Posts by Per

No worries, always good to get what other people are hearing :)

The drums are just Reason Rex loops and MIDI instruments (and loops) chopped up a little. It's not really complex stuff though I do like to throw on the good old Pulveriser compressor for it's brutal distortion on drums (I'm a fan of lo-fi drums).

Thanks @Monkey_Man, my aim here was to try and blow out the cobwebs, though honestly it's just too loud right now but my own crapmac ran out of processing power before I could do anything about it, the song simply no longer plays I can only bounce it down!

Honestly with the harmonizer going full pelt I don't really perceive the pitchiness on those notes (I mean it's all pitchy to me). You're probably right but the guitar is within a cent or two in tune and it's just 2nd fret A. There's probably good reason for this with the temperament of a guitar vs the harmonizer probably being even temperament, I just don't let it bother me that much anymore, and hey it's not like I'll ever be called on babysit anyone else' musical puppies so all's good :D

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Quick messing with the harmonizer and a few preset patches, fun stuff. Then my computer died and I couldn't mix it :(.

As mentioned many times on the forum and in the manual the Kemper will only do preamp distortion, but you know what I actually like certain power amp distortions. I'd like the Kemper to overcome this limitation and support "dimeing" the power amp, even if it means having to tell the Kemper this is what's going on manually prior to profiling.

The "loudness" of a profile is a combination of compression and frequency response (and how humans perceive loudness).

Many of the commercial profiles utilize a studio EQ in the x slot to help sweeten the tone, boosting that treble slightly (be careful, treble is addictive), they also may use a compressor either within the amp block or as a stomp before, and finally may even use a treble booster stomp in front.

Go to your favorite commercial profiles and coy the stomps over first to see what's going on. And how that affects things. Next check out using different cabs, you may prefer to use a cab from a commercial profile with your own amp.

Finally they may just have set the output or amp volume to be louder! You want to balance the overall loudness between profiles and rather than turning things up on the Kemper turn them up on your poweramp. That's something that a lot of people don't get with amp sims, they just play em quieter and then wonder why they're not getting the same resonance and feedback. So, erm, protect your ears obviously, but turn it up!

I like the idea of a "bigger text" option actually, but globally, not just on Output. Maybe it could be a mode that hides the middle content apart from page number and makes all the bottom dial controls full height with just a thin "menu" bar for the top button controls. Or it could just overlay the value in huge font as you manipulate temporarily.

I'm assuming this is directed at me, and if so, it is just more baseless noise and fabricated statements, along with some of the other few KPA cult members on the forum who continue to distract, divert, etc.
    I have profiled a number of times and compared the KPA to tracks done with that same setup direct from amp. The KPA has the same problems - the very same tonal shortcomings repeatedly discussed - that are rasp, congestion, thin notes and generally un-natural sounding tone/gain in comparison to a real amp. It varies depending on circumstance, sometimes almost close other times terrible Same results confirmed by Dimi, by Sinimx, and many other customers who continue to come onto this forum and raise the very same concerns. And as have some commercial profile makers I've spoke to off the record, as well as highly respected associates of mine in the industry.

I don't know what your intention is, but it certainly doesn't appear interested in helping the KPA meet up to it's marketing hype. Some of us wish to see the KPA improved rather than continue to frustrate current and future customers.

Sonic

Sure it's directed at you if you want. Though actually the previous post was directed at you, the next one was an explanation of why it's not some "tiresome" thing.

You seek to hijack every thread because as I recall your golden ears believe that a Pod 2.0 is better than a Kemper at sounding like your amps. You must have some damn shitty amps in dire need of service is all I can say.

You're fast becoming a troll. When you were posting about your specific experiences then it made sense, I was bang along side supporting you and trying to help you either resolve your issues or get Kemper to fix their shit. Now though you're just polluting. The OP has said nothing to indicate that he encounters your personal issues, for you it's a crusade to wheedle your way into every thread and jump up and down with faux indignation, then call other people trolls for trying to un-hijack the threads and help each other get the most out of their purchase. Which is not some cheap little thing.

@Mods can we have a sticky at the top of the forums that reads "SAVE TIME : Sonic thinks the Pod 2.0 sounds better than the Kemper and doesn't want any help, just attention". Because honestly you're a damn toxin on the forum at this point. I want the Kemper to be better than it is, but you're going about it in the most obnoxious wrong headed way possible, the way that makes me think "Hey this guy doesn't want what I want at all, he doesn't actually want the Kemper to be better, he just wants to vent his spleen. He just might actually want the Kemper to be worse so that he has some form of validation".

Man, you spooked me. I was actually rehearsing this for last 30 minutes or so, need to play it tomorrow :)
    OP, do profile your own amp and see for yourself, its really good fun and will give you a lot of answers immediately. Otherwise, I think Royer and a 57 would be good idea, assuming you can rent a room/preamps for the remaining 600. The deal with profiles is that they carry engineer sound (very faithfully) first and foremost. You may like it or not.

