Posts by Per

Why would you want to mic up a Kemper?!? That's like putting strings on a keytar.

Isn't the whole point of profiling to capture the sound of the amp as recorded, including mic and so on, thus giving you perfect and instant recall of that sound directly without having to additionally mic up a guitar cab again, figure out where your placement was before etc... otherwise why have DI and SPDIF? Why have a "cab" section?

My issue is that I've not yet found an IR verb that actually gives an authentic room sound. They all sound like a digital (with room eq) studio verb, clean, glassy, very nice often, but not harmonically resonant in the way the real deal is. The way I capture room is to literally add a mic in the room on playback and record the actual sound on a second track.

Additionally the main reason you go to a nice studio to record something is because of its space, the sound you get there, if you're not capturing that then whats the point of going there in the first place?

The Kemper just gets the frequency response of the combined cab, mic, pre and room. "Air" is the sound of the room (with the amp in it of course) including all the attributes of the room (think of it like a giant sound board), so reverb/reflections, resonance and resonant harmonics, sympathetic sounds, background noise. Both frequency effects and time based effects.

When you listen to a recording of a real guitar amp that hasn't been either sliced to heck or has a heavy handed noise gate on it then you will hear a surprising amount of room sound, even on close mic'd amps. One of the tells of digital amps is the lack of this natural fluffy reverb and sympathetic sound. It's too perfect, like a bass guitar with no wolf notes, or digital drum replacement. Great for pop, shit for rock. Unfortunatelay I've not yet heard a good digital verb that can accurately capture the whole room ambience and resonance, some IR's get close, but most just sound like studio verbs somehow when you slap em on a digital guitar track.

Christoph, I routinely hear people talking about the lack of "air" with the Kemper on sites such as Gearslutz and TGP. I've also said as much myself right from the beginning.

If you are aiming for excellence in guitar tone emulation - which obviously you are either as the creator or user of the KPA, then the subtle natural room reverberations and "air" should be considered as a significant factor, especially as the other parts of the amp emulation equation seem to have been solved at this point.

It's going to be in this area that you get the most bang for buck in terms of future development and advancement of "authenticity", or even just features for marketing.

To me the fender "twang" is a combinatinon of the right guitar, a tiny tiny touch of breakup in the treble, and biggest and most important - reverb. You gotta use the matchbox reverb on the kemper as that's the closest to a spring, but without it you will not have your fender twang. It's that slight predelay together with the original signal that gives it that tone and feel for me.

On smaller fender's you can sometimes get a tubeyness which for me is what happens when you're pushing the power section. It's a sound that i would describe as "chewy", you dig in and are rewarded with a non-linear breakup that cleans up fast as the strings ring out, but it's enough that rhythm playing sounds dirty while leads can be almost bell clean. The little champ is great at this, I've not been able to reproduce this exactly with the Kemper. Instead the breakup to clean seems much more linear than the real deal. The real thing is almost frequency based as much as volume based. So I guess the Kemper would have to emulate this by changing the volume of the input frequencies quite a bit, maybe even compressing some input frequencies. Perhands i should try using a pre/post eq to see if that could get closer to the effect.

I could be wrong but I thought that the "Strange metalic sound" thread was all about the aliasing issues that were present before FW 1.8?

Threads like this can be useful and result in positive changes, but I just think this thread is too confusing, too big for the Kemper team to be able to make heads or tails from. Heck I've been following it and I don't even know exactly what the issue (if there is an issue) is.

If anyone finds problems, or just things that need improving then it's best to make a new thread about it (and contact support), and of course back it up with examples and clear explanations of the problem.

Caught it on Netflix last year. It is a great documentary, although you start to get a knot in your stomach and a feeling of dread every time Rick Hall starts talking by the end. You know some horrific and/or tragic life scarring story is about to unfold and traumatize you some more - even if it did make him the genius he is.

Lots of great music in that thing too, if I ever got any talent and money I would love to go record something at FAME.

@sinmix - please clarify exactly what the issue is you have with the Kemper. No nods and whispers, hints, winks or likes. Just come out and say it, in simple terms for us simple folk - because we're all lost and it sounds like there's something important we should all know about and Kemper should definitely know about. But right now we don't and this oblique referencing is becoming infuriating.

@sinmix - So this is four real cabs with a single real amp. Not the Kemper with four different cab profiles. Right?

Sorry If I'm not following along too well at this point, the thread has become kinda unweildy and there are certain language barrier problems, so I'm not sure what the conclusion was exactly. Is it that the Kemper has a single high gain distortion sound only, or was it that there was a bug which is now fixed where the Kemper sounded the same no matter what, or something else entirely?

I installed 3.0.1 Seems to be working fine here, the merged profiles seem to be working better this time around. WIll experiment some more and I look forward to finding out SinMix's results with it.

Yes DigitalBliss how dare you try and be helpful! I think this is the first time anyone has ever inadvertently provided some minor misinformation on this forum ever. Good luck living with that.

I don't believe anything that was said was that offensive, there's no need to go upping the ante and starting flame wars where none yet exist. Try reading other peoples posts in the voice of Stephen Fry rather than Drill Sgt Hartman. :)

First I love Muse. The sound is super dry, but it's good that they're back with guitars. I guess I'm just not feeling this piece though, it sounds like a caricature of Muse, all the tropes in one place. Maybe that's the point, to be the dryly ironic corporock version.

With regards the politics debate, well avoiding politics on a site containing a multicultural collective is just common sense. The purpose of this site is to be support for Kemper owners, musicians, not to go out and pick fights. And if you don't think you're picking a fight when you talk politics then you don't know much about politics. Music is an artform and sometimes music is politics, but don't confuse that with the idea that politics is music, it isn't. There are better forums for discussing that stuff and there's no need to be insular to this forum to the extent that you must live your whole online life here :)

If you have an urge to get political then I really recommend doing so with your music, that's what it's there for. Of course there is no better way to halve your demographic and strengthen the short term conviction of your remaining fans but on the flipside it's also the genesis of many of the greatest pieces of modern music.

In my own opinion music forums are best used to network, discuss and learn the technical aspects of the process, everyone knows that everyone else has opinions but there's no need to be a baboon and actually flaunt them. There's plenty of other stuff to talk about and build connections and find common ground on.

Little noodle messing about with the latest firmware.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Anyone else noticed that all the new merged profiles are very hot on the output? I'm using the latest 3.0.1 beta and while the input remains green the output frequently hits red with the default settings on the rigs.