Posts by timowens

Interesting Tim- thanks so much for your work on these- you're making me buy an i5

Thanks man! Yes, the i5 is a really good mic for the money, I actually got the idea to try it from samtheman's demos on TGP, I couldn't believe the tone he was getting out of one dynamic mic, of course he's one of those guys who can get a killer tone out of a Pignose amp, but that's besides the point.

I posted this thread before I even listened to the profiles. I have since compared the profiles to the last profiles that I did with the Scumback M75 speaker, I'm pretty sure that I prefer the M75 over the V30. But what I found interesting is that "in the room" the speakers sound much more different than they sound in the profiles, I suspect that this is because the V30 seems to be more efficient (louder) than the M75. When I compared the speakers through the real amp I kind of liked the V30, but all things equal, I prefer the M75.

Thanks Tim- I have the same speaker in my Port City 1x12 so I'll give that a try. It is certainly working for you!

Right on! Please let us know how that turns out, I've thought about picking up a Port City cab.

For me, these are the best freebie sets we have. Especially the DS. Thanks

Wow, that is a real compliment, I appreciate it. I am enjoying this community as much as I am enjoying the KPA, it feels good to be able to give something back to the community.

Dirty Shirley – Take Two
    Here are some more profiles of the Friedman Dirty Shirley, this time with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. I was running short on time this time so I only profiled the amp with the Audix i5 microphone. There are 20 profiles total so I put them in DropBox. Essentially, I profiled the amp with different gain settings. Gain 1 through 10 with both the low and high inputs, and with an Audix i5 mic.

The profiles are named like this: “DS-L i5 05 V30”
    DS = Dirty Shirley
    L = Low Input or H = High Input
    i5 = Audix i5 microphone
    05 = Gain at 5 or 08 = Gain at 8
    V30 = Celestion Vintage 30 speaker

The tone controls were like this:
    Presence = 5
    Bass = 5
    Mid = 8
    Treble = 6
    Master = 2

The files are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0iseqdevhnc6zlr/rj1isQ8hOZ
    Please let me know what you think.

Splawn Quick Rod - 3rd Gear

Here is the Splawn Quick Rod in 3rd Gear. First Gear is here: Splawn Quick Rod - 1st Gear

I was running short on time so I only profiled 3rd Gear with the Audix i5.

NOTE: The QR doesn't have numbers on the dials so I went with O'Clock settings, but, long story short, I had to go with 24 hour time, so 9:00 is 09oc, 1:00 is 13oc, 5:00 is 17oc, etc. This let me use the O'Clock method and the profiles are sorted correctly, low to high gain settings.

The profile names work like this:
    "QR-3rd 11oc i5 BST" Means, QuickRod, 3rd Gear, Gain at 11:00, Audix i5 mic, Boost On
    "QR-3rd 17oc i5" Means, QuickRod, 3rd Gear, Gain at 5:00, Audix i5 Mic, No Boost

There are 17 profiles total so I put them in DropBox instead of clogging up the Rig Exchange.

Here is the link to the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hzgnijkp8gy4tqz/o_Vp_vTlK1

Interesting note: When I got to the last profile, gain at max with the boost on, the KPA wouldn't profile the amp, it said that there was too much noise or hiss, this is the first time I've run into this problem. It said to lower the gain of the amp, but since I already profiled the amp at a lower gain I just skipped the last profile.

Gotcha, I meant more how you positioned the mic on the speaker- how far away and what position to the speaker? Your profiles sound better than what I'm pulling out of my amp- love the DS & the QR!

Okay, sorry about that. The i5 was placed 1.5 inches away from the grill cloth and 1.2 inches to the left of the edge of the dome, the SM57 was placed 1.5 inches away from the grill cloth and 0.6 inches to the left of the edge if the dome. Both mics were on axis (straight). The cab is an Avatar Vintage 112 closed back and the speaker is a Scumback M75 65W 8 ohm.

Just got through all these & jammed away. I owned this amp twice & can tell you these are spot on! I think I like the audio better on these but it's close. How are you mixing that 1x12 cuz it sounds really full?

Thanks badtoneno, but I'm not sure that I understand your question. I used either the i5 or the SM57, one at a time, and I ran the mic straight into the Kemper so there was no mixing going on.

