Posts by Per

Regardless of how good the Kemper is I think over that timespan it's more a question of whether it'll last. It's a lot easier to fix an old handwired tube amp when that goes wrong long after they stopped manufacturing it.

I've found the following things are critical.

1) You want the input gain/return volume to be at 0.0 on the Kemper, futzing with this or other settings to anythign other than noon seems to result in poorer profiles. SO just adjust gain outside of the unit.

2) How are you playing this back? If it's through a mesa amp FX loop you may have issues as they run in parallel with a blend unlike most other FX send/returns on amps, which means you always have the original sound coming through too to a certian extent (minimum 10% of the signal I believe). Also how are you recording to compare the signals?

3) Two short sessions followed by a long, as in at least 10 minutes refining session seems to do it for me.

4) Remember that more volume at the amp end is always better when it comes to noise floor, but compromises dynamics as it begins to add compression, balancing this is a must.

5) Sometimes you have to give up on the first profile you do and just move on and start profiling all over again, I'm not sure why this is (maybe a bug in the KPA), but the first time can sometimes just muck up, the subsequent profile you make by simply pressing the new profile button rather than switching the chickenhead switch back and forth from profiling mode (important that you don't do this) will be much closer. However I only do that the once, if the second profile fails then I just continue refining.

6) What you play during refining matters. If you have large gaps of silence then it will adversely affect the profile, so play solidly. Play a range of things, chug chords, palm mutes, open chords all over the neck, lead lines etc. Just playing one thing has never worked for me, play both light and heavy rather than all just hammering the guitar in a frenzied attempt to break the strings, unless your aim is purely to record a cover of helter skelter of course.

7) Even though this is DI, it's still worth making sure to record the signals direct into a DAW and ideally do a reamp of a dry guitar signal that you record to compare both the KPA and the original amp using the switch on the KPA as otherwise listening through speakers with both going and while you can hear your guitar strumming too will never give you a clear picture.

8 ) The result from a DI will have it's own cabinet which is a part of that sound. Disabling it will give you what the KPA thinks the preamp on it's own sounds like (the cab seems to represent power amp and cab), but often that's not necesary. Don't disable or replace if your'e going through the same setup as the pre-amp was originally.

Anyhow, I hope some of that helps.

Reason, Live and Logic, via an Apogee Ensemble under OSX but when I'm in Windows it's routed through my old HD500 instead, at some point I need to sell the Ensemble and change to something more cross platform as I spend most of my time these days in Windows.

Yes, on most forums clicking the logo at the top brings you out ot the main website. It bothered me too a little bit that there aren't any links to the main website, especially to areas like the profile exchange.

It does sound very odd. SPDIF is just digital IO, 0 is 0 and 1 is 1, (or 0% is 0% and 100% is 100%). There really shouldn't be any clipping going on, unless on the driver/control panel for your audio unit it's been set up to have additional gain (for example a non SPDIF option but I know that on the Pod HD control panel there's an option to boost he signal 18dB).

Do you get clipping when in standalone mode? i.e. using hardware monitoring and not connected to the computer.

Best if you do record and share and example of it, then at least Christoph will have something tangible to work with.

LMFAO! :thumbsup:

Good grief, that's hilarious although I'm sure it was more alarming than funny in person. It's probably more a case of envy than anything else and of course the issue of cost, when you've spent a lot on some beautiful amps an AxeFX etc and along comes this new kid with the big claims and it lives up to the hype then there's always the possibility that it'll put a few noses out of joint, especially if theyr'e fanboys. Anyhow, take it as a compliment, don't stress and go play some music while your child calms down and realises that his kit isn't suddenly worthless just because the Kemper can profile it and sound fantastic.

The Kemper wont put any amp manufacturers out of business, in fact in some cases people that own the Kemper have been inspired to go out and buy more amps based on the profiles they've used of those amps. The KPA exists solely to be used in conjunction with real amps after all. Bogner makes good money himself from Amp Sim's designed to sound like other amps through his Line6 work.

