Posts by timowens

timowens I just checked your current ticket and our support staff has responded to each of your emails. Please check your spam folder.

We have forwarded your case to the service team in Denver. They will contact you on Monday.

Thanks for checking on my support case, I have checked my spam and junk folders and I can't find any replies to my last three emails. I do appreciate you looking into this and look forward to hearing from the Denver team.

Sure seems like a ground issue.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mine has the same problem, it worked fine the first evening and then this same noise started the second evening. I've been waiting 22 days for a fix, and I haven't heard from support for 16 days now so I'm kind of frustrated.

I’m getting this ticking through my Stage. I’ve changed from a guitar cabinet to an Alto TS310 to the send/return of an amp to the input of a solid state amp.

It’s kind of always the same volume, and it’s fairly low. Does this sound what you guys are getting? This is the second stage I've had as it was doing it on the last one and I got it replaced.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I had an issue with a different piece of equipment that sounded almost exactly like this, it turned out that it was interference from the Wi-Fi router in the room, when I powered the Wi-Fi off the noise stopped. I sent the device to the manufacturer and whatever they did reduced the noise a lot but it was still there. Just FYI...

Okay, what about this... the load in the Two Notes is defeated if you connect a cabinet to the Torpedo with the through port. This would leave the amplifier interacting with an actual speaker, but the output of the Two Notes could go to the profiler.

What are your thoughts on this?

That's how I would do it. You need to do some tests so you can hear the results for yourself, that's really half the fun :)

That being said, IME and IMHO the load in the Torpedo Live is not the best, at least it doesn't compare to my actual cabs. On the other hand, making an IR of my cab with the Torpedo and using it to make profiles works really good as long as the amp is loaded down with the actual speaker cab.

Ok, so this is really silly/petty but here goes...

I like how the Kemper DI kind of looks like the toaster but here's the issue, when you use the DI it sits on top of your amp or the Kemper and the connectors in most cases need to be at the rear because that's where all of the connections are made on the amp and Kemper. So, while the side with the connectors looks cool with the logo and all you end up looking at the rear of the DI which has no logo or anything.

Like I said, this is really silly/petty, but it would be nice if there was a logo or something on the side that you always see instead of a blank panel.

Thank you for your consideration of this serious matter :)

Funny, during the first half I couldn't hear any difference, but during the second half I could, haha. I'm pretty sure that my eyes were playing tricks on my ears :)

I've done a few A/B tests myself since day one so I already know how close the Kemper is, but yet I still enjoy watching/listening to A/B demos, I guess because it never ceases to amaze me just how close the Kemper is to the real deal.

Nice work and thanks for sharing!

He's amazing! The Oxygene album was in high rotation in my walkman as a kid.

Dang, this is giving me flash backs, as soon as I read your post that song popped into my head and it's been like 40 years since I last heard it. That guy was certainly ahead of his time.

I'm curious, was the 11th profile made after rebooting the Kemper?

I had a similar problem once, there was more distortion in the profile then what should have been and I tried it several times, I even tried making a clean profile and it came out distorted. I tried several things to fix the problem including changing cables, using the 1/4 inch return instead of the XLR and I rebooted the KPA. Unfortunately I did all three things at the same time so I'm not sure what fixed the problem but it was working correctly after that.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I think - legally - that the difference is that the IR comes with a specific license stating what you can and can't do with it.

Ethically... Good question. The IR is basically a very limited representation of the cab (based the "author's" own personal expertise and taste). The profile made based on that IR is, conversely (at least potentially) NOT a limited representation of the IR, and NOT based on the person doing the profile's own expertise and taste, wrt. to the IR portion.

Good point.

So Marshall designs, manufactures and sells a speaker cab, this is the holy grail of guitar tone and everyone wants it. A guy buys one and makes an IR of that cab and sells the IR's for a profit. Then you make a Kemper profile of an amp using that IR and sell it. What's the difference? Does the guy making the IR pay Marshall royalties? Just a thought...

1) Personally, I don't see anything wrong with using IR's to make profiles for free or for sale. Of course I'm not a lawyer, this is just my uneducated opinion. I wouldn't ask the IR vendor though, I would ask a lawyer. You might post your question on The Gear Page, I think there's a patent attorney that hangs out there.

2) I've actually tested making a profile with a cab and mic vs. making a profile with an IR of the same cab and mic and I can't tell any difference, but I don't claim to have golden ears :) BTW, I used the Torpedo CAB for that test.

Using a load box is a different story, of course it depends on the quality of the load box. But if you are happy with the results then it's probably fine. For my test I loaded the amp down with the same speaker cab so there was no difference in that regard.

HTH

External Content soundcloud.com

External Content soundcloud.com

What do you think, how important are room acoustics when making studio profiles?

Do you think that you need an acoustically treated room to make good profiles?

Do you think that some simple acoustic treatments will suffice?

Do you think that it doesn't matter at all?

I'm also curious how you came to your conclusion. Is it an assumption, it is based on technical data, have you done some testing to reach your conclusion?

You mentioned using "moving blankets over the amp and mic(s) to eliminate any sounds bouncing around", IMHO room acoustics don't make much if any difference when making profiles. I'm curious if you have tried making profiles with and without the moving blankets to see if there is any difference.

You are right-my bad-sorry about that. The return input is actually TRS and therefore balanced like the XLR. Both are sharing the same circuity though and there is no difference regarding their input sensitivity. The level of the return signal is controlled by the return level parameter for both inputs. I can see how one could interprete the wording in the manual to believe that one was exclusively for line signals and the other for microphones but it was confirmed by our tech team that there is no difference between the TRS and the XLR return.
    The Profiler automatically adjusts the Return level parameter after the first profiling attempt.
    Have you tried to profile through the XLR multiple times or did you switch to the TRS input immediately after the first failed attempt? In that case the automatically adjusted return level parameter was probably the reason why the second attempt resulted in a better profile.

Thank you for the quick reply. It's been a long time since I had this issue and I've been using the 1/4" ever since, I would need to try and duplicate it again to refresh my memory, it just made sense to me that using the 1/4" would have fixed my problem based on what the manual says but now that doesn't seem to be the case so I'm not really sure what was happening back then.

Thank you for the official reply. I do have a couple of questions.

It sounds like you are saying that the 1/4" return is unbalance, but the manual says "The RETURN input is available as balanced TRS or XLR input". Can you clarify if the 1/4" is balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (TS)?

In an older manual it says
    "Return and Alternative Input (4)
    Use these inputs to connect the output of external equipment with your Kemper Profiler. Their main use is for profiling - use either input as the return from the reference amp. Use the quarter-inch input to take a line-level signal from a digital amp, speaker simulation or subgroup of a mixing desk. Use the XLR input as appropriate, for instance with a microphone. Please note that the Kemper Profiler’s XLR input does not provide phantom power".
    This would seem to indicate that the XLR is mic level and the 1/4" is line level. Is this an error in the manual or maybe I'm not reading it correctly?

Is it possible that the XLR return is damaged on my unit while the 1/4" is not? I ask because when I had this problem switching to the 1/4" definitely fixed the issue. That was a long time ago, maybe I should do some more testing to verify?

Thank you.

Very cool, thanks for the update, glad to hear it.