Posts by dhodgson

Deadlight Studios' Diezel Herbert is among my top 5 high-gain profiles, a particular favorite being the profile "Dz Herbert Mk1 F 2", which has a cab that I've used all over the place. Back in 2016 they posted a particularly good free patch on here (search for "Free Ton(e)hammer Engl Extreme Aggression Profile!") that started me on the Deadlight collection bandwagon - I've been mining all their profiles ever since for gems.

If you want to try something radically different, check out Melda's new MCabinet impulse response creator. It's unlike any other plugin of its kind, its full capabilities are hard to describe in just a few sentences. Start with a single impulse, or a folder's worth and morph them into new cabinet types with custom resonances and EQ. Or, start from scratch and build something completely new and export new IR's from that. EQ to your heart's delight as well, it's a great deep-dive and on sale for half price at the moment.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MCabinet

Ownhammer usually provides the .kipr's already converted. They need to be copied over a Kemper-formatted USB stick in the "Shared" directory, whereupon they will show up as Cabinet options, but not profiles.

-djh

Well, well - I believe there were only two Hyperspace pedals made and supposedly very fragile, containing tape delays inside. Would love to know more!

As a former Trilian user, I'll say that after getting IK Multimedia's MODO BASS I never looked back. No samples, it's physically modelled - and way more realistic than anything else I've tried. What a great product - you can really close your eyes and feel the little natural variations, it's a bit scary actually.

Only a proof at the moment. I wonder what this "Music Metal Studies" program is like... I could go for that!

2017 | Collective contribution | PUB-ID: 2911601

"Influence of distortion on guitar chord structures: Acoustic effects and perceptual correlates"

2017 | Journal article | PUB-ID: 2911682

"My setup is hanging out about 500 watts - it's all distortion". Emergence, development, aesthetics, and intentions of the rock guitar sound"

2018 | Journal article | PUB-ID: 2911684

"Gear Acquisition Syndrome". Sociological, cultural, and musical aspects: A comparison of musicians and instruments.

2018 | Journal article | PUB-ID: 2911677

"When i stood in front of my Marshall, I can feel it rearranging my chromosomes": Electric guitar players' equipment and the rock genre.

2018 | Journal article | PUB-ID: 2911685

"Kemper profiling amplifier. An acoustic test of original and profile and consequences for music Producing"

https://pub.uni-bielefeld.de/r…cord?cql=department=10035

1. Does the 'Go Jimi Go' sound pretty awful to your ears in both the S Series and Telecaster recording I have done?

2. Does that profile sound good on your setup?

I didn't see 'Go Jimi Go' in the Rig Exchange, but I have a number of profiles that I consider battle-tested and looped them against your original DI. Even EQ preprocessing couldn't get the fuzztone character to completely disappear, so I knew I was dealing with a real tonal troublemaker.

Having said that, the single notes sounded better (as is often the case) but the chords had that Maestro Fuzztone FZ-1 character regardless of profile. Which is another thing about distortion - monophonic tones are easier to dial in than polyphonic ones for mathematical reasons, it's just the nature of the beast.

You should try profiling your old Mesa combo and see what happens, heh! Your Tele sounds like a Tele to me, or at least Tele-ish; that wouldn't be my first choice for a crunch guitar, but it's better than the first take. Again, have you tried the bridge pup on your S with the tone control full up?

Preordered in 2011, arrived 2/9/2012. Been in the shop twice - once for LED's, and once for either a CPU or memory swap. Kemper firmware 1.03 was 4,536,760 bytes back then... 8,103,168 bytes today. That's a lotta code. No planned obsolescence here!

Honestly, best music gear purchase I've ever made. It's been the gift that keeps on giving, just wish it had a VST3 version to go with it :)

Diamo - it was easy to reproduce the problems you were having. And yes, your Telecaster demo is a big step in the right direction. A general rule of amps is that dirty amps work better with pickups that sound midrangey, barky even - rather than full and sparkly in the clean guitar sense. There's a huge pickup and overdrive pedal industry that caters to this, and in regards to taming nasty, scritchy fizziness that too is a skill to be mastered. :)

Recommend starting with Glenn Fricker's channel on YouTube if you're starting from scratch and expand from there (Mixerman's books, Andy Sneap's forums, Rick Beato's channel etc.) - dirty guitars are a big subject.

