Posts by michi333

OK... I didn't expect that really no one would actually write anything about it. I assumed that there would be an answer like: "I can't determine the problem with my Kemper. Check your settings again." (although I've already done that, of course.) Or maybe: "Oh yeah! I was paying attention to that and now I noticed it too! Something's not right." But I find it astonishing that there is no answer at all.
    It's not the case that you immediately notice the difference in volume. It was more like, "Hmm...does it somehow get quieter once the loop starts playing? I'm probably just imagining it." And only until I really paid attention to it and was able to see it from the waveform in the DAW there were no longer any doubts.
    I will now check all the settings again and then I assume that the problem must be with my Kemper.

I have a problem again. 8o
    I'm currently working with the looper (Kemper Stage OS 10.1.2.47971).
    My problem is that the looped signal is quieter than the original signal. However, this only happens when the looper is in the output location. If I record this with my DAW, I can even see a difference in volume based on the waveform. The difference is about 1 dB.
    If the looper is in the input location, I can't notice any difference in volume.
    In the Kemper's system menu, the looper volume is set to 0 dB.
    That's a bit of a shame because I would like to record something with one rig, overdub it with another rig and then switch back to the first rig. But the level jumps confuse me a bit.
    I don't even know what setting options I could have overlooked. Can you recreate the problem with your Kempers?
    Sorry if there already is a thread like this. So far I've only read posts where the looper is supposed to be louder than the original signal.

I currently have a problem with my Kemper Stage, which only occurs sporadically:

I used the looper (Looper Location:Output).
    So I recorded something with a rig, the looper played it and I wanted to change the rig.
    So I left the looper and when I went to select another rig, the Kemper hung up. I couldn't select anything anymore, the looper continued playing, I couldn't go back to the looper and even long-pressing the power button didn't help.
    I had to unplug the power plug. In the last few days I've been playing with the looper more often and it happened to me three times.
    The Kemper is connected to my PC via USB to edit rigs with the Rig Manager. Maybe this could be the problem, I thought.
    I disconnected the USB connection to see if it happened again.

The Kemper had never hung himself before without the looper.

OS version is: 10.1.2.47971

Should I switch to an older version and if so, which one?

I was about to post a similar feature request, but fortunately I searched and actually found something similar I was looking for. Since this post is now three years old, I'm afraid that either no one else needs such a function, or that it's not as easy to implement as I think it is.

I would love this feature as it would simplify a lot of things.

I often screw on rigs at home, because it's more relaxed.

I open recordings of the drums, bass and vocals from the rehearsal room into my DAW and tweak the rigs until it fits in context. Occasionally I play the guitar through an active full-range speaker and see if I notice anything negative.

I then have a performance for each song and the rigs are often similar (clean, crunch, lead...) and with effects like delay or reverb that differ only minimally.

Since I don't have a live situation at home, of course, it could turn out during rehearsals or a concert that the settings aren't quite optimal. And then of course it would be nice to be able to react quickly.

So you could find out that the distortion in the crunch rig was too much, the volume of the lead rig is too low, or you were too generous with the delay or reverb mix parameter. And the problem may run through all performances, because the rigs from performance "Song 1" were copied to "Song 2" etc. and they were only adapted to suit the songs.

My idea was that certain parameters could be linked across performances using "links" (or something like that).

In the rig manager it could look like this, for example, by right-clicking the parameter and on the menu "Revert Parameter to Default/Stored Value" another entry with "Link" appears below it. You can then give the links meaningful names. This could happen in such a way that on "Song 1" in the crunch rig, the Gain parameter in the Amp module was given a link called "Gain_Crunch". For "Song 2" select the appropriate rig and the parameter and link them together via "Link". Corresponding links could then also be made for other parameters and the rig volume. If you now change a parameter, it also changes in the other Performances, provided these parameters are linked.

I hope you understand what I mean. I've attached an image of what that might look like.

I don't know yet how this could be implemented with the hardware Kemper or Stage. So far I haven't thought about it.

I have no idea if that would be feasible and I'm sure there is still room for improvement. But for me such a function would be a dream!

