Posts by timowens

Tim, when you say it was distorting, were you getting a message on the K PA telling you that the signal is too hot?

No, but I knew there was a problem when I couldn't make a clean profile, every time I tried to make a clean profile it came out distorted. Then when I switched to the 1/4" the clean profiles came out clean as they should.

That might be a good way to test this idea with your setup, see if you can make a clean profile. When you select clean amp during the profiling process if the Kemper detects distortion it will tell you that you just profiled a distorted amp after the profiling process, that what it was doing to me, and when I played the profile it was indeed distorted (yet the amp was perfectly clean).

i'm just using a standard mic cable...what would the difference be, or were you just checking to make sure there wasn't an actual issue with my Kemper?

The XLR input has a mic preamp so it is very sensitive, the 1/4" is a line level input so it can handle a much higher level. In my case I was over driving the XLR input causing distortion and when I switched to the 1/4" it fixed my problem. Hope that helps.

Hey Tim, do you mean to get a cable that is XLR at one end, and quarter inch jack at the other end? Have you found more success doing it (Direct profiles) this way?
    I have been just using a regular microphone cable XLR at both ends… The other question… I have been using a 20 foot XLR cable, is it better (sonically) to use a much shorter cable? Or does it make any difference…

Yes, I've had problems making direct profiles using the XLR return. I happened to have an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable on hand so I gave it a try and it fixed my problem. Personally, I don't think the length of the cable is a big deal, at least in this application.

I just got my new profiler and I was surprised that the direction to switch performances cannot be changed. For me it feels wrong that way and it often happens that I return to the same song we already played minutes before. It is hard to get used to that for me.

I saw in several posts in January 2017, April 2017 and even before that I am not the only one beiing irritated with that.

As proposed I open the topic again. Would be nice to get an answer by Kemper.

Ditto, to me the buttons are backwards, I don't know if I'll ever get used to it. I don't know why that is, it really doesn't seem like a big deal but for whatever reason I just can't get used to it. I would really like the option to swap the buttons in the settings.

Thank you for your support :)

If you don't care about a floor unit why do you feel the need to shoot down everyone's request for one? I really like my Kemper but to be honest I've been using my AX8 because it's a floor unit, at my age one less thing to carry to a gig and setup makes a big difference. I'm realistic, I don't expect a $500 floor unit, I would be happy to pay $1100.00 which is the current price of the AX8, maybe more depending on what features are included. IMHO, if Fractal, Line 6 and many others can produce a floor unit then I'm pretty sure that Kemper could too if they wanted to without cutting into the further development of the rack/toaster versions.

Hello Tim,

Just curious...I could not find that wording in either the Reference Manual or the Profiling Guide. Did you cut and paste these instructions from some other manual?

Cheers,
    John

Hi John,

Yes, I did copy and paste from "The Basics & Profiling Guide 2013". It is in the description of the back panel. Search for "Return and Alternative Input". To me the text indicates that the XLR has a mic preamp whereas the 1/4" does not (and this makes sense), so it would be easy to overdrive the XLR input with anything other than a mic. This makes me wonder why Kemper used an XLR out on their DI box.

Anyway, I know that switching to the 1/4" fixed my problem, I'm curious if anyone else can test this to see if it fixes their problem too.

I'm using the XLR, as that is what the Kemper DI box is set up to use. It worked for a few sessions then went rogue on me. The input and output lights are green when profiling, so the signal should be good.

I had the same problem and switching to the 1/4" input fixed it for me. The 1/4" is balanced so you only need a cable that goes from XLR to 1/4" TRS. It's worth a try...

I'm curious, are you guys using the XLR or 1/4" Return Input on the KPA? When doing DA profiles the output of the DI box can be pretty hot and if you are using the XLR input it could be over driving it.

From the manual: Use the quarter-inch input to take a
    line-level signal from a digital amp, speaker simulation or subgroup of a mixing desk. Use the XLR input
    as appropriate, for instance with a microphone.

Hope that helps.

I've been thinking, this subject reminds me of the Boss GT-10 cocked wah issue but on a much smaller scale. When I first got the GT-10 I took it to a jam session and the other guitarist said it sounded like the wah pedal was stuck on and he was right. Ever since then I could hear that cocked wah sound in most presets that had a fair amount of gain, the sound was stuck in my head and it drove me crazy. On the GT Central forum (is that the right name?) it was a very hot and disputed topic, people who didn't hear the cocked wah thought we were crazy, the discussions got very heated at times, they eventually created a sub forum just for cocked wah discussions.

Now the tables have turned, people are complaining about an issue with the KPA that I don't hear. At least a couple of you said that you hear the issue in my profiles, but I just don't hear it. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you don't hear something, I'm just saying that I don't hear it and I've been thinking that I don't want to hear it because if I do then it will be stuck in my head like the GT-10 cocked wah was and I'll never be able to get rid of it.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense and I wish you guys the best of luck getting this issue fixed.

