Posts by RosboneMako

I should also mention you will want to use a very clean profile and turn off any FX, Cab/IR, etc. That should give you the best shot at getting the right curves for the Amp EQ sections.

Also note the liquid EQs may be interactive so you cant sweep the mid for example and call it a day. Adjusting the bass/treb/pres may affect the mid freq and response.

REW is great for making profiles as well. You can sweep your mic setup and see if you have phase issues like suck outs, echoes cancellation, etc. First time I swept my 2x12 cab I was blown away by how much the one speaker bled into the other. I ended up piling deadening material around the unused speaker.

Best of luck and have fun.

In case you have time and wish to go further, I'd very much like to see studio equaliser curves for :

- high cut

- low cut

- steep low on/off

- steep high on/off

The app used to determine/show the freq curves is called ROOM EQ WIZARD. It is a free download.

You need to be able to run your audio cards output into the Kemper and then Kemper out to your audio cards input. At least in the analog out only days of the Kemper.

Since the Kemper acts as an audio device itself now, you may be able to route it without touching any cables. I have not tried.

Not telling you to do it yourself. Just posting info for others and also help you in case you want to know what some of the new Liquid EQ response are. You can get REW and start sweeping all of the stuff you are interested in. Like what is the EQ of a tube screamer? Sweep it and find out!

cheers

Half of the fun of doing a tune is seeing how it comes out sonically. Super fun tune! If Tony Iommi can write some of the best guitar riffs ever with no finger tips, I have hope you will be fine. <3

The point though of LP's - as I see it .... and as CK states - is that if you do it as recommended, you will get very "authentic" amp response and adjustability whereby when you move the G/B/M/T etc.... it "authentically" reproduces how the Amp would respond ... no one is claiming its "1:1 perfect" ... but it is very "authentic" and to my ears bang-on amp-like and musical.

For clarity:

What I was saying is pretend you have an old Fender. Maybe the EQ is after the preamp. LP's should work fine on this amp generically just set the EQ in the Kemper to Pre. Same for a Marshall or something that has EQ then gain. Set the EQ to post.

Both of these scenarios will be great 90% of the time with LP's for most amps.

The issue comes with situations like EQ -> Gain - > EQ -> Gain -> EQ. LP's are not going to be great with a single shot for this amp. You will probably need multiple profiles.

I am just saying people need to be realistic about what the Kemper is trying to accomplish. If you want dead nuts copies of an amp get a Helix, Fractal, etc. If you want an amp that sounds amazing, is easy to use, and even better most of the time get the Kemper.

Since every amp is designed a little different, you should profile at several points. The EQ and gain stages will vary so you cant just magically do a 12 o'clock version and have it be perfect.

The addition of some EQ presets will not magically make the Kemper a Helix(etc) where every device in the amp has been modeled. Liquid is designed to get you much closer to the real amp, not model that amp to perfection.

Agreed kids now complain of carrying a P.A. on a stick . We carried 70 PAR cans, heavy light dimmers, Leprecon light board and 8x BGW 750 backbreaker power amps (about 85lbs ea.) that we lifted and took 4 guys to lift each rack they were in and 4 huge MCA Sub cabs with 15" speakers and a 4 way P.A The only instructional videos I had were pushing my way up to the front of a show and watching fingers. I cannot even respond when I hear of people complaining about "hauling" around the systems now. My amp rig in the 80s was harder to haul around. We were WAY tougher then.

You cant fit into "skinny" jeans when you bulk up so much carrying man sized equipment :P

The Kemper is an electronic device that is plugged into the wall. It will make more noise than a guitar generically. But it is usually pretty clean.

Things to look at are:

- The Kemper should be connected to the same power source (outlet) as the Amplifier. Or you will get GROUND LOOPS where small amounts of current are flowing on the cables because the Amp and Kemper are not at the same GROUND voltage/potential.