To round things off, I would like to continue my monologue here!🤣

I've now plucked up all my courage and after making a backup, I've reset the Kemper to factory settings!

After that, the noise in the DI signal was actually gone! :huh:

That was reassuring at first, so I was shure there was no hardware defect and I didn't have to send the Kemper away.

So my guess was that either the software had hung up or I had messed something up in a menu myself 😆

Then I loaded one of my performances: still no noise.

Then I took screenshots of all the menus and loaded my backup again: the noise was back!

So I went through all the menus and in the end it was the Aux Input in the Output menu!

Once I´ve turned up the aux input to the main outs during a rehearsal to give us all the click that I had played on my smartphone. So I connected my phone to the aux with a jack plug and then raised the volume fully because the output of my phone was so weak. Didn't think that a fully cranked aux, which is routed to the main outs, would still end up on the DI signal, but ok. Sounds weird, but learned something again.

Error is thus fixed and can be booked under my own stupidity 🤣

Today I recorded a DI signal with my Palmer DI box and then reamped it (input source to SPDIF input reamp and master stereo to SPDIF output) and the noise was gone! Especially the nasty noise at about 3 kHz is completely gone!

So it doesn't seem to be due to the inputs/outputs of the Kemper or the interface, but only to the DI signal that my Kemper outputs. I'll play around with the noise gate again and try other power sources. Or do a factory reset. If that doesn't help either I might have to send it in.

Hello,

If I record a DI signal via SPDIF with my Kemper Stage and then reamp it via SPDIF, I notice a subtle hissing.

The DI track sounds reamped pretty much the same as playing the same profile with the guitar on the input.

Except that in extremely quiet passages or pauses in playing, a background noise can be heard, which then, depending on the degree of distortion of the profile, is noticeable.

The noise also occurs when no cable is connected to the input (i.e. when I create a Kemper DI track with no input signal and then reamp it). So I can rule out guitar and instrument cables (I've tried several anyway).

I would have expected that if I stay on the digital level, there really is no noise floor.

My question would now be, is this completely normal and am I just being too meticulous?

My setup is relatively simple:

I go from the Kemper to the RME Fireface UCX (and back) via SPDIF, the software of both devices is up to date.

Nothing else is connected, I even removed the USB cable for the rig manager.

Instead of my 5m long Cordial S/PDIF cable, I tried the original (slightly shorter) ones that came with my RME.

No FX are active in TotalMix and Reaper.

S/PDIF Clock is set to 44.1 kHz Internal in Kemper, Clock Source in the RME is set to SPDIF coax (of course also runs at 44.1 kHz) and Reaper of course also runs at 44.1 kHz.

I record the guitar signal on one track and the stack on another.

If I now play the DI track via the Kemper (Input Source: SPDIF Input Reamp), the level is as if I were playing the guitar into the Kemper (nothing clips and the gain sounds almost identical).

Only that it rushes when I´m not playing (or playing very quiet).

Below is a link to the DI signal and the reamped signal. When listening to the DI, you have to raise the level very far to perceive noise. It is then clearly audible when the signal is reamped.

By the way, if I record a DI via the mainout, the noise is slightly louder.

Normally that wouldn't bother me. In Reaper I simply cut away the silence at the beginning and end of the DI track and then there is no hissing when reamping. But knowing that I couldn't let the guitar ring out at the end of a song for example, is somehow unsatisfactory (you could of course also fade it out in the DAW).

Is that the case with you too and don't you think it's that bad?

[URL unfurl="true"]https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lrjwtzeav6j1tab/spdif%20DI.wav?dl=0[/URL]

[URL unfurl="true"]https://dl.dropbox.com/s/m4k7i…em/spdif%20reamp.wav?dl=0[/URL]

@Crispy Panther:

Thank you for your detailed illustration.

This is what separates a hobbyist from a professional. And I'm definitely not a pro...

It may be that the wrong impression was created here. It's not that I can't play two bars straight reasonable.

This is more like micro timing. As if you already think "oops, that's a bit fast/slow now" while playing. And then, in my opinion, the drummer would have to counteract something with the tempo.