Hi Mavid, I have no idea why that is happening, I just clicked on the link to dropbox and it shows the files at 4kb. Have you checked the link today, I know they did some maintenance on dropbox earlier this week. If all else fails PM me your email and I can send them to you in an email.

I have a hand full of mic's and I've tried single and dual mic's but I keep going back to using a single dynamic mic going straight into the KPA, either the tried and true SM57 or the Audix i5. If I had to choose one mic right now it would be the i5, but it can be a bit bright on certain profiles and in that case the SM57 seems to be a bit smoother but I'm not so sure that I like it on most profiles. What mic's have you guys have good luck with? Do you find certain mic's work better with certain types of tones?

I've been spending all of my time with a Friedman Dirty Shirley lately, but the other day I had the opportunity to play one of those smooth-singing high gain leads and I ended up using one of my old Quick Rod profiles, and it was great. So I dusted off the QR and made a bunch of profiles, everything is the same except that I profiled it at various gain settings and I profiled it with both the Audix i5 and Shure SM57. The QR doesn't have numbers on the dials so I went with O'Clock settings, but, long story short, I had to go with 24 hour time, so 9:00 is 09oc, 1:00 is 13oc, 5:00 is 17oc, etc. This let me use the O'Clock method and the profiles are sorted correctly, low to high gain settings.

The profile names work like this:
    "QR-1st 11oc i5 BST" Means, QuickRod, 1st Gear, Gain at 11:00, Audix i5 mic, Boost On
    "QR-1st 17oc SM" Means, QuickRod, 1st Gear, Gain at 5:00, Shure SM57 Mic, No Boost

There are 36 profiles total so I put them in DropBox instead of clogging up the Rig Exchange.

Here is the link to the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hecyyb97eqs8rjs/e6RggjlfFj

I've been questioning the accuracy of the Kemper, I've been finding that sometimes my profiles don't sound like the amp, but I did a test tonight and now I'm pretty sure that I've been doing something wrong because this thing is so accurate that it's mind boggling.

In this test, I setup my amp next to the Kemper but I put the speaker in another room. I profiled the amp, then I recorded a riff of the profile, then I selected the Ref Amp on the Kemper and played the same riff, then I unplugged the mic from the Kemper and plugged it into my audio interface and played the same riff, then I unplugged my guitar from the Kemper and plugged it directly into the amp so the Kemper was totally bypassed and played the same riff, I did this several times. So here's what you'll here...

Guitar into Kemper, Kemper into DAW, the profile (still in profile mode)
    Guitar into Kemper, Kemper into amp, mic into Kemper, Kemper into DAW, Ref Amp (still in profile mode)
    Guitar into Kemper, Kemper into amp, speaker mic plugged into DAW
    Guitar into amp, speaker mic plugged into DAW (Kemper totally bypassed)

Then, just as a sanity check, I saved the profile, went into browse mode and selected some different profiles and then selected the profile that I just made and recorded a riff, it's still the same.

Note, before I made the recordings I tried to get the recording levels within 1 dB of each other, but during mixdown they ended up being slightly more different, but I didn't want to skew the results so I only cut and pasted each clip together without trying to adjust the levels or anything, to me, even though the levels are slightly different they are close enough that you can tell whats going on without the FM curve affecting things too much.

Also, A/B challenges are fun but this time I didn't want to do that so I left the voice track in there so you will hear me tell you what you are hearing each time.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-owens-2/kpa-vs-dirty-shirley-in

I did some more profiles of the Friedman Dirty Shirley. There are 40 profiles total so I put them in DropBox. Essentially, I profiled the amp with different gain settings and different mic’s. Gain 1 through 10 with both the low and high inputs, and with both an i5 and an SM57 mic.

The profiles are named like this: “DS-L i5 05” or “DS-H SM57 08”
    DS = Dirty Shirley
    L = Low Input or H = High Input
    i5 = Audix i5 microphone or SM57 = Shure SM57 microphone
    05 = Gain at 5 or 08 = Gain at 8

The tone controls were like this:
    Presence = 5
    Bass = 5
    Mid = 8
    Treble = 6
    Master = 2

The files are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gh4a6py7whbdpmb/uJQK1CZhu0