Posts by Per

I would like to add that I’d love to see Kemper build some fuzz stomps that exhibit this behavior and even the amps could do with this love, as right now they tend to quieten in quite a linear fashion no change to the harmonic or frequency content, while real amps also exhibit 5his same interplay often to a lesser extent but it’s there, especially on class A amps, when you turn down the gain on the amp vs on the guitar behave quite differently and often have quite a difference in the frequency makeup.

Sounds great, I’m away from my Kemper in Germany right now but I would approach it by using a treble booster and maybe a touch more amp compression. You can also use presence on the amp to help here as it’s enhancing the harmonic content of the signal, and don’t forget to use the neck pickup!

I stuck on 7 for the longest time after the Vista fiasco, but 10 really is an improvement with one major caveat - the default settings and installed components suck, you have to disable so much stuff out of the gate for privacy and reduction in bloat and to ensure you don't get an OS with popup ad's, or have it auto-install stuff you don't want. That's something you only need to do the once at least, but you really shouldn't have to in 2019, it's not back in the early 2000's with linux distro's that were filled with gigabytes of minesweeper variations and zero configuration out of the box.

Great piezo sound there waraba ! Even I'm tempted :) It's definitely nice to not have to worry about hiss and background noise. I should experiment with compression and noise gating on the acoustic. I find compression quite a difficult effect to get right, often it "breathes" when you don't want, or feels great when you play but makes things sound congested (for want of a better word) when you listen back.

I'm very jealous of your setup, I doubt a Hofner is in my future but I'm going to keep on working on those bass tones with the Kemper and what I've got (Yamaha 424x). I suspect my technique more than the instrument is to blame for my sound though, I couldn't really justify upgrading even if I had the money, at least till I've got that down a lot better.

Thanks guys.

For this track I opted for a more modern pristine wide and less bass driven sound, with more of the fretboard mic, wrong choice I take it? Heh.

The Kemper isn’t part of my acoustic guitar signal chain currently. I could try reamping the recorded tracks through it via S/PDIF, the only slight sticky thing there is Reason may not have the routing options so I’d probably have to do it in another DAW. What do the Kemper profiles bring? It may be easier for me to simply add compression/limiting and eq in Reason if that’s all.

Right now it goes two Tascam stick mics at twelfth fret and lower horn into the audio interface (UAD) via its Helios pre amp emulation because I like its sound and it has phantom power that the mics require.

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

The journey continues as I attempt to get a handle down on acoustic guitar and bass, just a very short noodle, still very much lost in early 70's soundscapes.

Cool, I'll check that out. I've heard good things from others about that too, though for now I'll have to stick within my current budget of zilch so just the mic's I already own. My biggest issue I feel is in my mixing inability and getting a good woody bass sound. The acoustic sound itself is roughly where I'd like it to be, I'm aiming for 70's vibe rather than the modern pristine sound I had initially which sounded a little harsh to my ears.

And redid the drums a little as I wasn't happy with them... though now they're a little more generic. Hmm. Feel like I need a crash course in creative drum sounds.

Ok, so what I've found is that by using a cocked wah along with a notch eq at 125hz to reduce a wolf note at B and a little multi-band eq and hi-pass I can get much closer to that 60's bass sound. However I now face the problem that the acoustic guitar still sounds like ass, so now to learn about micing there.

Ok, so some digging which might be of help to you, apparently according to this gearslutz thread on Moon Safari it's a Hofner vintage bass, not a P-Bass (similar to Macca's) https://www.gearslutz.com/boar…rs-moon-safari-album.html

I only have a Yamaha which has pickups in both J and P configurations, so I'll have to find my own way to a good bass sound with that and the Kemper. I'm beginning to think that a little EQ before the amp block might be required to get that upper end clarity and vintage twang for want of a better word. I'm also a big fan of that really woody sounding Le Orme's bass especially on Ad Gloriam, and of course the many good bass sounds on Serge Gainsboroughs 60's tracks. I'm hoping it's possible to get those sounds without either a Hofner or Ricky.

Thanks for checking it out! Yes I like Air and for sure I was going for some of that vibe along with Zero7, Jean-Jacques Perrey, U.N.K.L.E. , Mercury Rev, South etc. in this one. I should go back and listen to how they got their sounds to blend well.

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

Trip-hop backing track clearly missing it's vocals, but I ended up spending forever trying to balance the bass and acoustic guitar sounds (and still failed miserably). Back to the drawing board!

edit - Re-tracked the bass and acoustic to try and get a better sound/balance between them.

Heh thanks, I have taken to slapping on a bit of UAD Plate verb on the bus and their Oxide tape plugin too which sounds quite nice and might helps with the sheen and cohesion a little?

Anyhow, this sort of thing is very simple, I can knock out hours of it and it's easy, but anything else I find very hard which is probably why I avoid this and keep on working at that other stuff mostly and rarely revisiting this sort of sound or track. I am literally the worst kind of competitive asshole person because I really hate not being good at something, even if it means subjecting my wife to the torture of many hours of really terrible attempts at music.

Haha, oh yes indeed, I think I've got it down to a tee for the ultimate Grammy's speech :

Walks up in super tacky designer 80's Run DMC puffer jacket so overpuffed that people thought I was dressed as Bibendum and so inappropriately covered in bling that Mr T would blush, despite being up for an award for nothing at all related to any club or urban genre, ideally something extremely classical and worthy. Waits for applause to end while staring around room arrogantly.
    "Peace!"

Drops mic.

Leaves stage to huge Hollywood afterparty with massive entourage somehow losing award statuette along the way possibly even before leaving the stage. Goes back to normal life.

What do you think? I'm pretty sure I'm leaving minimal room for Kanye interruptions there.

Hey there guys, thanks for checking it out!

Monkey_Man - These were synths in Reason so the new bass synth they just released, umpf retro beats, a touch of respire, and some other synth I can't remember the name of right now for the gated sound. I have quite a few synths in the rack and I never have time to really learn them so I tend to use a lot of preset tones with minor tweaks.

Moderator Notice:

Some more ionosphere verb content, going back to some more trancey old skool roots here.

Wait a second, you said you made your own profiles of sounds that you liked. And you weren’t happy with the results I take it.

How did you compare the profile to the source sound? Can we hear recordings of both, maybe the same signal reamped through both?