Or after the gig you talk about it again or listen to the recording later and realize that the song should have been just a tiny bit faster to make it more danceable/interesting (to work better).

If I were a drummer and noticed that during the gig, it would be my part to correct the tempo, right?

Instead, what feels like is a look at the guitarist (me) along the lines of: "Who started the song??! So who messed it up again??!"

I rather have the feeling that he can't pick up the tempo because he's not quite sure himself.

Or as if he wants to be on the safe side because he wants to be considerate of us, which isn't necessary at all because we would naturally (as a matter of course) react to his change in tempo.

Since that doesn't seem to be possible (there have been talks about this already), I didn't want to keep blaming myself and would prefer to

start immediately in the correct song tempo, even if the intro seems a bit too fast to me personally.

Hence the idea of using the click as a count-in for me.

And since I felt the Boss metronome for a simple count-in (with about five or six songs) was too expensive for me, I asked here for a possible alternative.

I always find it remarkable when someone can say "that was 118 bpm now."

Or to be able to determine tones exactly, great!

I'm not a professional musician, I don't have to earn my money with it and I only do it as a hobby.

I'm more of an emotional musician. Make decisions based on gut feeling and reach my goal despite it via detours.

That doesn't mean I'm too lazy to get better. That's why I'm going to force myself to play to a metronome more often at home, paying close attention to my playing style.

I'm quite good at playing after a click, but maybe there's something to be gained by paying even more critical attention to my technique.

I know you wrote you don’t want to have a smart phone on the stage but that would be a very cheap solution, also good for practical/rehearsal.

I use a very nice app called tempo.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'll definitely try that anyway, thanks!

Ok, so the majority opinion seems to be that the drummer should count in even when I start a song.
    Of course that would make things a lot easier for me.
    Although I always find it very nice when I start a song and the audience doesn't have a count-in from the drummer on their ears.
    In the past, that has actually always worked quite well with other drummers.
    Apparently they had a good feeling for how fast the respective song should be.
    For example, I could play the intro a little slower and once everyone was playing together, we were still in the correct tempo.
    I think certain tempi changes make a song just interesting. The verses can, for example, be a bit slower and then speed up a bit in the chorus.
    But our drummer seems to see things differently.
    I'll think again if I can find a simple solution that I can get along with without having to put more equipment on the stage, or if we have to talk about it again within the band.

I was just hoping that there were now cheaper metronomes that could receive MIDI clock.
    Nevertheless many thanks!

I've already looked on the net and in the forum, but unfortunately didn't find a satisfactory answer:
    for live gigs i would like to put a click track on my ears so i play at the correct tempo when i start a song by myself.
    The problem is that sometimes I start a song too slow or too fast depending on how I'm feeling that day.
    I often notice it at the latest when the rest of the band joins in. But by then it's already too late and our drummer doesn't seem able to increase or slow down the tempo.

I don't want to rule out that it could be my fault and that I should practice with a metronome more often to memorize the tempo.

But it's still a different situation live and you often feel the adrenaline rush too quickly.

First of all, I would like to try out (inexpensively) during band rehearsals whether it is any use at all if I start the songs after a click track.

I use an in-ear for band rehearsals. If that works well, I could imagine using it live later.

Of course I programmed the right tempo for the respective rigs and was hoping to be able to orientate myself with the tap/tempo light of the Kemper Stage.

But a visual display is apparently too imprecise for me.

I don't want to put a laptop, tablet or smartphone on stage, although that would probably solve another problem I had (quick reprogramming of the setlist).

The Boss DB-90 Dr. Beat Metronome seems to do exactly what I need, but at just under €160 it's actually too expensive for me and you rarely even get it used for less than €100. Unfortunately, it seems to be the only metronome that receives MIDI clock.

Do you have any other ideas how I could solve the problem? I wouldn't be averse to a DIY project either, as long as it isn't too expensive and time-consuming.

Thanks in advance!