Good song! :D

Let me out it another way. If you haven't compared the sound of the actual amp on record to the profile then you're just basing your judgements off of assumptions and some other engineers ideas about what good amp tone might be.

It's not your fault, I mean how could you know what it's meant to sound or react like? It would be impossible to do that. It is however your fault for having the option and choosing to not do this, then feeling the need to opine without experience. You lack the point of reference to make assertions about how accurate the Kemper is or is not.

You can of course say you don't like a tone, but so what? What's that got to do with how well the Kemper does its job? Thats like me saying I don't like the guitar tone in a Johnny Cash record, it's all twangy, too much mids and got no sustain, therefore it's the fault of the tape or vinyl which must be doing a bad job of reproducing what the microphone heard.

It doesn't solve any problems in tone, it solves the problem in your head.

It's only tiresome if you don't like the idea of putting in a little effort, or dislike something that breaks the narrative you have going on.

Go do it first, then come back and talk about what you "hear". Otherwise it's just uninformed gibberish filling up the forums. The Kemper has faults believe me, but it's more useful to actually know what they actually are than to bark at the moon.

Again, go and profile your own amps! That's what this unit is for and until you do you will never be convinced that the Kemper actually sounds like a real amp.

You need to not just profile, but spend time refining and the doing real A/B via re-amp of a clean track from your daw so you can really hear the recorded tone of both your amp and the Kemper side by side (the Kemper makes for a pretty decent reamp box too btw).

The process is simple once you understand it (although it could be a lot simpler if Kemper would institute my idea for using looping in the profiling A/B section). Profile and leave the Kemper in profiling A/B mode but set its input to SPDIF or whatever inout you can sent to from your sound card, in your DAW record an unprocessed guitar riff, change the routing in your sound card/DAW to send to the Kemper from your clean track and return to your new tracks (I used SPDIF for this) Then record A on one track, press the switch in the Kemper and record B on another. Now disable the send (and clean track) and just switch solo the two recorded tracks.

Go try this before opining any further. You will suddenly find all those profiles you thought were unusable are magically useable now. Trust me, I went through the same process when I first got my Kemper, did a whole load of foot in mouth and can say with authority (and I'm not trying to be rude) basically - until you do your own profiling, you dont know squat.

It's important to remember that the Kemper as it is now isn't the end point, it's one step along the path towards the end goal of affordable and accurate emulation of classic amps.

There will be other tools out there, there will be updates to the Kemper itself.

For me the current state of the Kemper is fantastic for the studio and all the reasons PETERFR. stated. But it's not there in other ways. There's no natural room sound/verb, when played through a guitar cab the sound seems to lack the headroom and poke of a real amp which seems to distort differently with different frequencies and have a different sort of "bloom" (sag) effect, especially Fender amps have even without a reverb a certain sound that the Kemper doesn't, almost like they emphasis that neck pickup position sound, to me on clean the Kemper just sounds like different EQ pedals on a dry signal, or maybe going through a not very lively amp more geared for high gain, you all know the ones where lead is amazing, but clean is just dull as dishwater. Some amps have a sort of plosive woofiness the Kemper can't do either, a breathy transient.

Some of it may be just those few precious dB during transients where a real amp peaks with substantially higher levels than it's sustained output, some of it may just be the sag modeling needs some refinement, there could be a million reasons. But the Kemper isn't there yet for me in non studio situations, and it could do with some improvements when it comes to clean sounds and it's rectifying emulation IMO.

It's still the best piece of guitar kit I ever bought though. No regrets.

Finally got the vocals from Flavolous to add in here as well as some updated vocals from Wickline (I think that he may want to do another revision there), also did some tightening up on the guitars and drums.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The bean pod 2.0 was incredibly highly compressed, very basic and sounded nothing at all like a Marshall. A hot fizzy digital honky comb filtered mess, yes, but not a real amp tone. That doesn't mean it couldn't sound "good" in the hands of a decent player, or that you couldn't use the tone creatively.

If you have grown up with an early generation pod thinking that this was good tone rather than with real amps as your yardstick, then you won't get joy from a Kemper because it sounds like real amps, has lower latency, but also much lower compression which means it won't give you that tone for legato without you actually adding in a ton of compression yourself and possibly a treble booster, just like a real amp.

Some people actively want a digital tone. There's nothing wrong with that, it's an interesting sound, but it's exactly what the Kemper is trying to get away from.

Its just possible that the algorithm the Kemper uses isn't perfect, there could be slight flaws. We know from the patent that it's a frequency bookended waveshaper, if the waveshaper is bringing its own color into the mix with definition then the frequency modifiers may not be correctly compensating for this, hence the deviation. Of course it could be any number of other things too, even a limitation, but let's hope not and that it can be tracked and fixed, if nothing else so that this thread can die and we can go back to lusting after new reverbs.