Posts by Per

Thanks BayouTexan . I saved up and bought the Martin in the end, so that's an instrument worth roughly 100x the microphones it's recorded with :D. Just goes to show, if you throw money and zero talent at a problem is just sort of goes away...

ELP.... Emerson, Lake, Palmer? I think the only track of theirs I know is Lucky Man.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In deference to Monkey_Man this one has zero processing (beyond a single reverb on master bus, and the Helios Type 69 pre-amp emulation on the inputs of the Apollo for the mics). So no compression, maximizer, limiter, tape, autotune, EQ or anything else. The vocal mic is a very nice Vanguard V13 gen2, not that it can help me, the acoustic mics don't do badly considering the pair cost me $40 (Tascam stick mics).

Thanks deadman42 ! Oh I’m sure it’s many things. I’m quite happy with the Bobby Gentry/Nick Drake style strings arrangement at the end. A lot of bands in the 90s did that fade out to acoustic instruments thing. I tried to get some Who like energy in there too on the cleanish crunchy chords, and there’s a few nods to the stylings of Bodast in there too in the solo parts.

Too-squashed. Terrible. Can't listen to it. :D

God *d(@z it!! :D

Thanks for checking it out Monkey_Man , I’d throw out and redo a bunch of the very basic lyrics if I had to revisit it, but I don’t want to be spending too long on these noodles each day.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And so we go on another one. As usual nothing is where I wanted it to be and really nothing like the influences but at least it got done. I did indulge myself with a maximizer on the master bus this time. Compressors on the vocals and bass, you will have to forgive me Monkey_Man

Bass I tried to copy Entwistle's approach of low gain amp lo passed and high gain amp high passed, but I had to play it twice as re-amping is a PITA and the Kemper doesn't offer dual amps (I wanted amp gain sounds not stomp sounds).

Thanks Franjoe30 !

Yeah Monkey_Man its just very loud overall and there’s just so much distortion, I think what’s happening is multiple things, during the chorus because those vocals are so high in the mix and so saturated and it’s such a primitive straight up digital clipping complete with aliasing saturation that it’s like adding every frequency to the sound like white noise and logically as you approach 50% mix (this isn’t that high, but it is quite high) any other waveform will simply lose its coherence completely and not be able to be accurately reconstructed by the sinc reconstruction filter on the other side. You definitely hear it’s the treble end that goes first. The next thing I think is simple limiting, the final UAD tape has a hot output it peaks at just over 0/-12dB on Reason’s master output during the chorus sections, that gives the impression there’s still 12dB of headroom but it!s possible that anything over that actually gets limited in some way during export and the speed off the transients was too much for the meter to accurately display resulting in a more smashed sound. Finally I think the ocean way plugin can do some very odd things to the sound, it’s a pretty good simulation of a room and like I said I had to cut the bass guitar going in because it tried to swamp everything else out like a boomy old speaker, I think some of that is also happening when the vocals kick in but I didn’t take the same steps with them.

LOL, if only, he also he had great songwriting (or song-stealing if you believe Lady Joni) skills, and solid networking talents too.

In this one case I’m going to disagree with you. I think you might be getting that impression from the vocals which are smashed the crud out of going through Reason’s scream distortion unit which is just nasty clipping Monkey_Man (and pushed really high in the mix along with their delay) as the only compressor in this track is a leveler on the bass guitar (I did try one on the master bus but didn’t like the result). There’s a lot of fuzz though too, the middle guitar has the Octavia fuzz effect and the bass is using the sabotage profile so is offers no respite from gain.

The gain staging on the master bus is all green with no smashing anywhere as you can see from the waveform Master bus is UAD Ocean way (I had to cull some bass going into it because it creates quite a smeary mess otherwise). That goes into the Arturia tape sim which normally is a strong effect but here is a dialed back version of its “analog warmth” preset to just subtly add a little warble. Then that goes into the UAD 700 tape sim, adjusted so the input gain is low and the needle just peaks in red now and then but it’s output is high.

A punk song about role models today