Posts by Bluesman

I don't believe in all the Voodoo about guitars and amps. And honestly for me there are not such huge differences between all the amps on the markets. Sure there are differences, but not like hot and cold.. The audience don't hear the difference in most cases. You can get a good tone with a Mesa, Marshall, TwoRocks, Fender . . .and all the stomp boxes. But most of the g.a.s. it is just the result of marketing and psychological things.
    I am pretty sure, that I don't touch a real amp anymore in my live. Why should I? To get back to the unpredictability? To the massive loudness? To unwanted weight lifting? Making music is not a technical thing in the first place. It is an emotional thing for me.
    The funny thing is, that most guitar player judge and compare tones from records. The only way to compare recorded tones is to compare with recorded tones or simmilar. That's the KPA.
    The KPA gives me the independence of the technically side. Just one box with all the content. No - no amps anymore.

I don't know if I am doing it wrong, but there is something what I really don't like.

Situation:
    I put a stomp box effect (Wah for instance) into a slot and know I want to load a preset for this particular effect. Using the browse knob I get the list of all presets and I have to scroll till the end. That's really anoying. Could it be possible to have only the Wah presets visible, because I obviously don't want a booster preset, because I installes a Wah into the slot. Hope you understand my point. Is there something I am doing wrong?

What a useless comment! I know it's beta. But should I keep it to myself and let others run into problems. I want to see your face, when shit like this happens to you at a gig. You would wish that somebody discovered this error before and Kemper has fixed it.
    It works good for you? Fine! But there could be others who could run into it. And yes - you are free to decide what to do and what not to do, because I don't give a sh. . .

I installed 3.1.1 again and here is what happened: After starting Rigmanager KPA loads all performances which were stored there from the day before. Showed the same error. 2 Slots corrupted (2 and 4).
    Then I closed Rigmanager and restarted KPA. Suddenly 1 Slot (4) came back to life but the other remained corrupted.
    Then restart again (while FCB connected- RM off) - no changes.
    Then restart again (while FCB off- RM off) - no changes - dialing in another performance and then back to the corrupted one using buttons of KPA - again both slots corrupted.

Here is a soundfile:
    Slot 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
    at the end I switched off the cabinet of the rig so you can hear what happens then. So I have to go back to the old firmware until it is solved.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It's crap. I recommend to wait. Big bug: When using and setting up a performance all of a sudden some of the rigs don't have speaker emulation anymore. All work is dumped. RigManager also has strange behavior. Slows down and seems to stop working for a while.
    So - better forget it and wait for another one. I will uninstall the new version and go back to the previous one. Hope I don't get new problems now.

But what happened??? Probably not speaker break in. First artificial / shitty, then transparent, powerful, impressive.
    Again, what happened in between?

Here is the answer:

A common problem when testing a new FRFR is the reference you have. If your older speaker was far to be linear, then good chance are that you tuned your tones wrongly to get a good result thru them. And when you try a better more linear speaker with the same profiles they will obviously sound bad.

Sorry folks,
    I have to readjust my comment about the Yamaha DBR-12. I had a gig tonight and I used one speaker as a monitor. Great transparent powerfull sound. Very impressive. Only thing, all my old favorite profiles don't work anymore. At least I have to EQ them differently.
    Another conclusion is, many of the so beloved MBritt profiles now working quite good. Especially the ones from Pack2. So forget what I wrote in previous posts.
    Only bad point - it was not so much a good exercise for my ears. My tinitus is beeping even more. Hope it goes away. Need some ear plugs in the future.

Yes, this is a nice example with a similar problem. I think guitar player who use the KPA are caring for a good sound for the audience. So do I. That's why I don't compensate (4khz) in my main out sound. The monitor will be adjusted like everybody else do. Just to my taste. But now that I am aware of the drop in my curve, I keep an eye also on the 4khz.

There is one thing that makes me smile a little bit. ^^ You talking about "my situation". I am pretty sure that many others here are in the exact same situation. I wood estimate at least 20-30 % of all users. If not more. Almost everybody who is past 40 will have a drop at 4khz and the ones who play often at loud levels anyway. Then the ones who hang out in discotheks a lot . . .etc.

It's a common thing. That's why I brought it up.

"Show me your audiogram, and I know what you hear!" :D

Hi Martin,
    ha ha - I have the same problem with my english. When it gets more sophisticated, I don't know how to put it right. On top of it, the written word can easy lead to misunderstandings, because you can not read the mood of somebody.
    The aproach with taking a reference for building own sounds is good, but if you don't use the same equipment (guitar, speaker etc.) it will be hard to dial it in like the original. I don't try to copy tones, even though there are many sounds I would like to call my own. I rather would like to have their playing technique :)

Listening to music with compensating the hearing loss is a mixed thing. Some music sounds more transparent to me. Some a little overdone. Depends on the music, I guess. But one thing is important to know. Our brain compensates the loss by itself. Al least it tries to do so. That's why we all are not aware of a hearing loss until it gets so bad that we are having difficulties in daily life.

I don't compensate music to my 4Khz loss. But if you describe a certain profile and I know that you have a massive loss at a specific frequency, it helps me to judge your comment. If I am satisfied with a sound and others say they don't like it, because it is too bright, I have a clue why.
    Regarding my example with MBritts profiles it may be possible, that the ones who found it dull, also have a nodge in their curce. If you can't see blue color as a painter you still can paint a blue ocean.
    I just find it interesting, to know that we discuss about sound, knowing that we are not talking about the same thing, if you look at it from an objective point. Objective would be a young ear with no freqency losses. Don't know how to describe it.

Just to avoid that I get misunderstood. It's not about MBritts profiles. I know that taste is a subjective thing. I wanted to point out, that when we discuss sound, we sometimes don't discuss the same thing. It's like we discuss a painting and for instance some like the blue color of the ocean and others think, what is he talking about? It's grey.
    I will not change my profiles going out to the front, but I will try to adjust the monitor on stage a little. And I will force everybody to play on lower levels so that my curve don't drop further. I tried ear plugs years ago, but I couldn't work with it.

Here is a very good hearing test for android: https://play.google.com/store/…=mobile.eaudiologia&hl=de

I followed the thread about MBritts profiles where everybody freaked out over the quality of the sounds. But some including me were disappointed and found the profiles way too dark and low mid pronounced. I was wondering how somebody could like the profiles. Surely, the used guitar and the monitoring equipment must be one key. But there could be another.

A few weeks I had an very painful outer ear infection. After it was gone a few problems still remained and I had to see the doctor again. He didn't find anything, so it must be something else. This time he did a heraing test. The results I already knew. I have a drop at 4000 hz.
    At the same time a bought myself 2 new active speaker (Yamaha DBR-12). The speaker sounded quite good with cd music, but the KPA really sucked.

Then I remembered my defective hearing and I tried to compensate the loss at 4000 hz by enhancing this frequency with an equalizer in the X slot. I boosted 4000 hz up to 8 db. You know what? I seem to like most of MBritts profiles.

What I want to point out with this thread is, that we try to compare a sound and comment on it, not knowing how others are able to hear it. The drop at 4000 hz is normal for people who are working in loud environments (many musician) and also for aging people.
    In order to judge the comments of others it may be helpful to know how the audiogram of somebody looks like.

There are very helpful hearing test apps for mobile phones. Maybe everybody should give it a try. I compared the test with the one from the doctor and they both are identical.

What do you think about it?