When I recently woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep, I suddenly had a brainwave! I tried this early in the morning and it's embarrassing that I didn't think of it before:

the right output of the Kemper goes directly into my audio interface as usual. The left output of the Kemper goes into the mono-in of the Mimiq Doubler and from there I go with the left output of the Mimiq (ie only the effected signal) into the interface!

It actually sounds almost the same as it used to when I played over two amps in the past.

In those days the Mimiq was always on. This of course slightly changed the character of the delay if I turned it on. But it was also kind of cool, there was something three dimensional about it...I thought then I could bypass the Mimiq with my G-Lab MIDI looper once I select a rig with a delay.

But unfortunately I had a slight crackling in the signal again as soon as I switched from a delay rig back to a rig with the Mimiq in the output.

I probably won't use it to play live, but it's fun for rehearsals!

I've tried your settings now and as I expected, I have no ping-pong delay (when I connect the Mimiq behind the mainouts ).

Turning the Dry and Effect down (let's say 12 o'clock) just makes it quieter, but it stays mono with a DoubleTrack Effect.

If I now turn down the effect signal on Dubs 1, then I have the dry "mono-ping-pong" on the right side.

If I turn the effect signal up and turn the dry signal all the way down, I have the effected "mono-ping-pong" on the left side.

If I set dubs to 2, the dry signal all the way down, I have the effected "mono-ping-pong" on both sides. If I turn Dry up and Effect down, I have the "mono-ping-pong" in the middle.

You can hear that very clearly on my recording: the Mimiq turns my stereo signal into a mono signal and simply adds the doubler effect.

with the crackling in the FX loop:

if I pull down dry, then of course I only have the doubler signal on the left side. That's not the effect I'd like to have.

....You do have the Stereo Mimiq with L and R input/outputs? ....

Yes, it's the stereo Mimiq.

In the past I used to have the Mimiq on my pedalboard and ran it in front of two amps (or later two Nux Solid Studio IR & Pow Amp Sim).

With the guitar I went mono into the Mimiq, stereo into the delay and from there into the amps.

The delay sound was changed slightly because I went in with a stereo signal, but it also had something "three-dimensional" about it, which was kind of funny.

Because I wasn't quite sure right now, I made a short video:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As you can see, in the first part of the video, the Mimiq hangs in stereo on the main outs of the Kemper and it goes stereo to the audio interface.

I used a simple ping-pong delay as a preset. If I turn on the Mimiq, it seems to internally convert it to mono and then adds the doubler effect. But that's no longer a ping-pong.

If I connect the Mimiq to the FX loop, I have the FX like I used to have with two amps, but I have an unpleasant crackling sound when switching between two identical rigs. If I turn the Rig-X-Fade Time up to 10 ms, the crackling disappears almost completely, but the Rig becomes quieter for a short time, almost like the Kemper DoubleTracker. I was in contact with the Kemper support last year, but they could not reproduce the behavior. Even connecting an isolating transformer between the FX loop and the Mimiq was unsuccessful.

It would have been nice to have this feature, but it's not a total bad thing to not being able to use the DoubleTracker.

Therefore the Kemper offers enough other advantages.

Yes, but the Mimiq does something weird with the stereo signal:
    when I (at least on my device) go into the Mimiq with a stereo delay,
    it seems to internally convert it to mono and then apply the doubler effect.
    So the delay sounds completely different than if I first went into the Mimiq and then into the delay.

For yesterday's rehearsal I copied all my performances and removed the DoubleTracker there.

Instead, I added a subtle reverb to any rig that was previously dry.

I was excited because switching between rigs feels so much better now. No more dorpouts and I no longer feel like I switched rigs at the wrong time. Of course it was a lot of fun to hear the guitar with the DT like a wall on both sides and it definitely cleaned up the sound when rehearsing via in-ears, but the playing feel is now much better without this FX.

The DoubleTracker is now disappearing from my rigs again.

It's a shame that the Mimiq doubler made such a noticeable cracking noise in my FX loop, otherwise that would have been an option.

So I tried the Double Tracker again with the latest operating system 8.6.6

and I still have the problem of volume dropouts described by me and many other users.

