Posts by dhodgson

Chris,

I thought you were going to mention this 2003 patent: http://bit.ly/yBZtJF.

It's very algorithm-specific, but as far as I know it has yet to be turned into a commercial product. (And yes, I've been watching this one for a long time.)

-djh

I agree - the tones are fantabulous (and modern, but not like the chorused Hagar era), particularly near the end. Supposedly these tracks are way old, songwriting wise; you can certainly make out a bunch of stolen influences, particularly:

Honeybabysweetiedoll = Rainbow's "Gates of Babylon"
    Stay Frosty = "Ice Cream Man", as mentioned
    Beats Workin' = AC/DC's "Touch Too Much" (at least the intro.)

The production is absolutely mighty, (not that you can tell from the single, which is actually one of the weaker tracks IMHO) but there's a little bit of Chinese Democracy / Death Magnetic vibe to it. Meaning, a little bit over-thought and over-polished, and trying a little bit too hard to recreate something that would satisfy Roth-era fans. Wolfgang also shines on the bass for this album - he got his spotlight in the mix (but not Anthony's voice.). Alex's distinctive drum tone isn't there though, and I don't know why - he sounds fine, but his signature sound is gone IMHO.

-djh

Hey, team!

Been lurking here for a while, but since the Sweetwater ship landed today I'm now in a position to actually post. I'm clearing the calendar for next week just to get in bed with my new KPA, hot dang.

I've been at this amp-modeling thing for a while; back in the late 90's I co-wrote (with one of the Line6 guys) what was possibly the first commercial native DAW amp sim plugin, "Amp Sim" for Cakewalk. How things have changed! It's a great time to be alive for recording guitarists, and I still try to keep on top of all the AES papers 'n patents. I still have my original Flextone, which was my favorite piece of gear for many years. An ENGL e-570 pre with a Palmer sits on my desk and that's what I've been using of late but maybe it can be retired too. So, y'all know what I'm going to be profiling first there.

I'm greatly looking forward to being an early adopter here, and hope that Kemper stays in business for years to come.

Pro tip: Start selling your boutique gear on eBay now before the word gets out. Then in a couple years, buy it back after the bottom falls out of the market 8)

-djh