Diamo,

I spent a good amount of time reamping your (original) DI and came to the same conclusions MonkeyMan did - it was extremely challenging to dial in a good dirty sound, largely due to the extraordinary bassiness of your (single coil middle, really?) pickup. Try again on the bridge and make sure your tone control is full up. Even as a Saber collector I've never heard anything quite like that! This is a problem that has to be addressed at the source :)

(P.S. I run the "Ibanez S Series Worldwide" group on Facebook, so I'm very very familiar with these guitars)

I snagged the whole bundle. Five profiles stood out for me; three from the Halo collection, one from the Aloha, and one from the Gala. 5 keepers out of 99 is a pretty high hit rate for me - in general only about 1 in 50 ends up making the cut, and by that I mean being better than something I already have.

And another reason a guitar goes out of tune is simply because too many use too thin string gauges. A saw a video on YT a luthier who work with ACDC and he said Stevie Young hit the strings very hard and therefore use 12-56 string gauge and they're playing in E standard. If you're a light picker then thinner string gauges are fine but if you pick little harder then you will benefit with heavier gauges and the strings will stay in tuner better and longer. I got a 11-49 set for d drop and have a 56 on low E on a Schecter BlackJack and damn, the guitar stays in tune better than any other non-evertune guitar I ever owned.

Just as an aside, it's key to note that the Evertune standard saddles are good enough for most people, but if you're detuned with light strings (or play in standard with unusually heavy strings, I imagine) you may have to spring for a lighter/heavier saddle set. It can be a little unsettling when you can't dial in Zone 2 correctly on one particular string, and while it only happened to me once the alternative in the short term might be to simply go for a different string gauge.

I have a couple of Evertune guitars, and have had a few in the past (and tried others...)

Neither of them stays in tune when putting new strings on. I always have to fine-tune a couple of cents. Not that I'm complaining about that, I rather do that once every two weeks than tune every songs / take. But I just don't believe this since I've had my hands on a number of Evertune guitars, where NONE works as you describe :huh:

Cederick,

I'm not going to argue about a couple of cents on a new pack of strings any more than I'd argue about a couple of cents on a settled-in pack of strings. There is a tremendous amount of compensation on tap, enough that some folks use the 3-zone tuning to start off a set with the low string in drop-tuning and then go straight to standard mid-set simply by giving their low tuner a couple of twists.

It either works, or it does not. And if it does not, you're playing too close to the edge of Zone 2/Zone 3, mate.

I'll chip in here just to add another Evertune owner. I absolutely love the device, and would have it standard on all my fixed-bridge guitars if not for the fact that it requires a fairly thick body to install and therefore I won't be seeing one on my favorite S-Series babies anytime soon. The "play" with regards to the sensitivity of bending in Zone 2 is completely up to you; the tradeoff between having generous resistance to pitch instability vs. "I can barely feel it" is yours to decide, and instantly tweakable. It's also pretty damn cool to be able to put on a new set of strings without ANY tuner whatsoever, and have it rock solid even before the strings are broken in.

If you keep an eye on Evertune.com, every so often they have free installation deals where they will install a [EDIT: Evertune] on an existing guitar (or heck, even more commonly - a new guitar) for no more than the cost of the item. They are also a reseller for a number of factory-installed models, it's worth checking out often.

All screamers profile accurately except for that precision drive since it has a built in gate.

I'd be careful about the word "all" there. There's a reason why the Tube Screamer is called out specifically in the Kemper docs.

From the Kemper Profiling Guide, pg. 8:

"Profiling with Effects in the Recording Chain

Many guitarists get their signature sound by combining their tube amp with distortion pedals, booster pedals,
    and equalizers/filters. If you want to, you can keep these in the signal chain during the profiling process — they
    will all be accurately profiled as a part of the reference amp sound. However, there are a few exceptions: some
    distortion pedals use a special design that cannot be profiled accurately, for instance the Tube Screamer™.

...Also, the gate in the Precision Drive can be turned off.

I have one of these and love love love it! There's been a few other attempts at multi-circuit overdrives (BOSS, VHT, Line6, JHS Bonsai) but the Elektron really -feels- like a multi-circuit pedal rather than one or two basic circuits with minor tweaks. And, like Vaughnfats said "it's almost impossible to make it sound bad." There's a lot of flavors on tap, and they're all useful!

The (active!) EQ controls are also super sensible - you can dial in lows and sweepable mids, which most overdrives don't allow. Even in Clean Boost mode these are real problem solvers.

My only gripes with the pedal are its size (large!) and the price. But it's worth it.