Posts by Per

48k, 24bit. Because I'm not just recording simple audio sources but also using synths and effects and I have no control over whether any plugins or even the DAW uses internal supersamoling or algorithmic integral to avoid artifacts. By shifting to 48k I move the frequency of artifacts and their harmonics up by 2-4k which is just enough while not using the disk space and processing power of 96k.

Just to add, what's "normal" is not the same as what's "desirable". No-one wants buggy software, but without a viable alternative and unfortunately so long as squishy organics are the ones doing the programming that's the way things are.

When it comes to bugs Kemper is actually incredibly good.

I have to ask again, what's actually stopping you from upgrading? Is there a specific bug? Or are you just scared from reading other peoples experiences (in which case can you link to what people have said?). Because right now this just sounds like a lot of hot air.

OP - Is there a specific bug that is stopping you from upgrading? Or are you just worried about updating because you have heard there are bugs?

As others have mentioned so long as humans are doing it it's pretty much impossible to have bug free software. Even the most heavily tested mission critical stuff still ends up having bugs, and yup, that includes the software running on aircraft, in your car, airports, hospitals, space probes and satellites. Remember just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it's not there.

All that can be achieved is the elimination of bugs that are reported. That's not the same thing as bugs that are encountered, if you find a bug and don't report it then there's every chance it wont get fixed, never assume the developer has found the same bug or that another user has reported it, no matter how obvious the bug might appear to you...

...especially if it's really obvious actually, because if it were as obvious as you assume then the developer wouldn't have let the bug slip through in the first place.

If you're just worried about potential bugs you have heard about then it's up to you if you want to upgrade or not. The way I read things - "Release" versions of the Kemper Firmware are versions that are described as stable, i.e. they have no known disruptive bugs and operate with a low failure tolerance suitable for professional use both live and in the studio and under normal operation you'd be highly unlikely to ever encounter any irregular behavior. In laymans speak, they're "bug free". There are plenty of versions after 3.3 available to upgrade to if you wanted to. If you are happy with how things are operating right now and don't need any of the newer features then there is no reason for you to update.

Really just a rough backing track this time, more delay action of course. And a discovery, probabyl obvious and well known to any old hand but all his time I've been compressing bass, I now rather think that's the wrong thing, I should be limiting it instead if I want to accentuate lots of saturated warmth but not totally take up all of the bandwidth in a mix.

Anyhow, enjoy.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Both the Axe and the Kemper are phenomenal units and are driven by brilliant people, Cliff is just a little more flawed than Christoph when it comes to customer relations but it's fantastic that he's right there and you can be in contact with him and the same goes for Christoph although to a lesser extent (don't see him posting as often here).

For me the Kemper just works out as the best option. And now with the new firmware 5.0 after using the delays I was struck with the thought that maybe we're heading into a new era of guitar where people are going to get over their worries about "amp sim tone" and start to mess around with effects again confident that they're not making things sound plasticky or digital. It was never a concern from the 60's up until the 90's then amp sims came along and everything became about trying to avoid sounding fake. The Kemper and other sims of analog effects have now got to the point that I feel it's safe to start messing around with FX again especially when they're at this level. What I love about the Kemper is that the FX are also really trying to nail that ultra rich but not quite pristine analog tone too.

Already requested this before and will request it again. The Kemper should have some standard LFO's for controlling all "pedal" options, would also come in real handy to extend the Tremelo effect too (desperately want a square gate option there).

Sounds great and a nice composition, too.
    What profile did you use?

Hey Ingolf, thanks! It's the AS Fan D'Lux 57 profile by Soundside.de (factory preset), I've been using this one quite a bit recently and liking it a lot. The delay is in the traditional slot and is just me messing around with the settings (haven't had time to download or try out the presets yet).

Hey guys, thanks!

@Monkey_Man - Yup the new delays are super sweet.

@waraba - The strings are a synth but outside of that, the drums and the little bit of organ and a couple of effect sounds in the middle bit it's really all just one guitar providing all that huge pad/organ sound. Towards the beginning there's a second guitar briefly but that's all. It's all done just using the crystal delay with one delay tuned an octave high, the other an octave lower then softening the delay sounds, the sound just sustains forever too, it's at the beginning as well as the end.

What are the risks of loading a "beta" version? Just more bugs?
    BTW Per that sounds waaaaayyy cool :thumbup:

Thanks!

Yeah beta versions just have more bugs, could have unwanted behaviors, could even crash or worse. It's at your own risk basically, so I wouldn't install if you're about to play a gig or use it in a session, at least till you've tested things out yourself to make sure that everything you need is going to run without glitch.

Loving the new delays so far, lots of vintage goodness to be had. Knocked out a quick noodle quickly with some of them

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just messing around with the new delays, lots of great vintage tones to be had in here.

Hey thanks. No intention to sound Irish :)

The pad is just one of the Reason 9 library pads called "Angelo" based around Thor with some additional echo and reverb that I've modified slightly and combined with a Mellotron Wine Glass and Mandolin to make it slightly thicker and more texturally interesting while keeping the 90'sTrance/EDM vibe with a touch of 70's thrown in there for good measure.

Although the acoustic guitar was a pain to beef up (in the end after a substantial amount of EQ I decided I needed to excite it with a Polar adding both an octve up and down which creates a really interesting slightly synthetic sound) the biggest problem was the bass which really showed some nasty wolf notes that I had to notch out leading to it being a tad too flubby, I wanted that bass to over-emphasised, but not completely block out everything else. The biggest problem there I suspect is my monitoring which lacks a lot of bass response so it's very hard to dial in.

Late night noodle, more into trance/ambient/eletronica really. But Kemper used for Bass Guitar on this track.

I get the feeling that the core has changed. We now have studio and merged profiles (as well as DI). And I believe the profiling algorithm itself has been improved so,that you no longer need to refine anywhere near as much, and which could also result in better quality profiles.

To me it's a case of - just because old profiles load and play the same doesn't mean that new ones are anything like them, they might not even utilize the same sim internally for the waveshaper or the frequency modification for all we know. The Kemper just plays old profiles the same as always, new ones could be totally different beasts.