Posts by silkof

No, the XLR outputs are 6 dB hotter, and you are now likely hitting the mic preamp on your interface.

Unless you can actually chose line level for the XLR inputs on your interface, just use the TS outputs.

Both your interface and the Kemper has 0 dBFS at +16 dBu. Should be a perfect match. I see that your interface has gain control from -10 to +50 for line level. Sure you don't have it set to -10?

Yes I use the line ins in my audio interface, with XLR I get much more volume than TRS cables.

Perfect match is to be at -18 to -12 db? My interface (audient sono) has gain controls from 0-10 in the manual it says:

The Gain controls allows to set the amount
    of input gain anywhere between 0 and 60dB
    which is more than enough for even the
    quietest of microphones.

I have it at 0. Where did you find that the range is from -10 to +50?

And for scarlett 2i2 it's from -4 - 46db

Have you seen the TV series LOST? Because I am now in it. =O

I have Kemper Main Outs using TS cables to my Interface. I have my Kemper main output volume level at -12db. If I raise it to max at 0.0db then my signal will clip inside my DAW... but then all I would have to do is lower the gain knobs on my interface to compensate to get the signal to fall back into the (-12db to -6db) recording range. Vice-versa on this if I lower main output level down to -66db (before infinity).

So what is the optimal main output db to go into DAW to get optimal tone, or is the optimal tone there no matter the signal strength?

something is definitely off with your device. This is either a setting or a hardware fault. The levels you are getting are not normal. The Kemper has a very hot output than usually need to be tamed rather than boosted.

I cant get it clip inside my DAW, so as Wheresthedug said there is sth wrong... if I make you a video with all the presets from input to output of the Rig Manager will sb be able to check it and see if everything is ok?

I have a very bad luck when buying sth new..it's 50% of times defective! I dont want to believe my new kemper is defective...I'll have to go a priest for an exorcism or sth

Well I also never reach the same sound with any profile. Eg the free Roadking Profiles of Guido Bungenstock that sounded outstanding in the profiling video sounded extremely different on my Kemper (bassy, muffled and spongy). So what is the trick?! I do not know. The same I experienced with the JTM Profiles. They sounded modest in my recordings and with such scooped sound I can never think of playing live and apart from being heard. So there must be some magic in the house. I think they sound better with my EMG81 compared to my Harry Häussel PUs that are amazing and my all-time favorites. Still married with a mid-boosting Studio-EQ in stomp X with a free Rectifier profile from TMS. I then also bought the TMS rectifier pack and was disappointed that I haven‘t even found the profile I love so much. So where did that come from ;0? Aliens…

Oh, so we do sth wrong or the tranferability of the profiles sucks. JMT profiles in his videos sounded incredibly good. I bought kemper paying a load of money to reach sounds like his, even with more tweaking that I would expect to. Otherwise it doesnt deserves its money.

-12 dBFS is a good level. No need to record hotter than that.

You can increase the rig volume level if you absolutely want a louder output going into the Sonos. The Kemper will max out at +16 dBu. I do not know what input level equals 0 dBFS on the Sonos.

You mean AMPLIFIER volume, no...? I'd think RIG volume is intended for balancing rigs?

Using a guitar preamp I can get much more volume to my sono or scarlett, I really dont get why a 1700euros monster like Kemper cant give as much volume output as I want. With the amp volume at max and monitor volume at max I get -6db. With my v-twin pedal used only as preamp I get +18db for sure.

Yes to all rigs it is the same. Output led goes slightly red only when I increase the amp volume section. Monitor out or Main out same results.

I requested a level meter in Rig Manager for this reason.

E.g.

on the Audient Sono:

is the 'To Valve' switch in Mic/Line1 set to 'off'?

have you tried using Mic/Line2?

To Valve switch is off. I just used Mic/Line2 which gives the same results. I also used my Scarlett 2i2 to compare. At Line input with preamp at 0 and kemper output at max it gives me -12db. At Instrument input it gets too loud.

balazs

I compared the sound with the video you posted where JMT goes through the profiles one by one (I guess playing with 1 guitar and without anythting else past Kemper). I added a OD pedal in the fron in order to make my sound similar to his. The thing is that he is not using an OD :) Wtf is going wrong...might there be another tweak?

I know the andy sneap technique but before that I 'd like to see how close I can get to his sound through kemper tweaks...

Before I buy the kemper I bought stl tonehub and his profiles for this vst plugin. The tone of my guitar/ playing was 98% identical to his without any tweaking. I expected sth similar with the kemper profiles. I seems that either I need to tweak a bit or the difference with my pickups is bigger thatn stl tonehub.

do you have a volume pedal plugged in? Have you used a pedal but not currently plugged in? Could the KPA be stuck thinking that the volume is being reduced because of a volume pedal?

check the pedal settings and make sure there is nothing in the signal path that is attenuating the volume such as an OD with reduced output or a compressor etc with the level turned down.

Ok guys the amp volume was set to 0db. I increased it to 12 db and now I get more output volume. My max signal is -6db now. Is this the normal output volume?

Thank you for your answers guys you're really helpful

balazs

-The profiles are as I imported them I didnt change anything. Yes everything is activated.
    -The bridge pickup is at 3mm which is the shortest recommendend. Actually I was thinking of lowering it to test the difference.

-I read it I 'll try to use a multiband compressor to see the result...
    -Good idea

Well I really dont think it is the playing. It seems like his recordings have more gain. This is why I'm trying to understand in another post in the forum if I do sth wrong with gain staging. I cant hit the audio interface with enough gain and I am forced to use its preamps. But I have the master volume of kemper at full...man...very dissapointed with all these crap:P

What are you recording? Processed or direct? (What source is the Monitor Out set to?)

There's nothing called "Main Monitor"....You mean "Main Out", right? As long as the output you're using is not attenuated, you're good.

Main output and Monitor output. I'm recording processed signal, the monitor out is set to Master mono. I really dont feel that good:P

What do you mean locked volume?

Is there a way to select instrument or line level in kemper?

What are the globals?

Sorry for my noobidity man. :)

Everybody is very happy with these profiles but I'm not. Probably Im doing sth wrong. I've just bought my kemper and the Rhythm guitar Bundle 2 of Josh Middleton. I expected to get a similar tone to his. I use an ESP Eclipse with EMG 81 85 , standard D tuning and an audient sono audio interface. I have replaced the battery to the guitar the string are not new but not too old as well and quadtracked a riff specifically giving attention to palm mutes. The I compared this to STL tonehub with JMT dual rectifier profiles and to his MUSA DR 6 raw guitar sound from his video Heavy Tone Bundle 2.

The result was very dissapointing. Why is the my version so lifeless and non chuggy? Wtf am I doing wrong? Even the Stl tonehub sounds better than my kemper version. Please help.

Links
    JMT MUSA DR 6 Raw guitars
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qc7w…%20Musa%20DR%206.mp3?dl=0

My MUSA DR 6
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/drmc…ith%20Musa%20DR6.mp3?dl=0

STL Tonehub
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2xo…20Dual%20rec%206.mp3?dl=0

Guys I 've just bought a kemper profiler and I have a lot of things to learn. Please help.

1st how do I know if the input volume is set to correct levels since there is no peak info?

2nd when I connect kemper to my shitty crappy audient sono line in I have to use the Sono's preamp to have proper gain stage. I didnt want to use the crappy preamps of sono though. I have master output from kemper full and I only get -18 db in the daw. Is there a way to use the kemper without the need to use sono's preamps?

Silkof