I just tried those QuickRod profiles, and I think that I like them even better than your Friedman profiles, which I love!

Thank you! I think Splawn amps are very underrated, this is the first amp I've ever bought where when I first got it I simply set all the tone controls at noon and hit a power chord and was floored by the tone, it's really hard to get a bad tone out of this thing.

Anyway, if you hear any of the issues discussed in this thread in these profiles let me know, maybe we can do some more tests to help narrow it down.

I don't know if this will be of any help but I thought I'd share it just in case it does offer some help. I have made a ton of profiles and I've never heard these issues but in one of the previous demos that someone posted in this thread I clearly heard an issue. Today I made some profiles of my Friedman BE100 and Splawn Quick Rod, I'm not a metal player but some of these, especially the QR are pretty high gain. I wonder if anyone can hear the issue in these profiles, if so let me know and maybe we can try to narrow it down. I always make Merged profiles so I saved both the Direct Amp and Studio profiles along with the Merged profiles. The last letter in the name tells you what type of profile it is, D=Direct Amp S=Studio and M=Merged. There is also a ReadMe.txt file with some more info in the folder.

If anyone wants to give them a try you can download them from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/inq…yY-Cnpt8njDNg3_9ly0a?dl=0

The reason why not more users care for merged profiles is because more and more guitarists embrace FRFR.

I guess I'm old school, to me guitars into a FRFR monitor are like digital drums, they can sound fantastic in a recording but in a live situation they simply don't sound like real drums, they sound like a recording. I learned this lesson in my last classic rock band where I was running the KPA and a CLR while the other guitar player was running a real amp. After I switched to merged profiles and a real guitar cab our sounds out front were much more equal (before that he was kicking my butt).

I honestly blame it on Kemper themselve....they never explained it well to the users how to do it..and why do it etc.
    I had to explain it million times to users till they did understand it..and many still don´t understand it.
    Also there is still a good official tutorial video missing
    and there were many with bad results because of user error, so that some people think its not as good as a studioprofile

Excellent points!

Because despite the hype merged profiles don't sound the same as the studio versions, the studio ones sound more accurate to the miced tone.

That and the extra effort involved, it's important for someone using an actual guitar cab to monitor, but otherwise it's a bit niche. I'm sure more people are hearing their Kemper through flat response style speakers, whether in a studio, via a wedge monitor, items, PA etc, in those situations the merged profiles don't add anything and in fact only deviate from the source a hit further.

This is not my experience. I did this test when this feature was first released, it includes all scenarios. I made a Direct Amp and Studio profile, then I merged the cab from the Studio profile to create a Merged profile. Then I played a riff into a looper and used that to record all of the following, but not in this order:

Looper-->Amp-->Cab-->Mic’s-->Mixer-->DAW
    Looper-->KPA (merged profile with cab disabled) -->QSC Power-->Cab-->Mic’s-->Mixer-->DAW
    Looper-->KPA (DA Profile) -->QSC Power-->Cab-->Mic’s-->Mixer-->DAW
    Looper-->KPA (full profile) -->DAW
    Looper-->(new merged profile) -->DAW

They all sound pretty darn close to me, can you tell which is which?

https://soundcloud.com/tim-owens-2/test-new-kpa-firmware

What does FOH get? Or do you mic the cab? Just curious. Never used the merged and I'm pretty new to the KPA.

With merged profiles you can disable the cab in the profile and send that signal to your stage monitor while sending the full profile (including the mic and cab) to the FOH. Or you could mic your cab on stage if you prefer (or if the sound guy insist on micing your amp).

When Kemper first gave us the ability to make merged profiles I spent a lot of time making direct, studio and merged profiles and doing A/B comparisons and I was blown away. Ever since then I have only used merged profiles with a real guitar cab, quite honestly because they sound just like my actual amps. I don't understand why merged profiles aren't more popular, they are incredibly easy to make, they just take a little more time but it is so worth it. I suspect this is because 1) it does take a little more time and effort, and 2) because most people use FRFR monitors and merged vs. studio profiles don't make any difference when using a FRFR monitor. But for me, I never play on a stage where my amp can't be heard out front and to me there is a huge difference between FRFR and a real guitar cab on stage in that situation, not to mention the pleasure of having a real guitar cab as a monitor along with the interaction between the guitar and cab (like controlled feedback).

I guess I would just like to encourage those who have the means to try a few merged profiles, if you have a decent solid state power amp and a guitar cab give it a go, you might be surprised how much is sounds like a live amp as opposed to a recorded amp, and in a live situation I would take a live amp over a recorded amp any day.