Posts by nmgold

Hi and thanks for the detailed suggestions! I did try a bit of this and that before reading this. I will try more, its already far better then where I stared. It does Sound like this is an issue for more then just me (glad to hear) and metal may be tougher (oddly) to get it sounding right w/ tight low end. I’m glad to hear some of these ideas and that there are some decent solutions. A lot of variables! I had an opportunity to get my hands on an UA Ox box and plugged my orange amp into it, selected a 4 x12 cab. Ribbon mic (modeled) some room and another mic (off access) and it sounded pretty legit. Having the front end be an actual live amp with tubes obv. Helps a lot but in this scenario you have only the amp sounds you own. All good, thanks everyone!

Cheers Neil

thanks for the help, I'll try that for sure, I did to some extent but more drastic may help more. I'm already rolling off the presence to like 10 o'clock and then adding a bit of "treble" to make it up. also tried the "Vintage" eq and did a lot of cuts but I think that EQ is too subtle to accomplish this?

In your screenshot I can see that Rig Manager is still downloading rigs from Rig Exchange (the spinning circle near the Rig Exchange folder). I've had issues in the past trying to update the Profiler while this process was still ongoing.

So please start Rig Manager and just let it do its job until you don't see anymore spinning circles before you start the update process.

If this doesn't help, you might have to update through a pendrive. Can you figure out what the currently installed firmware version is? You can find this info on the last page of the SYSTEM menu.

thanks for the advice, I did a restart and it successfully update and synced

Hey everybody,

So I bought the toaster, it's a marvel of engineering. I did a quick test at the end of the week (last week) with an EVH 5150 III profile played "unchained" direct into my Api board thought a Burl A/D/A and it sounded pretty insane (I had an hour to unbox plug it in and quickly do this). Listening more closely now there's a bit of that un-natural high mid stuff...

https://www.tiktok.com/@neilsh…is_from_webapp=v1&lang=en

But this past week I spent a ton of time going through profiles in rig manager by Amp type then googled a ton and tried M. Britt (all free stuff) Guido Bungenstock and a host of others. I found some decent sounding stuff but there seemed to be a general harshness in the top end (upper mids) coming out of the Kemper regardless.

I realize that the Kemper is a close mic'd version of the amps (profiled) and that adding too much gain and other interal Kemper fx can stretch the limits of a profile and/or the Kemper's "goodness". I ended up putting a Dangerous audio "BAX" eq right after my Profiler before it went into my API and that helped by cutting 3-5 db of top end. I also notice a lot of the profiles fall apart when you roll the volume down, they sound like they have an auto wah or a noise gate acting badly (when they are either "OFF" or totally removed).

I'm using a PRS custom 24 10 top gtr so it's not the guitar. Just for reference, I have an orange rockerverb 50 head that I was using with a 4 x 12 mesa cab and a Mesa dual rectifier that runs through an 80's 4 x 12 marshall cab prior to the kemper. Here's my Mesa dual Rec through the marshall mic'd w/ a 421 into an API but recorded in the room not through DAW (my CR doesn't have a computer in it for recording at the moment)

https://www.tiktok.com/@neilsh…is_from_webapp=v1&lang=en

I heard a shootout by "the captain" on youtube where the kemper won over the amp 6 out of 6 times! and I was sold and I had to get it. I am looking for a solid solution to record guitar stuff for social media (for fun) instead of blasting a track through some genelecs in my live room and balancing my live amps against them, then recording it into my phone with a shure iphone mic :rolleyes:. (long story why i'm not just mic'ing and recording them in my control room at this point) Anyway that's not an option right now so back to the kemper questions.

I'm monitoring through Genelec speakers in one room and ATC's in another, I have a back round in recording engineering so I'm aware of overloading A/D's or driving the output of the kemper too much or the input channel on my API too hot (although that often sounds really nice w/ a live mic on a crunchy amp tone). I've also tried a couple of distortion pedals on the input which help a bit (i'm trying to get good crunchy rhythm tones and lead tones) VH, Ozzy, Journey, Ac/Dc, Megadeth, Slipknot, Kansas etc. am I expecting too much compared to a tube amp and cab?

I've since bought 2 packs this weekend from michael britt (D pack and Pack 1) since i'm not at my studio i'm running the kemper into a fender delux reverb's "normal" channel at a balanced level and low volume just to practice and mess around. more testing on Monday! But, I am curious about other's experiences here? I've had my partners come in and listen and agreed about the high mid harshness so I don't think totally I'm crazy :wacko:. Is it all about the profiles you choose or buy? I really want this to work! I watched Rabea on a few different tutorials and comparisons they sound better to me.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I know there's a lot here so sorry and thanks in advance!

Best,

Neil

Thank you for the info! And nice to meet all of you. I did end up force quitting, restarting my Mac and kemper and it worked (took a bit to get finalized but there’s a lot of data!). Excited ?

Hey everybody, Just got the "toaster" yesterday, haven't had much time with it yet. This looks like a great community! I play heavier stuff more often then not and was pretty blow away by the EVH pre-loaded preset already! Been playing for ever, off and on. I had a short stint in a Canadian metal band in the 90's. Anyway, now I still work in music but mostly play guitar for fun (picked it back up a year ago). I've got an Orange rockerverb 50, an early 90's Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, Mesa 4 X 12 cab and a Marshall 4 x 12 cab, also a Fender Deluxe Reverb and tons of pedals and guitars. I'm excited to get the unit updated and to start loading up some other profiles from the site here and venture out to checking out some of the "paid" packs.

* I did download the latest "Rig Manager" onto my macbook pro today which took quite a while for the kemper to connect and be scanned and read. I then hooked up the Kemper via a usb cable and started to update (Kemper says "Updating profiler transferring software update to profiler") but it's just sitting there with barley any progress on my mac status bar, I tried canceling it to restart a couple of times but that didn't do anything. Seems like something is geeked out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, don't want to do a hard stop until I know that's ok.

thanks

Neil