Posts by faraway

@Steinberger1967:

I had weird artefact noise when using the LD systems IEM. About 2-3 times each rehearsal, enough to ruin any fun. I've not done any further investigation, so I can not evaluate if the reason came from the product or from any other influence factor. But - my Shure and the singer's ANT system, both do not have any of that issues, also no drop outs.

Soundwise - I only did the comparison during rehearsal and ears are easy to be tricked - I guess that with the same headphones it will be hard to notice any difference in terms of noise, dynamics etc. in the context of a band.

To choose on sound units I try to listen to them for a longer period of time. If something bothers me, it`s not mine, it refers especially to the quality of DA converters. I did this test with Shure IEM & headphone some hours listening to HD music and I was happy after. I have not done the same with the ANT system, so I can not rate the system in that.

The features are quite comparable - if the ANT system would have been available at my time of purchase, I might have chosen it.

I myself tried a cheap LD Systems first, changed it for a Shure PM 300 and a Shure 535 headphone and I´m happy now - until now not a single incident. I know others that are happy with LD systems, I guess it`s also a matter of expectations. Our singer uses a rather cheap and fairly new system from a company called ANT, I tried it and - at least in rehearsal room - it was on par with my shure, for 30% of the price and headphones out of competition.

I just wanted to share my findings on the EMG 89 pickup. A couple of month ago, someone asked me about the pickups in the "show your latest guitar" threat.

I own a Cort G290 custom that I bought used about 6 month ago. It comes with a set of EMG, a 89 at the bridge and two SA single coils.

I bought the guitar because I was curious on the EMG pickups and I liked it so much that the Cort is currently the guitar I play most of the time.

The challenge comes with the 89. It is literally two pickups in one - a SA like single coil and a humbucker, inspired by the 85.

Both modes sound very authentic to me - unfortunately including the very, very different volume levels.

First, I lowered the 89 most distant to the strings. That gave me a still very hot humbucker in comparision to the single coils in middle and neck. I never used the bridge single coil though, too much of a volume drop.

Then I studied the wiring scheme of the 89 and found out that there is single coil output (white) and one humbucker output (blue). Switching is done by connecting one of them to the final output wire (orange). That´s quite different from any passive splitting scheme...

I disconnected the blue wire and added a pot . I then experimented the volume drop at different settings and found that 24 kohm is my resitor value of choice. I disconnected the pot and added two 47kohm resistors in parallel into the signal flow, to get the approximate value. (I guess a simple 22kohm would do the job too).

That´s does the trick. I raised the bridge pickup to a position a par with the other single coils and I have a very balanced and nice single coil strat tone. (If you never heard about the Cort G290, it has a swamp ash body with thick maple top, maple neck and rosewood fretboard - gorgeous!). Switching to humbucker now adds some volume and of course changes the sound from rocknroll to ROCKnROLL... ,-)

I have no clue why EMG does not level the two modes of the EMG 89 better, but anyhow, here´s a good practice to get over this...

I just found this link - while searching for Kemper and acoustic - seems to be some sientific study on the Kemper.

I wonder if anyone heard about this and what might be the the results...

Herbst, Jan, Reuter, Christoph, Czedik-Eysenberg, Isabella, Gressel, Eric, and Brümmer, Benjamin. “Kemper Profiling amplifier. An acoustic test of original and profile and consequences for music producing”.

https://pub.uni-bielefeld.de/record/2911685

I myself tried a cheap LD Systems first, changed it for a Shure PM 300 and a 535 headphone and I´m happy now. I know others that are happy with LD systems, I guess it`s also a matter of expectations. Our singer uses a rather cheap and failrly new ANT system, I tried it and - at least in rehearsal room - it was an par with my shure, for 30% of the price and headphones out of competition.

Technology moves from exotic to commodity and gets cheaper on that way, realizing scale and cost effects. If the linked product is such good one or simply cheap crap, only experience can tell. It is a labeled product, you can find reviews looking for Takstar Wpm-200.

If you really have to rely on your monitoring at gigs and you can afford it, I would recommend to take a look to the ANT systems...

Got mine 29.12.2011 - it's now 7 years that I use and love the Kemper!

Hope for may more great years with the best digital guitar box ever!

Same day delivery for me - I guess I have to keep up with the Joneses regarding my number of posts in this forum... ;)

B4 or B5 by any chance?

I bought a B5-FL (fretless) for practice 15 years ago and it's amazing for the price. Fantastic tone and super-playable.

The onboard preamp's powerful but a bit-noisy. IMHO there's no need to switch it on anyway as the bass can cover a lot of tonal territory without it.

The one I have owned was a short scale model, only passive- I guess I payed 150 EUR new. But the neck wood and shaping was just flawless. I guess compared to other brands Cort does not spend that much money for Marketing - less upcharge to the production costs

How hot are the pups compared to what you're used to?

The Humbucker is very hot. I‘ve adjusted the sensivity from my Wireless Transmitter all the way down to handle it. The drop to the single coils and the bridge in single mode is quite high, I‘m still experimenting with pickup adjustment to find a good balance. I also have copied my performances in the kemper because some rigs need eq adjustment. Overall, it‘s a quite different sound but I like the balanced frequency spectrum

Some years ago I had a cheap Cort Bass and I was very impressed on the wood quality. This is my 2nd Cort electric, swamp ash body, thick maple top (the picture not captured the 3D effect). Paid 400 Euro including a Plek fret treatment, the neck is perfect! Music is my hobby, I buy guitars also out of curiousity - this one because I wanted to experience the EMG pickups. Mission acomplished ?