Posts by Per

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

A lesser known cousin of the more famous wisteria, but also a plant, this one just makes everyone wistful. Anyhow, todays is more of an acoustic affair, I finally found a role for the Amp Pig bass profile though here, which I've always had trouble with, though I did have to tame the low end a little.

Going from smooth cruising to digging in works well Per.8)

Thanks, yeah I’m trying to get more dynamics in there in various ways as it’s something missing from my stuff currently but that I love in commercial tracks, so I have to work at it harder till I git gud or at least better than woefully bad.

Very cool, very energetic, with cool drive... invites me to jam around it. Thanks for sharing here and being every day a new source of inspiration :thumbup:8)

Thanks! Yeah it’s just a backing track, ready for anything to be on top, originally a vocal line. Feel free to share what you come up with! As I started out with the riff which is basic pentatonic I was playing with all sorts of chord changes underneath it but decided on the classic descent in the end as I could imagine a sound going with it, it keeps it as a blues melody though which makes it very inviting to improvise over.

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

Backing track for todays noodle, more of that 90's manchester feel again.

Hey chaps. Thanks for checking it out.

Thanks. Well, you’re not a dick that’s for sure and I was definitely tired and rushed when I was making it, but gonna have to disappoint as it wasn’t a late night production, more early evening. I think it’s the messiness 5/8 isn’t comfortable for me so I messed up the piano quite a bit and everything else from there of course fell over.

Nice one Per, I like the quiet and patient mood a lot. Again the piano gives something special. Well done :thumbup::)

Yeah, that was around my "A Quiet Moment" recording. And you were absolutely right there Monkey_Man - but I had mentioned it as well. And might be the case here as well just by Per's title of the tune. But definitely I would agree that this is music from after 11pm or even later 8o

Thank you, yeah I just sort of fell in love with the voicings as I was meandering around the keyboard, the piano came first. They were evocative enough for me to overcome my basic playing and give me a little bit of that Blue Note sound that I love from mid century jazz.

I kept anticipating Miles to come in.8)

Yeah the lack of a melody or main riff really highlighted my own inexperience and limitations. It sounds like a band nervously waiting for someone to take the lead.

Moderator Notice:

Just todays noodle. Brass driver for one of the guitars, the other was the a VSP Fender Champ profile.

Great new sound again Per, nice one! Actually it reminds me a bit of Moby's title song for the movies around the Jason Bourne character. That has a similar vibe. But Smiths and Marr are definitely references I would also mention. Well done, thanks for sharing :thumbup:8)

Hey thanks buddy. I'll have to check them out, it's been a while since I listened to any Moby, I remember seeing him at V Festival back in the day, good times!

Geesh Per, you are prolific in your writing, some great ideas too. I'm lucky to get even one per couple of MONTHs at best and only if I'm totally focussed with nothing else to do.

:thumbup:

Why thank you! I find that for me it comes easier if I'm not being too precious about what I'm doing. I'm more productive with ideas if I just make myself to do something, anything at all every day even if I'm not feeling inspired, even if it's rubbish, warts and all style, it just needs to be something. Each time I'm maybe learning a little thing how to do it better/faster, or get the sound I'm after a tiny bit better, or what not to do too. Mistakes are my friends, failure is a good thing, that's my mindset with this. Sorts like a writer just doing stream of consciousness for a page or two before they actually get writing to clear out the cobwebs. Who knows, eventually I'll get to the point where I might actually produce something worthwhile. :)

Thanks Monkey_Man , I was going for that late 80's lonely city Smiths and Suede guitar sound. Bernard was a huge inspiration for me picking up the guitar in the first place, and obviously Mick was a big influence on Marr and Butler too so I'm not surprised.

Moderator Notice:

Something more soundtrack like today. It's been one of those kinds of days and I didn't think I'd actually find time to do this today, but somehow snuck it in.

Hey thanks for checking it out guys.

A little more soulful is right on! Great tone man!

Thanks, in this case Michael Britt's Dr X Crash profile from the RE.

Levon Helm could have worked with you on this one. Great Feel Per.

I'm humbled that you'd say that, great artist. As I was knocking it out I was thinking about those slow 60's/70's piano heavy soul backing tracks with those Chicago and Detroit sounds, Chi-Lites, Commodores etc and shamefully didn't even stop to consider the country side which also had awesome deep soulful sounds we can all relate to right now.

Yup, brilliant, man! 8):thumbup:

Thanks brother!

Yozr great feel for so many different styles of music is so impressive man. Awesome. Nice playing. And I like the piano and the organ a lot. So relaxed :thumbup:8)

Hey thanks, that's a great compliment. I'm trying to push myself to get better and try out more things, I still have a long way to go to nail even the basics of that blues and soul playing that sounds so effortless on those classic records so it's quite intimidating to even try. I also am a big fan of the phenomenal pianists on those old tracks and the feel they put in so I'm glad that my sham playing didn't get in the way too much here.

Great soulful track Per :) Time to play some soul indeed !

Hey thanks there buddy. Indeed if ever there were a good time for it, it's now.

Moderator Notice:

Todays noodle, something a little more soulful. I'm not sure I like what Ozone does to things though, just feels like it always wants to push the treble and compression way the heck up, might start skipping it.

Thanks for checking it out guys.

Monkey_Man - You wouldn't want my attempt at Anthony Newley/Bowie style vocals up any higher than that! But yeah the guitar is too high, always hard to make judgement calls during noodling not to mention I didn't spend time listening to any source it was just rough memories. Makes me think sometimes I should do the noodle tracking the day before then the mix the next day at the start before doing the next noodle. Would mean knocking out two noodles sometime.

waraba - Yeah it's a great tone. The profile is called Yeti 50 Plex Max+KokoMid and in the general rig exchange, I just randomly scroll through and double click on stuff that has roughly the distortion level I need till I find something that fits usually, this was one I also used the day before. It has a cocked wah in there which helps.

deadman42 - Heh thanks, no I was thinking more the insanely messy playing. This time partially because I just knocked out all the guitar and bass without a drum track behind things and then added one in showing up all sorts of messy playing but also as the drum I found needed quite a heavy swing to sound right but then the rest wasn't with such swing so.... mess. In my defense I was pretty rushed to try and get it done late in the evening due to my computer HD having a breakdown earlier, but really there's no excuse for such sloppy playing.

Moderator Notice:

Todays noodle for some reason thinking about Bowie and Mick, maybe just the profile that i still had on the kemper when I picked it up had that cool nasal fuzzy tone. So no shred nonsense to worry about today. Going for that slightly messy live band and mellotron full 70's sound.