- If the Kemper is connected to a PC with a USB cable, you will get a bunch of noise. It is best to remove the USB when profiling. May help if the Computer is also on the same power source.

- Cables are antennas. The longer the cables used from the Guitar/Amp/Kemper, the more noise and the less Guitar/Kemper signal you will have. This is called signal to noise ratio.

- Computers are noise generators. Even if not connected to a PC, you will pick up noise being transmitted from the PC. Always keep the guitar/Kemper/Cables as far away from the PC/Monitor as possible.

You may be able to go into the Kemper and try lifting GROUNDs on inputs/outputs to see if it stops the ground loops.

Just for giggles, did Kemper have you run RM as an admin? If for some security reason RM has lost access to certain directories maybe it just crashes??? Worth a shot.

If you right click the Rig Manager program icon from the start menu, your desktop, or explorer you get the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR option.

May need more information.

1) Has it ever run on this PC?

2) Did it run for years and all of a sudden start crashing?

3) Do you let Windows auto-update (most everyone does)? Did RM stop working after an update? Most applications run on runtime libraries that Microsoft updates randomly.

4) Have you tried starting RM with no unit connected? A different USB cord and/or port?

CORRUPT FILES MAYBE??? DANGER: PROCEED WITH CAUTION

RM stores its user data in C:\Users\YOURWINDOWSACCOUNTNAME\AppData\Local\Kemper Amps\Rig Manager. After uninstalling RM make sure this folder is empty. Maybe there is a corrupt data file that is crashing RM.

NOTE: This is where your local library files are stored!!! Make a copy/backup of the files in ..\Local Library before deleting everything.

I have seen rare instances when Windows updates itself it will lose access to the USERS directory. Since you have uninstalled and then reinstalled, this is probably not the issue. This issue would present more like RM stops working after a Windows update.

Are you listening to the Cab the same way you are listening to the Altos?

Hi freqs are directional. If you listen to the cab pointed at your ankles and the Altos pointed at your head, the Altos will sound very harsh since your profiles may be tuned to the cab on the floor. Meaning you wont hear the highs on the cab since the highs are all going at your knees/ankles so people tend to tune the profiles very bright/harsh. Once you have the Altos pointed at your head, you will hear ALL of the extra highs you added to the profile.

As Kellerblues said, most people here will suggest the OUTPUT menu Hi Cut filter.

I'd use just a touch of room reverb. Less is more, but it works great

I was going to say the same thing. If you worry about changing the tone too much (Chorus, pitch, etc) then add some really small room reverb. Whats great about the Kemper is you can EQ the verb settings so they emphasize the right part of your sound. And as musicmad said, less is more. You dont want the "I'm in a tube" or "in a toilet" setting :P

My take is LP will be modeled filters. The whole profiling process figures out how the tubes are reacting to the input. So there is no need for the Kemper to try and model those components.

The simplest thing to do is model the EQ controls from the real amp. This is important because those EQ values are not the same the Kemper uses now with its fixed value EQ.

Add to this the fact most amp filters interact with each other. Changing the mid or bass may actually change how the treble sounds. So boosting the 120 Hz (bass) on a graphic EQ will give you more bass around 120 Hz only. Changing the bass on an amp may also add some 900 Hz because you are altering the circuit and the bass components are part of the mid components. They feed into each other.

The current Kemper EQ can only give one type of EQ curve. The new EQs being added will give you a lot of alternatives. And they will be some what predictable if you know the amp. You could already get very close using the Studio EQ. But it would take some knowledge, testing, and the values will NOT interact like the real amp. With LP it is a one click operation.

Modelers try to nail down all of the gain stages and their interactions. I predict the Kemper will stick to the same single stage gain structure it has now. Just use more accurate EQs.

2. Reduce the low end before the gain stage. This is sort of what the DEFINITION does. I like to run an EQ as the first stomp.

Working on my VST, I found a good start for low cut is around 150 Hz (crunch) and move it up as the gain increases. Then add bass back after gain stages.