Posts by Bluesman

Why thinking of korean and chinese Tokais. They are not bad, I assume. But I would go for the vintage ones. You get a well crafted guitar with the side effect of gaining worth. They already start to sell as collectors items, but you are still able to find some for about 500 -700 Euros, depending on the model. You might know that Japan joined "CITES" later than USA. So they "legaly" used wood types that were already prohibited in other parts of the world.

I never would pay 3000 Euros for a 70ies Fender, which we hated by then. I rather would buy a correct Tokai copy of the same model. Much better!!! Just my opinion.

I had one for testing and liked it. Still bought the Matrix because of weight issues. Later I got two Alto active monitors which I use now. They do colours the sound but I don't care because they are light weight, powerful AND budget-priced.

I think a lot of people here are caught by the "too-many-options-trap". In current times we have tooooo many options, what makes it a nightmare to decide. Our decision has to be the optimum of all choices. People ask for even more features within the KPA. Another EQ here another fine tune there. For my opnion it is not neccesary. If somebody wants to play music, he already has a mighty tool.

Now if Matrix, Rocktron or whatever, they all are usable. Folks, just play music. If you can play, it sounds good, period, no matter what you use. If somebody would give you the "real" Hendrix sound he used back then, you probably were not able to play with it. Your playing plus some kind of a sound = Your tone. Thousands of profiles?? 10-20 are enough for my opinion.

I am using the same pedal. No problems. But one hint I want to give. The cable will break after a short while right there where it goes into the pedal. This is a common problem with this pedal. Even if you fix it, it will break again. I solved this problem by attaching a plug to the pedal instead of a fixed cable. This way I have the cable separate and can use any good quality stereo cable (angled instead of straight plug).
    You shoud try if there is something wrong with your cable already.

If you really consider to change your setup just because of the look, than I wood built an open speaker cab with no speaker inside and a top with no amp inside. Than you just put the Alto and your KPA inside. This way you can change the "ingrediences" to you taste and you have always the look of a real amp/cab. You also could make it foldable for transportation.

I am not using the noise gate for testing. I am recording a kind of smooth jazz sound. So I need long sustain with clean sounds. The noise gate cuts the notes too much. But I thing with clean sounds I shouldn't need it.

I just ried to connect the KPA with a 2-prong plug. No improvement. I suspect bad quality electricity here in Thailand. A lot of air conditions, fans and other stuff is running arround me. Not in my house. For testing I shut down everything.

That's bad, because now I can't use my KPA for the upcomming productions. I have to play though computer plugins now. What a mess. I have the best sounds in a box and cannot let it out. That's life.

Yesterday I had a recording session and I couldn't use my KPA because of noise problems. I used a cleanish profile and added the stomp box compressor. The noise sounded like a grounding problem but I am quite sure it is not the grounding. The cables are good and it is not the typcal single coil noise. I also tried it with humbuckers - no improvements. Firmware is the latest, but the one before did the same.

I know that a compressor can add (or enhance) noise. But it shouldn't be that bad. Also without compressor there is noise. It seems that there is to much unwanted noise in all presets. I am in thailand, and I know that the electricty supply is not the same as in Germany for instance. The studio is top notch professional. So what can i do? Any suggestions?

I am thinking of using a database solution. I store all my profiles on my harddisk/usb stick. Now I only need to create a database where I make a connection to the stored profile.kipr. Then I type in all informations about the profile, such as:
    Amp
    clean, crunch, gain
    Les Paul, Strat, Tele
    comments
    etc.

Now I can sort and seek what I like and export the files to my shared folder on my usb stick. Before I import I clean up the Kemper.

What do you think?

Problem solved!
    I used the original german power cords. Despite they fit in the thai plugs, they are not grounded then. I should have seen this in the first place. My fault. Who cares? It wooooorks and I can start to record now. Me and the other guitar player will use the KPA for this recording. I let you know when the record is finished.

Thanks so far for your help.