Posts by Per

Hey @drog, thanks. I assume you mean in what could be described as the verse sections? That would mean I'd have to actually record a clean guitar in there! There's only three tracks of guitar, all three highly saturated gain : a brittle crisp gain on the right with a more tight style, a more muddy high gain on the left playing exactly the same but messier with lots of harmonics, and then in the center every so often a couple of pinched harmonic notes, again high gain.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

More of a standard melodic grunge backing track this time. Use a number of Ola profiles for this one.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Quick sketch, more towards the brittle jangly guitars end of things. Horrible vox, but a few ideas I had knocking around this afternoon.

Because despite the hype merged profiles don't sound the same as the studio versions, the studio ones sound more accurate to the miced tone.

That and the extra effort involved, it's important for someone using an actual guitar cab to monitor, but otherwise it's a bit niche. I'm sure more people are hearing their Kemper through flat response style speakers, whether in a studio, via a wedge monitor, items, PA etc, in those situations the merged profiles don't add anything and in fact only deviate from the source a hit further.

As long as you don't say it's a Amp X, I don't see how they could get you on that score though.

That would make the search on the rig exchange completely useless. It also wouldn't be any consolation to those guys selling profiles, right now you can get a Marshall or DrZ or any number of others from multiple sellers, each doing their own take on what they think is the best possible micing technique and recorded sound of each amp, maybe some of them will be much better than the ones the manufacturers themselves create, but they'll have a really hard time selling them and recording what was actually used to make the profile. Most people buying commercial profiles want a specific amp, hard to sell that if you can't talk about what specific amp is used.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the "live" aspect. I had no assumption that the video showed anything other than a couple of photos. Possibly do you mean when talking about "Studio" vs "Merged" profiles? Merged profiles are not any more live than Studio profiles, they are just created a different way.

The manual stuff is important. Right now it may just be a language thing, perhaps you've got this covered and haven't made it clear in your post, but if you don't use a merged profile to compare to the DI out from an amp but use a studio profile then the result can be substantially different. If you're unaware that these options exist but are demonstrating that there are differences in sound between the amp block of a studio profile and the DI of a real amp then all you're doing is demonstrating what everyone already knows and the reason why merged profiles exist in the first place. It's not a revelation or showing a problem, it's a demonstration of PEBKAC in action.

So to eliminate misunderstanding :

Is the profile a merged (made using a DI for the amp block portion, and separate profile for the cab section), or studio (traditional profile all done in one go via a mic only)?

Does the Kemper have the cab block enabled?

Are both going through the same cab emulation in the daw?

You can disable the Apollos preamps and set them to line in's from the Console app with a pad, then on the Kempers' own output section you can simply lower the volume.

Just out of curiosity, the Master LED on the front of your Kemper isn't showing any clipping right?

I've run my KPA directly both ways into my Apollo without any problem so you shouldn't need any additional cables or doodads. Just be sure you're not using the monitor outs from a powered kemper just the main (non-poweramp driven) outs.

It was an edit, originally I posted about the process.

Here's the thing, at least in the beginning part you're comparing two different cabs according to your description. If you're using a DI then there should be no cab at all on the Kemper side, that whole tab should be disabled, both need to go through the same cab, otherwise it's apples and oranges, a cab taken from a real amp vs some model found elsewhere.

If you're comparing a Studio profile's amp separation with the real DI then yes of course there are differences, that's exactly why Kemper created Merged profiles, so you can profile the DI absolutely accurately because otherwise the Studio DI was only an algorithmic extrapolation of what the split between cab + poweramp and preamp actually were.

I'm just not sure what this is meant to prove except that someone didn't read the manual.

I wonder what will happen when CK and team release the update with the verbs. If they include some sort of IR verb (and capturing during profiling) then I suspect all of this will come to a close as I really think what people are hearing is the difference between a totally dry no verb track and one with that tiny bit of room sound, the natural and subtle "comb filtering" that happens from reflected sound being that "phase issue" some hear.

Of course if CK did that they he'd have difficulties because I'm not sure he could ramp up production enough to fulfill all the studios that would just want the KPA for it's room/verb "profiling" capabilities. But hey he'd prolly become crazy rich (and rightly so) and we'd all have nothing else to kvetch about... so don't do it CK! Preserve the community! You don't want this place to turn into a silent wasteland of guitarists too busy to chat to each other, and only able to complain about Fender and Gibsons build quality these days....

If you're experiencing a greater sensitivity to e.g. fret buzz then that's down to how the patch is working. High levels of compression would account for this, check the amp block compression and that you're not e.g. having a boost in front of the amp block from a green scream or a compressor.

It's entirely possible you're raising gain rather than raising volume, the classic bedroom guitarists problem. It doesn't sound loud enough so they dime the distortion because it fills out the frequencies and makes things sound bigger, more full, but distortion works clipping and creating natural compression. If you're doing this then you need to turn up your speakers and turn down the gain. Then you need to play with your input sens settings on the Kemper, theyr'e designed to balance volume between clean and dirty signals, contrary to how a real amp works where changing gain changes volume, the Kemper can via those two controls be made to keep volume, or even get quieter. Poorly adjusted they could result in an overtly lively amp response, too much sensitivity for a guitarist used more to a Marshall rather than a Mesa.

There are a couple of reasons to go via analog, you may already have something else connected to your spdif, you may not be running projects at 44.1k, and/or you may have your own studio word clock and want everything clocked to that instead of the Kemper.

Otherwise I'd recommend spdif over analog, it frees up analog inputs, is only going to be more pristine and true to source, and theoretically the removal of a DA and AD conversion could slightly reduce the latency.