing what he was doing.

I've heard or read directly from Hendrix that he was aiming for a fat, smooth, loud sound without upleasant highs. He was sensitive to the high end and was specifcally aiming for this. Don't know if the cable was part of that. Roger Mayer may have steared him in that direction - just a guess.

I have used wireless live for many years. The whole COVID shutdown changed my ears somehow. I hear things now I didn't necessarily hear when gigging every weekend. I also feel more interaction now than I did before. I decided to buy a couple of high end, low capacitance, cables to give them a try because they were on sale. I was very surprised at the results when using them. I would have been saying all of the naysayer things being said to me here before this.

It's not about being a naysayer IMO. Different cables have different impedance characteristics for sure. Abusive pricing that is justified by specs that aren't meaningful is why I commented. Consumers should be smarter than this, but many don't have the knowledge to understand. So, it falls into the more money than information category. There are cheaper ways to get low capacitance cable if that's what you think you need. And buffers work...really well for that. Personally, I am not looking for low C cable. With the Kemper especially, I am always looking for ways to tame the high end. The cable is one item that can help. For me, the high end characteristic of the Kemper is a main area to address. Especially with a FRFR cab.

To each his own. $1000 IEC power cables, $450 replacement volume knobs, exhoribitantly expensive speaker and instrument cables, crystal aligned and directional. These all exist without an ounce of engineering or physics to support the 'advantages'. The only sure outcome is that the item and the money change hands. Pure nonsense IMO.

On the other hand, the quality of wireless units varies widely for reasons that engineering and physics can easily explain and can be easily heard without the need for the user to claim dog like hearing.

I've been using EW100 wireless systems for almost 20 years. The main reason is so I can walk off stage into the house to hear and mix live gigs. EW100 is not a perfect system, but it's good enough for the gigs I do.

A properly working USB 2.0 bus has a bit error rate of <= 10^-12. It also has error detection built in to each packet. Note I used the word properly. As in not defecticve in terms of the electronics and/or cables.

SNAKE OIL!!!

...One argument against this was "you cant bypass the EQ section a traditional amp as its part of the circuit" yes...

Just a note that there are amps for which the tonestack (or EQ section) can be bypassed. The Dumble ODS is one amp that is well known for this and it is called PAB(preamp boost). There are others as well.

He does not touch whatever is in his right hand to the low E IMO. And I hear no Ebow sounds. I think he has the neck pickup volume off and bridge pickup on. He toggles the pickup switch from neck to bridge(off to on) and enables the hyperspace device at the same time. The off to on snippet is what is repeated and pitch shifted via the Hyperdrive. Maybe this is where Morello got his idea from?

I have no idea what is in his right hand, but it ain't an Ebow.

All IMO

Old thread, but I prefer to avoid the studio eq as it 'wastes' a slot. I use a combination of definition, presence, treble and hi cut to get rid of fizz. If I can't remove it with those, then I move on to a different profile. Presence followed by hi cut are usually the most effective IME.

No experience with the Laney unit.

I almost always use non guitar cabinets. Whether you would call the cabinets that I use FRFR or not is up for discussion. I am skeptical of anything called FRFR because I see FRFR as a sales moniker created to specifically entice users of digital modelers/profilers to part with their money. I see nothing special about these so called FRFR units. I have gotten great results with some PA cabinets that are not labeled as FRFR. In any case, the Kemper is very sensitive to the design and quality of the cab that you attach it to. This is only my experience. I mentioned this is another thread where I listed some examples of cabs that I have used. In the end, there are a wide range of results and buying an FRFR unit is not a guarantee of anything other than your money is now someone else's.

Sorry, but I have no experience with the EV PXM-12MP.

I am simply using what I have on hand and have accumulated over the years. I have not purchased anything special for use with the Kemper, but I have been loaned several FRFR units as well as a Kab. Some of the speakers that I already own sound better or as good and none merited spending more dollars.

1. JBL SRX series is absolutely the best for all uses - live and in my studio/home
    2. EV floor monitors that I obtained in the 80s. Not sure of the model. I would have to check
    3. Turbosound ip2000 line array - not quite as good as the previous 2 but I use it on some live gigs. Relatively transparent and tweeter can be a bit harsh
    4. Adam A7 for studio/home use. Not high powered, but transparent. Tweeter can also be a bit harsh
    5. The list of boxy sounding speakers is long but includes JBL MRX and PRX and many of the others that I mentioned above. I would have to spend more time to provide details on those

A main consideration for me is that I moved away from guitar cabs with the Kemper because I want a good FOH and monitor sound. This forces the use of cabs with tweeters. Tweeters can make profiles(and mic'd guitar amps) sound unpleasant. Before Kemper, I always rolled off the high end off the mic'd guitar amp signal at the board to get it out of the tweeters. Most guitarists don't like and are not used to the guitar in the tweeter sound. I am one of them. I think this is a big contributor to the amp-in-the-room phenomenon that is talked about here a lot. Profiles have to be tweaked properly for cabs with tweeters or the result is harsh, tinny, digital, etc... The Kemper is especially prone to producing harsh tweeter content IMO. I use definition, presence, hi cut, treble, studio EQ to tame it. I find that some profiles can't be tamed and I quickly move on from those. So, I EQ profiles around the harshness that can be part of the guitar plus tweeter sound. On a side note, I suspect that I don't like some of my speakers because the crossover frequency in the unit is not to my liking.

That's some of my experience and opinion. I hope it helps.

I have had similar experiences with cabinets. I stopped using guitar cabs completely with the Kemper. The sound is bad for the reasons stated above by V8. I should say that I don't believe the amp in the room thing so consider that as you will. I only run the Kemper through full range speakers - many different PA and studio monitors. Speakers have a huge effect. I am able to get great sounds out of great speakers. The same profiles on lesser speakers don't sound nearly as good. For me, the quality of the Kemper sound is ALL ABOUT THE SPEAKER.

I have EV monitors, many models of JBLs, Turbosound, Community, KRK, Adam, Alesis, Klipsch. Some sound great and other don't. The range of quality is very wide. I now only focus on tweaking profiles with what I know are good speakers for the Kemper. Otherwise, I view it as wasted time and I have found that I can tweak endlessly with a 'bad' speaker and never achieve an acceptable sound.

In the 2023 Rig Rundown Warren tells his Soldano's are all modified to maintain low end even with low gain settings. It is said that in practice this mod is basically just removing the bright cap across the volume pot. And I've understood that this (bright cap value change) can be now done also with newest firmware?

So in theory, it should be possible to nail these tones.., at least equipment wise. 8o 8)

I mentioned the bass content in my post above. This set of profiles is REALLY good, but were extremely bass heavy and congested before tweaking. I would say I had the opposite problem that you describe in your post.

Clean means different things to different people. I found what I call 'fat' cleans by using a 1960 crunch profile. I turned the gain down, adjusted the definition, and bass knob to get rid of 'congestion'. The result is a very nice profile with good cleans and touch sensitivity. It requires very light picking to maintain an acceptable clean for me, but I can push it into overdrive by increasing my pick attack.

I also use this profile by increasing the gain to get into heavier drive when I want it.

This profile has become one of my favorites.