Posts by timowens

Absolutely... factory profiles, commercial profiles and free profiles are all great, but profiling your own amps is where the magic begins. I have never had so much fun with a digital processor. To me, tweaking modelers (and tone matching) has always been more frustrating than fun, but profiling my amps has been a blast.

To be honest, I think a few people over reacted about the thread title and everything went down hill from there. If everyone would have let it be then people reading the thread would simply see that Kemper went above and beyond to take care of that customer, instead, now there is a bunch of silly drama that doesn't look good for anyone. Sorry, but that's just my opinion.

You should also watch the "Free rigs and profiles" section of the forum, people will often post info and/or demos of their profiles which are in the Rig Exchange, and some people don't always post their rigs on rig exchange but rather put them in DropBox or something like that and provide a link for others to download them.

Oh, and the Amp Factory stuff is great, but personally I found Soundside had more of the sound that I was looking for, I'm not saying one is better than the other, they are both great, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Per, you have some valid points, but to be honest and I mean this with respect, I think that you are over reacting. At some point you need to realize that it is what it is, is it perfect, of course not, is it the best digital solution available today, to me and many others it most certainly is, but maybe it's not the unit for you.

Since I started this thread, I feel like I need to clarify something…

I was always an “Amp In The Room” kind of guy, I saw digital processors as a major compromise because not only did they not sound like an amp in the room, they felt and sounded sterile to me (including the Axe II). When I first tried the KPA live I was pleasantly surprised, did it sound like an amp in the room, no, but it was somehow very pleasant to play, it gave me the best controlled feedback that I’ve ever experienced with a digital processor, it didn’t sound like an amp in the room but it sure felt like it. In my classic rock band I play with another guitarist who always plays a tube amp, and IMHO the KPA was the first digital processor that was able to keep up with a real tube amp. I am starting to reconsider this need for “Amp In The Room” sound.

My whole point of this thread was this, the KPA, just like speaker IRs, does not capture the sound of the room. However, if an object is placed close enough to the speaker that will change everything, for example, I was using a flat LED lamp to see the speaker cone and position the mic, I left the LED lamp laying against the front of the speaker cab and sure enough the profile sounded like poo, I removed the lamp and redid the profile and it sounded great. But sitting the speaker cab in a tiny bathroom vs. a large sound treated studio will not make hardly any difference.

I am struggling with this. I currently own a band PA system where our mains are 2 x ELX112p's and for our shows, and I run my monitor out with cabs off into the return on my orange TH30. I understand that I am not going to hear "what goes out to the crowd." I just feel like, if I spend the loot on the CLR (is it REALLY worth "Double" the ELX112p?), am I dropping $1000 on a SUPER MONITOR? Are people using these as back line amps as well?

Good question. I've been using the ELX112P and it's really a good monitor for the price. I've used a couple of Carvin's, a JBL EON15G2 and QSC K10's and so far the ELX is the best IMHO. I want the best but I also hesitate to fork out $1000 for a monitor.

I own both an Axe II & KPA. You guys are just too poor to do the same........lol

That's not a very nice thing to say. And it's not true, some of us can afford both but have decided to not keep the Axe II, it is a great modeler, but it's not for everyone. The KPA just works better for me, maybe in a few weeks when the Axe II firmware 32.11 is released I'll feel different about the Axe II and give it another go, who knows...

I don't know where anyone thinks the KPA doesn't have "deep" editing parameters.

There is always a degree when compared to another product, but compared to modellers on the market, the KPA isn't exactly a stomp pedal.

FWIW, I never said that the KPA doesn't have any "deep" editing parameters, I said that IMHO it doesn't need any. I have never touched any of the "deep" editing parameters and I have been getting wonderful results. With the "other" device on the market you need those "deep" editing parameters, with the KPA you do not, in my mind it's as simple as that, so why make it more complicated than it needs to be.

During a profile I accidently bumped and made a loud <kerrang> sound with a metal object. That sound was played back as if it was in a loop embedded into the profile. But I don't need that example to know...room is a HUGE factor in sound quality

I had a similar experience, I have a company radio in my office and while profiling one day we got an alert on the radio, and when I went to refine the profile I could hear the alert that came across the radio, somehow the KPA recorded it and was playing it back, this happened two times.

That being said, I disagree, I'm finding that the room has little to no effect on the profile.

I posted this on TGP because I wanted to address my disagreement with someone on how the room affects an IR capture, but I thought I'd post it here too because I find it interesting to know that the room really doesn't have hardly any affect on your profiles (or IR's), in other words, you don't need to rent an expensive studio to create accurate profiles (or IR's), here's what I posted...

In another thread about "Amp In The Room" someone said "though it is common knowledge that the room heavily affects how the actual IR sounds, even if it is close mic'd when shot" and I wasn't so sure about this so I did some tests. I don't have an Axe II anymore but I do have a Torpedo Live which also captures IR's so I used that along with the KPA to test this theory. I setup my amp in my studio which has reasonable acoustic treatments, and I setup my amp in a small bathroom "as this fellow suggested" and did some tests. I captured an IR with the Torpedo Live in each room, I profiled the amp in each room, and I also recorded the amp directly in each room. Granted, from studio to bathroom is an extreme example, but sure enough, you can clearly hear the room in the amp recordings, but I can't hear hardly any difference in the KPA profiles or the IR recordings, can you?

Here's my point, "Amp In The Room" sound may be possible with a digital processor and FRFR montor, I don't know, but I will say that an IR or a profile does not contribute to the "Amp In The Room" sound because it simply does not capture any of the room sound. What say you ???

https://soundcloud.com/tim-owe…io-vs-bathroom-recordings

Please note: These recordings do not truly represent the sound of the KPA or Torpedo Live, I was simply testing the effects of the room on each device and I did not make any efforts to refine the profile or IR of either device, that and I'm just a guitar hack

-Tonestack location (Stack-EQ block before or after the amp block)
    -Tonestack type (Fender, Marshall, ...)

some more can be found here :D

Advanced Amp Parameters

I think tonestack location and type are great ideas, but I really don't see any need for deep editing features. To me, the KPA doesn't need deep editing features, personally I'd rather see Kemper focus on a dedicated foot controller, PC editor, etc. But that's just my personal opinion.

Thanks guys. I thought you needed a serial number to create an account for the exchange, I just tested that theory and I was wrong. It might help if Kemper would require a serial number just like they do for the private section of the forum. Maybe they could also show who voted for each profile. Either way, I can see your frustration, if this is truly happening it would be a shame.