For testing purposes I switched off all effects, amps and cabinets, i.e. only the DTRK .... copied the rig and when switching between the rigs

(in the same performance well-tempered) the dropouts can still be heard clearly.

When rehearsing via in-ears, the DTRK is of course kind of fun if you panned the guitar to the left and right

and so it makes some space for the vocals.

My fellow musicians only noticed the dropouts after I asked them about it.

That doesn't sound totally dramatic in the band structure either ... more like ... oh shit, you missed the job again

(as if you hadn't switched the rig at the right moment).

That annoys me a bit and I would probably not want to use it live ... if I imagine that other musicians may be present who are perhaps even more meticulous than me and who notice it immediately, it could be embarrassing .

Regrettable somehow, could have been a really good effect ... but not useful for live, maybe still acceptable when rehearsing and in the studio I would prefer to play a second guitar anyway.

But maybe something will change next year.

With that in mind, have a great start to 2022 everyone and stay (or get) healthy!

After all, this is a beta, so I don't want to jump the gun and say it doesn't work, when it is entirely possible this is something that the company has already taken stock of and is working to rectify.

Absolutely! I totally like the FX too and hope Kemper will fix that.

Actually, I just wanted to hear if others have the problem too, or whether it is due to my Kemper Stage.

In the example I posted before, I changed the rig after every attack, as this was the most dramatic problem to me.

I have now run a sine tone through the Kemper in order to have an even tone without an attack.

Here's an example where I was switching the rig that I had copied before.

The rig is without the amp and the cab section, just the DTRK.

External Content soundcloud.com

I really couldn't get the pulsating sound with the sine tone. However, the DTRK makes a "moving sound", that keeps moving from right to left.

Then I rotated the panorama once to the left and once to the right in the rig menu of the Kemper.

You can hear an increase and decrease of the sine tone.

Perhaps it is intentional or impossible to do otherwise. When changing rigs, however, I found it extremely annoying.

I´ve also tested the Doubletracker. Basically it comes very close to the Mimiq, but I also have this "pulsating" sound (the right side gets quieter from time to time).

I also noticed that when you change rigs there is a strong pulsation, as if you were playing over a leslie-box for a few seconds. I copied the default crunch rig and switched it back and forth. The DTRK was in default mode (looseness 5.0, stereo 100%, detune 0.0 cent).

Thanks for the tips. The problem is not that I don't have a good sound with the Mimiq Doubler. I would always prefer to play another guitar in the studio, it's only about live or in the rehearsal room, as I'm the only guitarist in the band.

I use the Mimiq in the stereo FX loop. This is placed in front of the delay and reverb modules. The sound is great, the only problem I have when switching between rigs is that a short crackle occurs.
    If you look at the recorded waveform in the DAW you can see that the delayed signal causes a sound dropout for a few milliseconds. I am a little surprised that no one else knows the problem.

I ran through several scenarios to rule out errors:
    -installed the latest firmware on both devices
    -exchanged cables
    -copied the default crunch rig with the Mimiq in the FX loop and switched back and forth
    -placed the FX loop in the delay module (keyword spillover - but has no effect here)
    -tried lower and upper FX loop
    -hung the Mimiq on the main-outs of the Kemper. The Mimiq places the original signal on the right side and
    the doubled signal to the left. If you go stereo in the Mimiq, it simply puts the stereo sum on the right side (is thus summarized) and duplicated it on the left side. The whole thing then sounds somehow like stereo, a ping-pong delay, for example, which previously alternately moves from left to right, only sounds "mono".
    - I wrote to temper support, it could have something to do with an improper impedance of the Mimiq doubler. Can not do anything.

I was finally able to reduce the sound dropout (or crackling) to a tolerable level by turning up the Rig X-Fade value from 3 ms to 8 ms in the System menu. If I go to 10 ms, the sound becomes noticeably quieter when changing the rig, so 8 ms seems to be a good value.

Yes, in principle I agree with you, I actually played over two different amps for years. I just wanted to simplify my setup and that's why I decided on the Kemper. Modelers didn't convince me that much, but I liked Kemper straight away. I'll just have to get used to a little.