Posts by DareRelaqz

Unlike a studio profile, which contains the sound of the whole signal chain (amp, the cab/speakers and mics/mic positions), a DI profile is just the amp (e.g. just the head portion) - sounds horrible on it's own, but the idea is you can either play it thru a real cab, or load an Impulse Response (which rig manager will convert to a "Kemper Cab" file) into the cab section. The benefit of this you have more control over the sound. The cab/speaker/mic/mic position choice has a huge effect on the tone, so if you find a DI profile of an amp set up at least close to how you like it, you can then pair it with any IR you like to get a whole range of tones. I've found that this is an easier and quicker way to get the tones I'm after, as opposed to scrolling thru tons of studio profiles where the cab/speaker/mic/mic position choice may or may not be to my liking. btw, a Merged profile contains a DI profile, so you can swap the cab section and get accurate results. You can also swap the cab section in a Studio profile, but here the Kemper "guesses" which portion of the sound is the amp and which is the cab - doesn't yield as good results in my experience. If you're happy with studio profiles, you can probably ignore DI's - but if you're not quite finding the tones you're after, the DI plus IR method can be quite a revelation!

Thanks for the explanation! I'll give it a shot sometime.

When you get the DI do you get to set the mic/position? Or does it come set in the profile?

Hi everyone.

Ever since I got my Kemper I've been using primarily high gain profiles from ChopTones. Recently I've noticed that their profiles are very "compressed" and very bassy. I can get away with it on a 6 string but not on a 7, let alone an 8.

Are there any EQ settings I can fiddle with to get a more lively, amp-in-the-room sound? And does anyone have recommendations for other high gain and quality and well captured profilers out there?

I'm a big fan of Mesa Boogies and Friedmans as that's the tone I usually shoot for, if that helps at all.

Thanks!

So I (kinda) recently made a thread asking for headphone recommendations, and after a lot of great suggestions decided to go with the Beyerdynamic 770 Pro. It was just mentioned a lot so I figured "hey, why not?". Just for reference here, normally I'll plug the Kemper into an interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) in stereo into two ESI Unik 05 Plus, which sound amazing. I'm sitting about an arm's reach away from them when I play in a moderately sized but tall room, and my guitars of choice are two Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci models. I got the headphones for mainly, you guessed it, silent practice.

Now the Beyers definitely sound way better than the cheaper Focusrite headphones I was using before. The first thing I noticed is that the sound is very "flat", like the sound is literally on top of my ear, so I researched and found out about the "Space" setting, which has definitely improved the experience, but there's still something...off, I guess? The headphones really seem to 'boost' the high end. I tried reading into EQ - and Tone Junkie has a really good video about how to EQ profiles - so I go in to pretty much every profile I use and cut the highs. My problem is that I don't really know what I'm doing.

I don't even know if this is the right question and I'm confusing myself even more as I write it. I have a desirable sound, which I can get with a profile, unmodified, with my monitors but can't get with headphones. I know they won't sound exactly the same, obviously, but the problem is they aren't even close.

I'm really, really enjoying the unit and I'm trying to get the most out of it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, the Beyers are 250 ohms.

Do either of you happen to have experience with over-ear Shure headphones? I'll have a look at some in-ears since you recommended them, but over-ear would be my preference. I just think it'll be more comfortable for me personally over a longer time because in-ear stuff tends to fall out for me.

Hey everyone,

I've been playing around with the headphones that come with the Focusrite Scarlett for a while, but to be honest, they don't sound great. I mostly use high gain profiles (Boogies, Friedmans, etc) but I have a few questions:

1. What are the main differences between closed and open back headphones? I don't do much recording and mostly play at home. What would be preferable for higher gain stuff?

2. I have a nice set of headphones (Sony WH-1000XM3) - is it possible to use those?

3. About the ohms - what's better? Higher or lower?

Thanks everyone! If this isn't the right place to post feel free to move it elsewhere.

I'm actually not familiar with Pro Tools at all (I was trying to record today and whenever I trimmed a track it just kept moving it backwards and messing everything up), but I'll give latency a look. Is the buffer thing too complicated to explain here? I'm not familiar with that either.

Wheresthedug I actually completely miswrote my second question, apologies.

The delay and reverb from the Kemper itself work and affect the recording, so that's all fine, but I seem to be getting delay and reverb from Pro Tools First itself, and only when recording. I have absolutely no idea how to turn this off, and even being a bedroom guitarist only it really, really messes me up when I try to recorded, especially heavy stuff that needs to be tight and palm muted.

And everyone else, thanks for all the other answers! I'm glad to be here!

Hello everyone, I just bought my Profiler yesterday and I absolutely love it. There's still a ton for me to sort through but I've got a few general questions that I'm not totally sure where to post.

1. The guys at the shop were super nice and threw in a bunch of profiles for me when I got the Kemper - A ton of Morgans, Friedmans, Marshalls, some Vox amps and Fenders. While they sound really great, I've been looking for profiles of Mesa Boogies, since they're my favorite amps and the sound I'm going for. My preference would be the JP2C and different John Petrucci sounds from different Dream Theater albums, but any other profiles of other Boogies would also be appreciated.

As a side note, if anyone can recommend me names of different reliable, high quality profile makers, that'd be amazing.

2. I also got a Focusrite Scarlett and studio monitors with the Kemper, but I'm having some issues when plugging into Pro Tools and recording. My signal is really low, whenever I record the delay/reverb of the preset turns on but doesn't affect the recording, which I don't understand because I turned it off on the unit itself, and the recording itself doesn't sound nearly as good as playing through the monitors. I'm a total newbie to audio stuff, by the way. Any suggestions / things to read up on?

3. How do I save a preset to my favorites? Is it possible to take a preset and change the cabinet I'm using? What else can I customize?

Thanks!