Posts by Per

Todays noodle more pop-punk ish

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Still exploring various UAD demos, today was Neve 88rs day, still loud. Bit more mids though which I like.

Very cool and superbly tasteful playing as always. Honestly it sounds pretty big to my ears! Has almost Muse like moments in there with that driving drum beat. I really like the dual guitars solo harmony moments.

I think the only thing you need to do in order to get it into “singing” territory is pick your favorite lead riffs in there and literally just repeat them a few times without any variation (except maybe the ending note) before moving to the next riff. And then revisit that motif maybe two or three times in the song. Which I know is absolute agony for a lead player, but that’s secret to getting something to stick in our dumb attention deficit heads :D

Thanks Mats_Nermark I think someone might have complained that other peoples work was disappearing in the flood of my dailies. I preferred it as separate threads too but understand the mods choice and want everyone to be happy.

If you prefer you can follow my noodle challenge more directly on

SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/per-anders

Or also I’ve started posting on these social media platforms
    TikTok https://www.tiktok.com/@p_e_r_music

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p_e_r_music/

Twitter https://twitter.com/per_anders

Thanks Monkey_Man I wasn’t sure if you’d be able to tolerate the extreme levels of compression and loudness on this track. Getting that “art of noise” drum sound required distortion on the snare, eq, compression, and for the first time I decided to try those mix bus thingies that UAD has, something called an API vision strip.

I know nothing about it so just used some random presets. Ugly looking thing but also made everything very… loud. I guess that’s the sound of 80s and even modern pop which is interesting, but also very hard sounding. I may scurry back to my 60s and 70s sounds with their mids and dynamics now.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Good progress! You can take the drums up a bit further in the mix. With the bass to get it audible on small speakers it’s all about rebalancing the frequencies, these days I no longer split the signal much instead I use a pultec style eq plugin to cull almost all of the bass signal at the 100hz setting (with a wide range) till it’s really just the mids and treble then I use the console mix fader to bring it up till it sounds there’s bass again (albeit light bass) and the balance sounds good. Finally I go back and use the bass gain in the pultec to do the bass mix itself instead of adjusting the mix fader itself, if necessary I’ll lower the bass attenuate slightly to bring it back too if the mids have been carved out too much.

The idea behind all of that is to level with the treble using the console so it’s audible on all speakers, but then make it nice sounding on systems where there is bass using the eq to level and bring back those frequencies.

So here we are, only a month to go till I'll have been doing this noodle challenge non-stop for a full year.

Thanks Monkey_Man , there’s just a severe deficit between potential and actual. I’m not too happy with the verse layout nor technical aspects and struggled to think of ways to elevate what’s there beyond the genre baseline, perhaps it’s a thing that needs more experience and maybe an additional hour or so. Fingers crossed it’s not simply not in me.

Tonights default unit of basic lowest effort pop, neither improved upon nor extended from the baseline