The other thing to point out to your friend is that the Kemper is just profiling one setting of his amp. Sure you can tweak it, but it's far form the full amp, and even if it were, would his amp suddenly be worthless? It's like imagining that photography makes fine art valueless.

Your friend just needs a sense of perspective, you've successfully blown his mind and you've discovered that not everyone reacts the same way to that event.

Per, was it the Axe version 6.0 (new presets) that you tried? I tried tones from version 5.0x and preferred KPA, which was why I went with KPA. Just curious how much improvement was there.

It's whatever is up on the exchange so probably 5.0. However I've not heard any examples to convince me that 6 is any different, it just seems the same as before but now with Match EQ. I'm not against people doing it, trying it out, making, sharing etc profiles they make with other amp sims, but I'd just like them to be well marked so that I can skip is all.

It can be a cool sound, but I have a bunch of cheap amp sims, pods, boss units etc that cover the "amp sim" ground pretty well already so I don't have a need for profiles of amp sims.

No, it is the sound and feel, there's no cheating in music (at least as far as I'm concerned).

The Axe presets I tried actually sounded terrible. Sorry, they were just 2 dimensional, dead and unresponsive and had all the hallmarks of a sim that I got the Kemper to avoid in the first place.

As the rig exchange doesn't offer sound samples, ratings or the like and the Kemper takes an age to install and reboot and then sift through then I'd just rather skip the dross. No offense meant to Axe users, I'm glad they're happy and can't tell the difference, but I'm just picky and as I work silly hours then I want to utilize the time I do get to spend on music and the Kemper to be as high quality as possible.

If anyone does, then please please please please pretty please with sugar on top make sure they're clearly marked as AxeFX/Modeller so those of us who prefer real amps can see that on the rig exchange and avoid downloading and installing them first to find out (I made the mistake before with the godawful Axe HiWatt model that sounds like cardboard).

Check the return level light on the KPA. I found I needed a preamp, even with an SM57/58 at anything under deafeningly loud in order to get it loud enough to avoid that message.

I hear you Radley, for sure the value proposition could be improved and I'd welcome new and more effects. But at the same time the whole reason I bought the Kemper was for that self same core functionality of copying and sounding like a real amp warts and all. Nothing else does that that I've heard. I have other cheaper FX units and amp sims for sounding like amp sims (which I've never found a desirable quality, because if I wanted to play a synth I'd have practiced harder at my keyboard lessons), and on the recording side my DAW software offers me more effects than I could ever possibly use. But yes, while for me it's fulfilled it's requirement for the most part, for the dough the Kemper absolutely is not complete and needs further work and improvement. The FX, librarian, perform mode, etc are certainly below what you'd expect, and in the meanwhile the competition will improve and at some point catch up with where the KPA is now.

Tone Matching is simply "Match EQ", it's a basic old trick in most DAWs, you sample the frequencies over time for a source clip, do the same for a destination clip (in this case a simple internal sine sweep through a sim will do), subtract the difference and that's your new EQ curve. You can then do things like adjust the resolution/smoothing fade in the top/bottom adjustments or the overall effect amount in a normal match eq plugin so I'd assume the same for the Axe.

No audio DNA or magic or other marketing nonsense, just basic stuff. It doesn't affect the sound much (or at least any more than an IR does, which to me doesn't at all, a DI signal through an IR still sounds like a DI signal with an EQ on it), but if you start out with a source that's in characteristic somewhat close to the source then it can sometimes help get you a little bit closer, and more importantly not as jarring within the mix.

Personally I think it'd be a cool addition to the Kemper as well for those in cover and function bands needing to quickly nail those tones, or for situations where a set of mix stems come from a different studio/location and you need to maybe retrack a small section.

Yes should be interesting, although the example so far still sound like an AxeFX to me rather than an amp, just with matcheq on it, but that's probably because it's just a small group of beta testers, usually takes a while for the general userbase to get it and start getting some better examples out there.

It would be nice to group profiles by amp, and then us the "Type" dial in the top left of the screen to dial through all the variations and different profiles of that one amp rather than having to browse through them all as part of the main big list.